Portrait shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

chjing

Sep 11, 2006
anyone can briefly tell me how to take good portrait shots?

nah ... he only knows (and I suspect enjoy as well) how to point out the things in an image which he doesn't like ... not guide you to better portraits. To the threadstarter, take it with a pinch of salt of who you decide to listen to in this forum. Not all advise are given in good faith.

The best is to experiment it yrself cos what others like may be not what u like.

how to take good portait shots ?

Join charby's shoots lor..... :bsmilie:

everytime u attend sure got pros there to guide u one....

no joke... this is true.. ;)

Some people are just born natural when it comes to portrait shooting .... they have the x-factor. They may just start shooting and they learn from mentors, others, read, critics, and they naturally progress to good portrait shooters. Some, no matter how hard they try, they just cant produce any good shots ...
Start shooting, show the images to people and listen to what they say ... and after 6 months and if you dont think you have improved, then probably it's time to change to some others .... that my honest observation.
Keep shooting...

how to take good portait shots ?

Join charby's shoots lor..... :bsmilie:

everytime u attend sure got pros there to guide u one....

no joke... this is true.. ;)

Yap, agree on this one..... Shoot more by joining one of Charby's outing. One of my buddy's portraiture skills improved a lot after a couple of shoots with guidance from more experienced photographers.

:thumbsup:

Just don't get caught up with what you perceive to be the "correct technique", else your images will look like everyone elses. Stale.

Ask Deadpoet, the portrait expert.

Let me clarify my comments.

A lot of us here, including me, take pictures of people. But apart from Deadpoet, I know of no one who specifically claims to do portrait photography. Hence the referral to Deadpoet. However digit is right. Deadpoet did say he does portrait photography. Actually we do not know if he really knows what portrait photography is about because we really have not seen much of his images. But he is very good at finding faults with other people's images.

Now coming back to your question.

What do you really have in mind when you said "portrait shots". Well, I know you want to take pictures of people wth their faces. But there are fashion types images such as thoe by Skye Tan, or more beauty shots like those taken by berryhappy. There are also those who takes spontaneous portraits. Are you interested in a specific genre of portrait photography?

Please clarify your intent, and perhaps we can advise you further.

It's important to get your basics right first....as you shoot more and more, your style will evolve naturally. Some people are faster while some might have to take some time to reach what he himself as the photographer, perceived as 'good' portraits.:)

Let me clarify my comments.

A lot of us here, including me, take pictures of people. But apart from Deadpoet, I know of no one who specifically claims to do portrait photography. Hence the referral to Deadpoet. However digit is right. Deadpoet did say he does portrait photography. Actually we do not know if he really knows what portrait photography is about because we really have not seen much of his images. But he is very good at finding faults with other people's images.

Now coming back to your question.

What do you really have in mind when you said "portrait shots". Well, I know you want to take pictures of people wth their faces. But there are fashion types images such as thoe by Skye Tan, or more beauty shots like those taken by berryhappy. There are also those who takes spontaneous portraits. Are you interested in a specific genre of portrait photography?

Please clarify your intent, and perhaps we can advise you further.

jesus, give it up dude. its not like he slept with your wife or something..

The remarks towards Deadpoet are irrelevant and unecessary. Please refrain from doing so going forward. Thanks!

Practise , practise and practise...try go to the library and borrow book to read

The remarks towards Deadpoet are irrelevant and unecessary. Please refrain from doing so going forward. Thanks!

I disagree.

Take things into context, meaning the intent of the TS.

Please explain in detail (preferably dissecting every word I wrote) why my recommendation and subsequent clarification are irrelevant and unnecessary.

Tell me exactly which statements are untrue. If you cannot point out specific inaccuracies in my comment, then please retract your comments.

jesus, give it up dude. its not like he slept with your wife or something..

#1 Stop your blasphemy.

#2 You have nothing better to do? If you have anything to say that might do some justice to the human brain, then go to the "Stephanie" thread instead of spewing trash here.

i suggest three steps;

1. admiration
2. imitation
3. improvisation

step 1: "admiration": find out what portrait shots inspire you. study and appreciate the works of the best portrait photographers, through books, the internet, photo exhibitions etc.

step 2:"imitation": ask yourself whether you can imitate these works as closely as possible. try setting up the shot to achieve the same effect as the famous portrait photographer. experiment with your models/subjects to achieve similar poses, expressions, effects backdrop etc.

step 3: "improvisation": having discovered what it takes to make a super portrait photograph, develop your own style. don't be afraid to do something differently from the "masters" if it results in a photo that elicits more feeling and impact.

"#1 Stop your blasphemy."

ill do what i like thank you very much. if you dont like that, then...well thats just tough for you isnt it.

"#2 You have nothing better to do? If you have anything to say that might do some justice to the human brain, then go to the "Stephanie" thread instead of spewing trash here."

heh. me nothing else better to do. so says the man who has nothing else better to do that to waste his time here spewing diatribes against DP. theres a word in the dictionary for that. its called hypocrite. in any event, thanks for the invite, but ive already made my points. so here endeth the lesson, student.

Status
Not open for further replies.