Portrait shot using kit lens

xxrenxx

Aug 4, 2010
Eunos
Hi guys, i have own a k-x and was wondering can i take full portrait shot with blur background?
Half portrait shot with blur background is easily done but what about full body portrait?

DAL 18-55mm kit lens

Last edited:
Try this....

• Use the smallest aperture number
  • Position the subject far away from the background
  • Zoom to the max
  • Stand very close to the subject

If all else fail... use BOKEH :bsmilie:

Try this....

• Use the smallest aperture number
  • Position the subject far away from the background
  • Zoom to the max
  • Stand very close to the subject

correct me if i am wrong

But i am using this setting for half portrait (half body/head) shot only.

So if i
zoom to the max
Position person far away from background
Stand backward until fully person is in view (zooming to the max)

can i blur the background with full person focus?:)

is Bokeh(in Japanese refer to blur) and bluring of background the same??:dunno:

Last edited:
correct me if i am wrong

But i am using this setting for half portrait (half body/head) shot only.

So if i
zoom to the max
Position person far away from background
Stand backward until fully person is in view (zooming to the max)

can i blur the background with full person focus?:)

is Bokeh(in Japanese refer to blur) and bluring of background the same??:dunno:

it is unlikely...

with the kit lens.. the aperture is not wide enought to do it at full body length portrait..

Bokeh(background blur) is determined by the distance between your subject and the background.. you can change this but there's a max you can go

the distance between you and the subject.. you can go nearer, but for full body you will have to be soem distance away..

the lens aperture.. you can make this the widest.. but with the kit lens.. there is the limitation already...

It will be a challenge using for full body shots using the kit lens with a small aperture.
Maybe you can consider using photoshop to enhance the bokeh.

So with my kit lens a full body portrait is quite hard but i can go for a half portrait with blur background am i right?

Bokeh and bluring of background is actually the same thing and to produce different bluring effect(bokeh) the distance and amount of light i have plays a part?

Correct me if i am wrong. :D

Shooting full body using kit lens, you can still blur the background, but the blur is not that blur lor. But if the background is very far, it will be more blur lor.

So with my kit lens a full body portrait is quite hard but i can go for a half portrait with blur background am i right?

Bokeh and bluring of background is actually the same thing and to produce different bluring effect(bokeh) the distance and amount of light i have plays a part?

Correct me if i am wrong. :D

Actually Bokeh is the quality of the blur. ;)

I know, I know.. a lot of people anyhow anyhow use the term...

Shooting full body using kit lens, you can still blur the background, but the blur is not that blur lor. But if the background is very far, it will be more blur lor.

So not as blur as half body portrait u mean?

So not as blur as half body portrait u mean?

ya. not as blur as half body portrait.

You might ask why?

It is because to shoot half body with the same lens, you either have to zoom in to the model. Or, if already at maximum zoom, you have to move closer to the model. Either of those actions actions will decrease the DoF (aka make the background more blur).

ya. not as blur as half body portrait.

You might ask why?

It is because to shoot half body with the same lens, you either have to zoom in to the model. Or, if already at maximum zoom, you have to move closer to the model. Either of those actions actions will decrease the DoF (aka make the background more blur).

Alright thanks for the info;)

So if i were to take full Portrait using my kit lens(with max zoom) unless person is far away from background, the bokeh will not be as obvious since there is more DOF?

Last edited:
Alright thanks for the info;)

So if i were to take full Portrait using my kit lens(with max zoom) unless person is far away from background, the bokeh will not be as obvious since there is more DOF?

In a manner of speaking yes.. you are just repeating the same thing I am saying just rephrasing it.. ;)

The closer your subject, the more blur the background.
The further the background, the more blur the background.
The larger the aperture, the more blur the background.
The longer the focal length used, the more blur the background.
The larger the sensor of your camera, the more blur the background.

hmmm, I think I covered all..

In a manner of speaking yes.. you are just repeating the same thing I am saying just rephrasing it.. ;)

The closer your subject, the more blur the background.
The further the background, the more blur the background.
The larger the aperture, the more blur the background.
The longer the focal length used, the more blur the background.
The larger the sensor of your camera, the more blur the background.

hmmm, I think I covered all..

Thanks! great help:D
Will stick to my kit lens for time being.

Is there any recommendation for pentax portrait lens? (i'll be good if it can take a full body portrait)

hmm budget wise not more then 200:)

I have a hunch Anson was referring to BOKEH by Alien skin rather than a misuse of the word

:bsmilie:

and oh yes post processing to make things pop

ryan

Thanks! great help:D
Will stick to my kit lens for time being.

Is there any recommendation for pentax portrait lens? (i'll be good if it can take a full body portrait)

hmm budget wise not more then 200:)

There are many Pentax MF lenses especially the Pentax K and M, 35mmf2.8 that can be bought for less than $200. Try them out, they will be excellent for portraits, but no AF.

There are many Pentax MF lenses especially the Pentax K and M, 35mmf2.8 that can be bought for less than $200. Try them out, they will be excellent for portraits, but no AF.

Is there AF lens? Very new to DSLR and haven learn how to do a manual focus yet, so having a AF lens will be a great help.

Is there AF lens? Very new to DSLR and haven learn how to do a manual focus yet, so having a AF lens will be a great help.

ofcourse there are AF lens.. if not then all pentax lens oso MF meh?

just that you wanted something cheap and large aperture.. so they recommend you MF lens lor..

ofcourse there are AF lens.. if not then all pentax lens oso MF meh?

just that you wanted something cheap and large aperture.. so they recommend you MF lens lor..

icic, around how much does AF portrait lens cost?