Portrait photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallin

Mar 2, 2007
I'm going to need some very ordinary portrait photos for a school event. These people are just going to sit in front of me and I'm going to take a simple headshot of them. Does anybody know what to look out for in these instances? The only equipment I have access to be a Canon 300D with a 18-55mm lense. Also a flash of unknown quality and type.

comb hair
open eyes
reflections off the glasses
sit back, look forward
close mouth
hair not covering forehead

get a tripod if you can, else prop ur camera on something for stability.

ur flash is unknown, would advise to take test shots to check the lighting effect on ur audience. if in well-lit room, u might want to bounce off the light instead of direct flash, or even off the flash.

and... dun waste time and be prepared. ppl dun like to wait for you to prepare them for the shot or adjust ur camera till you are ready. make sure you are ready for them and not the other way round.

smile !

you on camera!
:D

Use the camera and flash on full manual. Get the first one right, the rest will be mass-production. Make sure the face is evenly illuminated with no burnt spots.

If you're shooting vertical, find a way not to have the flash shadow appear on the side. Bounce it off the ceiling, or find an alternative lighting. If you can get a big bright window behind you, a flash may not be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.