Portrait photographers:: Who's a model and who is not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfrond

Nov 22, 2003
Singapore
www.joannakoh.com
with all the new "model" TFP/CD shoots around recently, how are you going to choose your models?
will you(as a portrait photographer) monitor the "quality" of the model(s) in your photograph?
or will you just shoot because it is a "free" shoot, a free chance to get more faces in your portfolio?

what do they do before they are considered "models" to you?
the first job?
graduation from modelling class?
being asked to join a model agency?
TFP?

self- proclaimation?

WHAT makes a model now? WHO will be considered a model to you as a portrait photographer?

open to discussion - comments please

silverfrond said:
with all the new "model" TFP/CD shoots around recently, how are you going to choose your models?
will you(as a portrait photographer) monitor the "quality" of the model(s) in your photograph?
or will you just shoot because it is a "free" shoot, a free chance to get more faces in your portfolio?

what do they do before they are considered "models" to you?
the first job?
graduation from modelling class?
being asked to join a model agency?
TFP?

self- proclaimation?

WHAT makes a model now? WHO will be considered a model to you as a portrait photographer?

open to discussion - comments please

A burning desire to be a model. Does not matter age, size or looks. With the intention of building a portfolio to increase and convince the hirer that he/she is fit to be the cast member, be it a pretty lady, a middle age man or a granny.

Not for just having a nice set of photos. Of cos, this is not a simple matter to decide who is and who is not. Boils down to integrity.

But then again, who is a photographer and who is not? Having a fancy DSLR does not constitute that this person is a photographer.

I guess when a pretty lass ask for favours to complete strangers, the repercussions can be obviously as in the other thread.

Have your free lunch or be the free lunch.....

8 entries found for model.
mod·el Audio pronunciation of "model" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mdl)
n.

1. A small object, usually built to scale, that represents in detail another, often larger object.
1. A preliminary work or construction that serves as a plan from which a final product is to be made: a clay model ready for casting.
2. Such a work or construction used in testing or perfecting a final product: a test model of a solar-powered vehicle.
3. A schematic description of a system, theory, or phenomenon that accounts for its known or inferred properties and may be used for further study of its characteristics: a model of generative grammar; a model of an atom; an economic model.
4. A style or design of an item: My car is last year's model.
5. One serving as an example to be imitated or compared: a model of decorum. See Synonyms at ideal.
6. One that serves as the subject for an artist, especially a person employed to pose for a painter, sculptor, or photographer.
7. A person employed to display merchandise, such as clothing or cosmetics.
8. Zoology. An animal whose appearance is copied by a mimic.

From dictionary.com

Don't take the meanings too seriously.

A photographer is just one who takes photographs. Model is just one that poses.

They mix.

I have been mystified by what is portrait photography. Obviously there are many different sub-genres of portrait photography.

Of course central to portrait photography is a person/persons.

A successful portrait is a dance between the "model" and the "photographer", with the camera as a medium to record that dance. And eventually the dance presented to the viewer.

So I chose my model based on his/her ability to "dance". What is he/she capable of? What can he/she "give" me as a dance partner? Is he/she superficial, going through the motion, or is he/she the dance that I can reciprocate so that we can both give a good interpretation to the viewer? Our story of the dance.

Hi student, I like ur definition of Portrait Photography.

Maybe I'm more new in this area but my idea of potrait photography are just shots of people and or humans. Perhaps it's too amatuerish thinking?

Just a discussion is that must portrait photography always be glamourous and striking? Can it just be a simple snapshot or must it be with wow factors?

Your definition is simple yet striking. I like it.

student said:
I have been mystified by what is portrait photography. Obviously there are many different sub-genres of portrait photography.

Of course central to portrait photography is a person/persons.

A successful portrait is a dance between the "model" and the "photographer", with the camera as a medium to record that dance. And eventually the dance presented to the viewer.

So I chose my model based on his/her ability to "dance". What is he/she capable of? What can he/she "give" me as a dance partner? Is he/she superficial, going through the motion, or is he/she the dance that I can reciprocate so that we can both give a good interpretation to the viewer? Our story of the dance.

bravo! bravo! for your dance analogy. an apt analogy.

Perhaps putting in another way, portrait is simply making a story, your biography of the person. Indeed this is one of the essence of art.

This definition does not talk about how the final image is. It is your story of how you see the person. Your impulse. Of course you can see a beautiful face, and see superficial beauty. Or the person can be deep. A lot to give. This also ask a lot of the photographer - how "deep" are you. How is your ability to see? If the photographer is "shallow", the resultant biography will likely be shallow.

This way of seeing does not take into account the choice of the medium (camera) although the choice of the medium has a lot to do with whether it is suitable to make that biography.

This way of seeing also does not take into account whether the image is sone formally or in a snap fashion. Chose the one suitable for the story.

This way of seeing is all embracing. If the story is about commercial/fashion beauty, then chose the medium. If the story is about a person who is down and out in the streets, a snap is obviously more appropriate.

eh....since my idea of portraiture is pretty much different.... this is my take on who i would consider a model.... from a fashion/makeover sense of view....

a model i would base on experience in posing...tt doesnt necessary mean how good or how photogenic she is on her own...but perhaps more on the ability to execute the pose to wat the photographer envisions....

and perhaps also how naturally she can execute certain emotions.... how easily she warm's up for a shoot..

tt'd be about it for me.... these are all tell tale signs tt can tell apart from a self proclaimed model and one who's really professional..

cheers..

Anyone can be a model...inc myself...?Haha unless someone needs a bogus Veterinian for a shoot, I CAN BE :)
Haha...its more or less the way a photographer shoots, his pictorial compostion and vsual concept. Little underexposed can be viewed as 'artistic' like those MNG ads. Models do not have to be skinny...esp fashion ones. If ur tall and skinny and a runway model modelling for some fashion wear, then forget about buying that store's clothes. Its unfair and misleading to the population that clothes 'XXX' is only ment for model figure. That's dumb coz that shop won't earn. I believe some models are aneroxic and bulimic...why should I shoot someone whom's about to faint before my camera and later call for an ambulance to send her to GH? I'd rather shoot a plump healthy model rather than those frail girls!
Hence, a healthy, radiant toned model is suitable for my shoots!

I'm also unsure about the universal meaning of portraiture, model, or TFPs.. for example, Witness' last photos about the girl in the tub. Is it still considered portrature even if the story is created instead of drawn from the subject, or some of PBS fashion shoot or just a normal Oakley ads of a headshot? Sorry for the OT.

As for the topic, My agenda is more on selfishness. I wanna learn so I join TFP/Paid shoots and gain confidence and skill. If my subject is willing for me to do so, then I believe it should be okay. Any mistakes are best learned by experience, be it photography skill or getting mobbed by photographers.

I thought model is a profession? (read profession what you do for a living)
As one is a air stewardess or accountant.
For those who do it for fun or extra income they should not be consider as one. They should indicate as "talent" if they aspired to be one (model) in future.

Or if they do it part time you don't expec them to tell mother.

"Ah Ma I now model liao..."
"Lian? U fever is it? u still in poly leh.."
"no, got ppl pay me $60 for 3hours work leh, pose here n there.."
"Lian, u says some more I knock you head, you back to your books."

Its just not their profession, while at it they can still be doing something pretty more practical.

If not I just ask my fren -

"oii.. ah seng, tomorrow follow me go SBG, take pic of me.."
"ah? seow ah you beng, for f***?? u tik u veri yantao?"
"no leh, after this I can call myself model.."
"ah..?? u really seow this ah? u beng..!"
"no leh seng, also, preferably you can pay me some money.."

bwilly said:
For those who do it for fun or extra income they should not be consider as one. They should indicate as "talent" if they aspired to be one (model) in future.

If not I just ask my fren -

"oii.. ah seng, tomorrow follow me go SBG, take pic of me.."
"ah? seow ah you beng, for f***?? u tik u veri yantao?"
"no leh, after this I can call myself model.."
"ah..?? u really seow this ah? u beng..!"
"no leh seng, also, preferably you can pay me some money.."

but tomorrow I busy leh.....:bsmilie:

Ah_Seng said:
but tomorrow I busy leh.....:bsmilie:

bo bian seng.. you want to go school boast to fren..

"Lim peh now model hor.. siam.. no need Q to buy drink..." :D

something to consider about this line of reasoning would be whether a photographer can only be called a photographer ONLY if he is a professional.
bwilly said:

vince123123 said:
something to consider about this line of reasoning would be whether a photographer can only be called a photographer ONLY if he is a professional.

hence you got full time n part timer..
same as in model or photographer..
level of expectation of course differ...

"Lim peh part time model only.. where got know how to pose..?
must shave arm pit hair is it..??"

There are also who shoot for the fun of shooting n viewing their own art of work. I don't call myself a photographer though in dictionary I can be one. I call myself a leisure "hooter".. :)

my point exactly

bwilly said:
hence you got full time n part timer..
same as in model or photographer..
level of expectation of course differ...

Status
Not open for further replies.