Portrait & Macro Lenses: [Sigma 70mm] VS. [Pentax 100mm] VS. [Pentax 50mm] (F2.8 all)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndhonghai

Jul 5, 2011
Woodlands
Hi Pentaxians,

I'm a K5 owner and looking for a fix focal portrait lens but I'm also interested in Macro shooting,
so that I researched some Portrait lenses include Marcro feature as below (sort as my own priority):

1. Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro (Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database)
* Pros:
- Good focal length for portrait
- Sharp
* Cons:
- Heavy/bulky
- Not weather shield

2. SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR (SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database)
* Pros:
- WR lens
- Full frame lens so even better on K5
* Cons:
- Focal length is quite long for portrait
- AF

3. SMC Pentax-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro (SMC Pentax-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database)
* Pros:
- Good AF
- Good handling
- FF lens
* Cons:
- Focal length quite shorter for portrait
- Not WR

Above are my opinion, how do you think? Which one you will take for purpose?
If someone has same idea as mine or ever used above lens can give some advise.

Thanks for your reading :),
Ngo Hai

There is one more interested lens is: Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 AF XR Di LD Macro SP (cheaper)
But the IQ/build is not as good as above.

how about tamron 90mm f2.8 macro, quite good price in bns and cheaper than all above,

then vote for Pentax 100mm macro WR if money is no issue.

depends what look you like as each will give a different perspective on the subject.

For portraiture, i usually start at F/4. With your budget, i would recommend a used DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 as it covers the traditional portrait FL and is WR as well.

depends what look you like as each will give a different perspective on the subject.

For portraiture, i usually start at F/4. With your budget, i would recommend a used DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 as it covers the traditional portrait FL and is WR as well.

Thanks for your suggestion. As the thread title, the lens must support portrait and macro (more priority for portrait).

Thanks for your suggestion. As the thread title, the lens must support portrait and macro (more priority for portrait).

tamron 90. the focus limiter really helps when u use it for portraits :)

otherwise, the long focus throw thats typical in macro lens will be quite frustrating.

1:1 magnification is a bonus. its also known to be very sharp... but do bring your camera to test - when i went with my friend to buy it, we found some variations between copies.

Last edited:
Just get the 100/2.8 WR.
Rounded aperture for smoother oof renderings
A bit longer than your other options for more skittish insects.

You need to note that 100mm and 90mm are quite hard to use indoors though.
For that, 50mm is the most easy to use, but I'd wait for the new DA50/1.8 for that.

pinholecam said:
Just get the 100/2.8 WR.
Rounded aperture for smoother oof renderings
A bit longer than your other options for more skittish insects.

You need to note that 100mm and 90mm are quite hard to use indoors though.
For that, 50mm is the most easy to use, but I'd wait for the new DA50/1.8 for that.

I agree with you..

To TS, taking into account factors:

WR: DFA 100mm and then get the 50mm version

FL: If you are shooting with a "purpose" you would have set up your shots and select the appropriate FL already. Therefore any of them don't matter at all.. But for general purpose, or impromptu, the Pentax 50mm macro is the "best" IMO.

Price: Err... For your own to decide which is within your budget range.

Like what Frank said, there isn't really any bad macro lens.. Haha!

I think the best lens to get really depends on your shooting style. the sigma 70mm & the Pentax 100mm probably will give you nicer bokeh due to the longer FL, but as pinholecam has mentioned near impossible to use indoors unless you have a big house. I've had the Pentax 50mm macro for a while & its super sharp & a fairly usable FL indoors. The key concern with using a macro lens to do double duty for portraits is the long focus throw can be a real pain in the ass for AF, especially in dimly lit situations. This could be overcome by using the focus limiter & quick shift feature of the pentax macros, but needs practice to get used to it.

So the question is what is your priority? if its macro then u just have to decide btw the 50 & 100mm pentax lenses. if its portraiture then you might also want to consider the two very nice pentax limiteds - the da70 & fa77 - with the added advantage of being small & light.

DFA 100 is no brainer if you have space heheh. nice bokeh, very good color, and uber uber sharp... :bsmilie:

If only macro WR have focus lock...

DA 55-300 Bokeh is not bad either... It looks like painted in the background.... (edit, DA 55-300 is not macro lol)

Last edited:
Just a thought..

For macro, what will you be shooting?? Different Focal Length Macro lengths also plays a part on what you shoot i felt.

Have you thought of getting the new DA50 /1.8? Think it is more worthwhile for portraits though. And also, look at those Manual Macro lens?
Panagor 55 mm, 90mm , Vivitar etc.. to name a few.

I guess it be worthwhile to consider getting a AF lens for your portrait work and a affordable manual macro lens to compliment ur work for macro shots?

Thanks all you guys contributed and gave me the ideas.
I summary some interesting points:
- Macro lens has main purpose to shoot macro, not really good for portrait since it has long focus, means not fast AF. This can be solved by lens supports focus limiter.
- Long FL lens (>90mm) is hard to use indoor shooting.

So after filter, there are only 2 lens I will consider:
SMC Pentax-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro (680$) --VS.-- Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro (780$)

Or should I wait for DA50 /1.8? Is it macro support?
Anyone's ever used the Sigma 70mm? How is it?

- Macro lens has main purpose to shoot macro, not really good for portrait since it has long focus, means not fast AF. This can be solved by lens supports focus limiter.

SMC Pentax-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro (680$) --VS.-- Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro (780$)

Macro lens is typically slower to focus, not dead slow.
FW has used the 100WR on many occasions for ppl portraits.
It just means that it may be on the slow side of focus if your subject is the type that does not wait for long. (eg. kids; shared model shoot with more than 2 shooters at the same time)

Simon's suggestion is pretty viable too.
New DA50/1.8 for portraits and a cheap MF macro lens for macro

IMHO, if you plan to do your portraits indoors, just think of 50mm and forget even about the 70mm. Unless you have a big house or can find an uninterrupted long space to work in at home (eg. after clearing away some table/chairs and such)

Lens wise, all your options are good/nice. Won't go wrong with any of them.

Last edited:
Simon's suggestion is pretty viable too.
New DA50/1.8 for portraits and a cheap MF macro lens for macro

these days, i wonder if they are still "cheap" macro lenses left on the used market :sweat: prices seems to be climbing on ebay.

i saw a vivitar 55 (optically identical to panagor 55) asking US$200+ once... the M42 version :bigeyes:

i think have to do their homework to decide if its worth the $$$ or not. old manual lenses are fun to use and the well regarded ones are very sharp. but compared to buying a new model with AF for just 100-200 more? hmmm...

Just a question, if you are shooting macro, what is your main subjects like? Insects, still life like flowers, watches etc ... 50 to 100 mm will cover the need for portrait and macro. 100 mm macro will gives more working distance than vivitar 55mm macro.. If you are into sensitive subjects like flies, you may need 100 mm macro to capture.

marcus

Hi,
Here is a sample image taken with DFA100 F2.8 WR@f 2.8 wide open. Need further distance for portrait shots.

#8 Model Portrait shot
RajaKamalul_2.jpg

Regards..

ndhonghai said:

Hmm... To revert on your "conclusions":

1) Macro lens not being good for portrait due to "slow" focusing? Depends on how you look at it.. Very subjective. Some estimate the subject distance and pre-focus before using AF to "complete" it.

2) Long FL not good for indoors? Well, subjective too because it seriously depends on what are you intending to use a macro on. 50mm too short, go closer. 100mm too long, go further.

3) Pentax 50 vs sigma 70? Subjective too.. Go closer or further depending in subject and framing.

My conclusions overall:

I think your problem is not knowing and/or not used to a focal length. Try get any 1 of the 2 and try out first. You don't like the FL, "exchange" for another..

FL wise, that's one of the reason you are looking at a prime. Very good IQ and to zoom with your feet.

Until they make a 30-150mm macro zoom lens with 1:1 magnification and also f/2.8 someday, there is no "perfect" one.

That's part of the learning process. IQ wise, there's never a bad macro lens. :D

Last edited:
Not much choices of Macro lens for Pentax right? I am also thinking of getting one but not sure which, seems not much choice, eventually might get Tamrom 90mm f2.8 macro... but if use for food shots, i have to move back, as the focal length too tele... if only Tamron 60mm f2.0 Macro is built in Pentax mount as well, but don't have...

I face the same 'problem'. The 100 is too long for indoor portraits, and the 50 is a little short for tight head and shoulder shots. I think 70mm would be ideal. But I hate the sticky coating on Sigma lenses, hence I stick :bsmilie: to Pentax lenses.

I searched thru the www. Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG could be the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.