Portrait lighting


Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasD

New Member
Sep 22, 2004
363
0
0
Ang Mo Kio
www.focusonpixel.com
#1
Hi,

I need advice on how to bring out the makeup colours on the model's face when shooting portrait. Currently I have 2 flash units (ETTL2) which can sync remotely and would like to know the best way to place these flashes to create the effect. I have tried to create a soft look by bouncing these flashes but somehow the colour still don't stand out. Does taking raw help?

Thks,
Thomas
 

blurblock

Senior Member
May 30, 2003
3,827
0
0
ytphoto.clubsnap.org
#2
ThomasD said:
Hi,

I need advice on how to bring out the makeup colours on the model's face when shooting portrait. Currently I have 2 flash units (ETTL2) which can sync remotely and would like to know the best way to place these flashes to create the effect. I have tried to create a soft look by bouncing these flashes but somehow the colour still don't stand out. Does taking raw help?

Thks,
Thomas
Flashlight will diffuse the colour, use long exposure :D.
 

ThomasD

New Member
Sep 22, 2004
363
0
0
Ang Mo Kio
www.focusonpixel.com
#4
Thks! I am actually helping my wife in her thesis, she's doing her diploma in makeup. Using natural light create shadows even when using reflector, that why I decided to use flash as can be seen from most magazine. Guess have to ask her to touch up more on faint area... :bsmilie:
 

Bluestrike

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
4,784
0
0
41
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
#5
ok 1st of all pressume you using 2x 580EX. 2ndly, it all direct flashing? 3rdly, what the setup you did?

Maybe start off from there and move on to how to better improve it.
 

catchlights

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
21,903
46
48
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
#6
ThomasD said:
Hi,

I need advice on how to bring out the makeup colours on the model's face when shooting portrait. Currently I have 2 flash units (ETTL2) which can sync remotely and would like to know the best way to place these flashes to create the effect. I have tried to create a soft look by bouncing these flashes but somehow the colour still don't stand out. Does taking raw help?

Thks,
Thomas
Yes, make up for photography is different from what we normally see, but is this lighting looks fine with you?

 

#7
ThomasD said:
Hi,

I need advice on how to bring out the makeup colours on the model's face when shooting portrait. Currently I have 2 flash units (ETTL2) which can sync remotely and would like to know the best way to place these flashes to create the effect. I have tried to create a soft look by bouncing these flashes but somehow the colour still don't stand out. Does taking raw help?

Thks,
Thomas

Hi Bro...


Ortega is spot on when he mentioned that makeup for photo shoot is difference from your normal everyday makeup you see ladies do for themselves or get someone to do for them.

It as to do with the way film capture certain shades or subtle shades of colours...etc

Not only is lighting from your flash important but the makeup plays just as important a role. A photographic makeup artist is specially trained to understand how colours and shades will work whether it be indoor or outdoor shoot for example.

And if you get deeper into it, you will find that it takes even more finess to do makeup for a black and white shoot. LIghting must work hand in hand with someone good at photgraphic makeup too to effect a well balance shot.

Thus you really need to get some input from someone who does makeup for photo shoot to get a better understanding on the use of colours (sometime exaggerated use of colours) and touch up. Because in some instances, what the lighting could not do to solve an image problem, the makeup artist might be your only solution.
 

ThomasD

New Member
Sep 22, 2004
363
0
0
Ang Mo Kio
www.focusonpixel.com
#8
sammy888 said:
Hi Bro...


Ortega is spot on when he mentioned that makeup for photo shoot is difference from your normal everyday makeup you see ladies do for themselves or get someone to do for them.

It as to do with the way film capture certain shades or subtle shades of colours...etc

Not only is lighting from your flash important but the makeup plays just as important a role. A photographic makeup artist is specially trained to understand how colours and shades will work whether it be indoor or outdoor shoot for example.

And if you get deeper into it, you will find that it takes even more finess to do makeup for a black and white shoot. LIghting must work hand in hand with someone good at photgraphic makeup too to effect a well balance shot.

Thus you really need to get some input from someone who does makeup for photo shoot to get a better understanding on the use of colours (sometime exaggerated use of colours) and touch up. Because in some instances, what the lighting could not do to solve an image problem, the makeup artist might be your only solution.
Thanks Sammy,

I understand from my wife that the makeup for photography is different from that of a normal daily makeup and maybe like you said they are just not exaggerated enough when I shot them. I need to take 10 different looks from 10 different types of makeup, that's why to be able to differentiate them is important, else they will all be looking the same if the colour doesn't stand out. I am still working on it with my wife of course, who will be completing her makeup course soon. Thks for all your input, once done I will post some pics for comment :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

#9
ThomasD said:
Thanks Sammy,

I understand from my wife that the makeup for photography is different from that of a normal daily makeup and maybe like you said they are just not exaggerated enough when I shot them. I need to take 10 different looks from 10 different types of makeup, that's why to be able to differentiate them is important, else they will all be looking the same if the colour doesn't stand out. I am still working on it with my wife of course, who will be completing her makeup course soon. Thks for all your input, once done I will post some pics for comment :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Well...happy experimenting :) When I was doing fashion shot (not me, i hired a photographer and makeup artist to do it while I style the shoot) We usually have to do test shots and then let the makeup artist look over the shot to see what needs to be done. The type of lighting used and light temperature also plays a part as to what kind of colour shade would need to be use to get the right effect and at the same time compliment the dress(es) or accessories. Then when we move from indoor to outdoor, we have to again retest and redo the makeup to suit the daylight. Not a perfect science but as you and the makeup artist gets more experienced, it starts to become almost second nature. Having your wife being able to do the makeup for you once she is finish with her course would be a great help. I have yet to know of a good photographer who can do good make up too hahaha....So leave that to your wife but for now help her to get her technique right while you try to figure out the flash thingy too.

Actually what I find great going for you is to have a wife who can in some way share your photographic interest indirectly heh. Even complimenting each other.

Do show us some of your test shots when you are finish with them :)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom