Portrait Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppleC

Dec 19, 2007
Hi,

Does anyone know how to create the softness below? Is it photoshopped or filters added?
6b3f2e6743f7bebb.jpg

Photo by Zemotion

Im looking for canon Portrait Lens.
Any recommendations and place to get 2nd hand lens?

Did some research and am looking at:
Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

Apple C
The art of creating desire from the moment of truth

http://flickr.com/photos/applechua

Get yourself a Prime lens......

Canon

50mm f1.8 = Cheap but poorly built.

50mm f1.4 USM = Higher Price but with better built

50mm F1.2 L USM = Very $$$$.... but the best that you could ask for.

There's also the 85mm Prime lense from Canon.

i think the softness was PPed. perhaps u want to give the 85 f/1.8 a shot. other than the distance u need to have for full length shots, its a very good portrait lens.

i think the softness was PPed. perhaps u want to give the 85 f/1.8 a shot. other than the distance u need to have for full length shots, its a very good portrait lens.

any place to recommend that sells 2nd hand lens?

Get yourself a Prime lens......
what's the difference between prime lens and zoom lens in terms of quality?

if u not sure as to which one to get, i advise u to rent either the 50 or the 85 from the gear rental ppl here. play around for a day. since u shoot mostly indoors, i am not sure you wanna get a 85 cos u may not have enough working space to get a full body shot.

if u have a tight budget, consider the 50mm f/1.8 or the f/1.4 or 35mm f/2 if u gonna have a real tight working place like your bedroom.

I'm no expert at this..... so, just my 2 cents worth. :sweat:

Prime lense for protraits have really 'small' f-stop.... (f1.8, f1.4, f1.2... etc), while zoom lense have a common f-stop of f2.8 at the most..... :eek:

I'm playing around on newly brought 50mm f1.4 this morning...... and using my Bro & Sis children as subjects..... manage to get that 'Blur' background effect we see on most protraits photos. :D

Before I got my 50mm...... I use my EF-S 60mm Macro f2.8 as my protrait lens.... but could not get the effect I so wanted like now.... ;)

You dont really want soft pictures from your lens unless you get those soft focus lens like the canon 135mm f2.8 soft focus. Otherwise, it is PP

is there such a lens as a portrait lens?

Lens suited for portraits

quality per se it's honestly, hard to tell as a whole unless you have the statistics on paper based on tests, even then, quality control in terms of optical performance isn't always the most constant for any brand out there.

the main advantage of a prime lens upfront is the maximum aperture size is almost always superior for a small price, e.g. 50mm f/1.4 is commonplace. i suppose you already know how to work on depth of field and what large maximum apertures equate to.

if you're talking about sharpness though, then it would depend on the lens, you can't really compare an excellent top range zoom to some old prime lens that has not been reviewed favourably for digital imaging.

for the picture, it looks like selective blurring was done with layering and gaussian blur. i couldn't say for sure though, so you might want to drop zemotion mail, she would know best, if she's willing to help out anyways. :)

I highly recommend the 85mm and 50mm series. They make excellent portrait lenses.

I think its by hassy H2 with possibily a HC 2.8/80 lens.
Softness should be post processed. But its hard to say coming from a prodigy.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Very good photographer.

Since you already know who the photographer is, why don't just ask her personally? :dunno:

I highly recommend the 85mm and 50mm series. They make excellent portrait lenses.

Thanks for all advise :D
oh yea.. didnt cross my mind haaa

i will ask zemotion ;)

any place to recommend that sells 2nd hand lens?

2nd hand lens can try CS BnS section.

Prime lenses give very sharp n crisp images even thou they may be non-L version.

Zoom lenses give u the flexibility zoom in or out without having the need to change lenses.

I read an article from the photographer. Most of the time she is using 50mm F1.4 on a 5D.

If your using a 40D or 400D, then you can also try Canon 35mm F1.4L. It will give you almost the same perspective of a Canon 50mm F1.4 on 5D.

Status
Not open for further replies.