Portrait lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumyum

Aug 18, 2005
Singapore
www.yummibear.multiply.com
Just a newbie here, wonder what lens is suitable for portrait ??
for both indoor and outdoor??
anyone care to share their experiences??

+evenstar said:
50mm f1.8/1.4
85mm f1.8
135mm f2L
200mm f2.8
300mm f2.8

wahhhh !!!!!!
I was asking cos I am going to be my fren backup wed.. photographr ... if i would to buy the items u mentioned, My pocket gonna burnt..
D50 + 18-55mm + 70 + 300mm + SB 800... do you think my equipments can come it to the wed ???

Not very helpful, but really any lens can be used. I have personally used a 15mm fisheye before. Really depends on what you want to portray in your photo. Facial details? Full body details? Half body? 3/4? Background? I generally work with my 70-200mm and a 16-35mm to cover the range but any lens will do it.

szekiat said:
Not very helpful, but really any lens can be used. I have personally used a 15mm fisheye before. Really depends on what you want to portray in your photo. Facial details? Full body details? Half body? 3/4? Background? I generally work with my 70-200mm and a 16-35mm to cover the range but any lens will do it.

well, thanks a lot for ur advise, cos this's my first time taking wed. pics for my fren ... hmmm very excited & nervous too... hhehhe

yumyum said:
wahhhh !!!!!!
I was asking cos I am going to be my fren backup wed.. photographr ... if i would to buy the items u mentioned, My pocket gonna burnt..
D50 + 18-55mm + 70 + 300mm + SB 800... do you think my equipments can come it to the wed ???
u gotta bump up ur ISO though..

Not an issue with your equipment. Use your flash unit.

yumyum said:
wahhhh !!!!!!

if you dont want to spend the money, the d50, 18-55 and sb800 should do fine, although for closeups you will have to be pretty close to the subject.

yumyum said:
wahhhh !!!!!!

I find it is good enough, if you style is 99% shoot with flash, maybe 70~300 have little usage unless you have outdoor garden shoot.

many people will temp to go for better equipments, but their skills still unable to unleash the capability of the current gear they own, unless ones like to have all the fancy stuffs or have lots of money, if not, I find ones will enjoy the challenging by producing better pictures with limited gears, rather then produce mediocre pictures with better gears.

17-40mm 4L and 50mm 1.4 :thumbsup:

yumyum said:
would nikon f1.8/50mm good also ? do i need to be pretty close when doing closeup photos?
50mm is good for portrait, follow by the 85mm, I use these 2 lenses for 90% of my shoots...

It actually looks like you want to do event coverage photos rather than outright portratis. its been a while since i used a nikon but the following settings should still work:
ISO400/800, 1/40 F5.6 in M mode with the flash bouncing off a bounce card/omni bounce
3/4 of the time this will allow for a equal balance between useable shutter speed and decent ambient lighting. Tailor it to your needs by adjusting the ISO up or down. Because you're using kit lenses, you might want to try and shoot at F8 if you can get away with it. The key to flash photography is to balance the settings such that ambient light is still shown even if slightly underexposed while the main subject remains correctly exposed. Get that right consistently and i find it is a lot easier to do special effects after that.

szekiat said:
It actually looks like you want to do event coverage photos rather than outright portratis. its been a while since i used a nikon but the following settings should still work:
ISO400/800, 1/40 F5.6 in M mode with the flash bouncing off a bounce card/omni bounce
3/4 of the time this will allow for a equal balance between useable shutter speed and decent ambient lighting. Tailor it to your needs by adjusting the ISO up or down. Because you're using kit lenses, you might want to try and shoot at F8 if you can get away with it. The key to flash photography is to balance the settings such that ambient light is still shown even if slightly underexposed while the main subject remains correctly exposed. Get that right consistently and i find it is a lot easier to do special effects after that.

ISO 800 would give quite a bit of noise on the D50 i think, too high. ISO 400 should be pretty good though.

Astin said:
50mm is good for portrait, follow by the 85mm, I use these 2 lenses for 90% of my shoots...

what lens is normally used for event photography? i know that u r a pro here,
and how to make quick recharge for sb800

yumyum said:
what lens is normally used for event photography? i know that u r a pro here,
and how to make quick recharge for sb800
I seldom shoot events nowadays, unless old friends call up and I cannot "siam", then I will shoot with my 20-35mm lens for the stage and dinner table shots. Regarding the flash recharge, I use SB80DX, not very fast but if u time yr shots at the right time then should be good enough.

Astin said:
I seldom shoot events nowadays, unless old friends call up and I cannot "siam", then I will shoot with my 20-35mm lens for the stage and dinner table shots. Regarding the flash recharge, I use SB80DX, not very fast but if u time yr shots at the right time then should be good enough.

would my kit lens 18-55mm be also suitable for the stage and dinner table shots.???

yumyum said:
would my kit lens 18-55mm be also suitable for the stage and dinner table shots.???

it's suitable for most situations ... but if the table group is too big and not enuff space behind you to step back, then 18mm may not be wide enuff for u

silver.wolf said:
it's suitable for most situations ... but if the table group is too big and not enuff space behind you to step back, then 18mm may not be wide enuff for u

am i right to say that a wide angle lens is more approiate?

Status
Not open for further replies.