Portrait lens for Newbies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youhong

Dec 30, 2004
Well, 50mm, 85mm 105mm, 135mm... You guys hear the debate until sianz liao... But for newbie portrait shooters, using prime lens to shoot abit :sweatsm: you know... One focal length can be troublesome

Most of the time, (maybe say kit lens?) the focal length starts from 18mm or 28mm to 70mm or 75mm... And, you know that shooting at wide angle tends to give distortion... Newbies like me definitely can't handle wide angle portraits... Hence focal lengths below 50mm "wasted"... Of course, newbies tend to like zoom lengths and often tend to use the wide angles...

Was wondering if there's the 50mm-135mm zoom lens... A portrait lens for newbie photographers...

Well, 50mm, 85mm 105mm, 135mm... You guys hear the debate until sianz liao... But for newbie portrait shooters, using prime lens to shoot abit :sweatsm: you know... One focal length can be troublesome

Most of the time, (maybe say kit lens?) the focal length starts from 18mm or 28mm to 70mm or 75mm... And, you know that shooting at wide angle tends to give distortion... Newbies like me definitely can't handle wide angle portraits... Hence focal lengths below 50mm "wasted"... Of course, newbies tend to like zoom lengths and often tend to use the wide angles...

Was wondering if there's the 50mm-135mm lens... A portrait lens for newbie photographers...

Bro..the 28-70 from Nikon is good for the range u want with the crop factor u will be getting around 42-105..and the lens is super sharp with constant aperture f/2.8..

Bro..the 28-70 from Nikon is good for the range u want with the crop factor u will be getting around 42-105..and the lens is super sharp with constant aperture f/2.8..

Most amateurs would be put off by the price of the Nk28-70F2.8. Those from Sigma, Tokina or Tamron could be had for some pretty reasonable price like around 600+ or even cheaper if you go for used gear. They are sharp enough for me and generally good enough for most amateurs.

Most amateurs would be put off by the price of the Nk28-70F2.8. Those from Sigma, Tokina or Tamron could be had for some pretty reasonable price like around 600+ or even cheaper if you go for used gear. They are sharp enough for me and generally good enough for most amateurs.

Agreed!! :thumbsup: 1 of the 3rd party i would recommend is the Tamron 28-75..image quality is sharp!

Yes, with crop factor, the focal length "equivalent" becomes longer... BUT, the characteristics of the lens is still there... Shooting at 28mm (the 42mm equivalent) will still be "wide" and will still be distorted...

Suddenly thought of what happens when you combine wide angle (or even fisheye) with a TC?

Agreed!! :thumbsup: 1 of the 3rd party i would recommend is the Tamron 28-75..image quality is sharp!
I'm using it... but I usually shoot at f4 instead of f2.8... My images looks soft... Is it me or it is my gears? :embrass:

Was wondering if there's the 50mm-135mm zoom lens... A portrait lens for newbie photographers...
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8
Tokina 50-135mm f/2.8 (not out yet)

But 50mm still the good, high quality and cheapest portrait lens.

Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8
Tokina 50-135mm f/2.8 (not out yet)

But 50mm still the good, high quality and cheapest portrait lens.
Didn't encounter the two lens you mentioned above... :think: Gonna check them out...

Aiya, newbies can't handle one focal length well mah... :embrass: Then sometimes need more zoom or more wide troublesome to change lens... Aiming for a "portrait zoom lens" than a prime lens... :bsmilie:

SSS then BBB the Nikkor 28-70...:lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.