"Portrait" Lens and Fish Eye Filter

joulisians

Nov 26, 2010
I have been stalking this forum for quite sometime.

But now I need some answer and recommendations.

I am carrying a Nikon D50 (ancient, i know...). I'm looking for a portrait lens and so far I've been recommended a 50mm f/1.4 which is like really expensive for my budget. The next best was a 50mm f/1.8. Is that right?

And I'm looking for a Fish Eye Filter, any idea where I can find one and how much is one?

I am carrying a Nikon D50 (ancient, i know...). I'm looking for a portrait lens and so far I've been recommended a 50mm f/1.4 which is like really expensive for my budget. The next best was a 50mm f/1.8. Is that right?

And I'm looking for a Fish Eye Filter, any idea where I can find one and how much is one?
first misconception to overcome is the idea of a "portrait lens".

You need to figure out which characteristics you want out of a lens you would commonly use for portraits, then work from there.

But I guess it would be fair to say that most people tend to go for lenses in the 35, 50 or 85 focal range, with as large an aperture as you can reasonably afford.

Use your kit lens (if you've got one) to figure out which focal length is comfortable for you, then look for a fast prime with that focal length.

I don't recall hearing of fisheye filters (my product knowledge isn't all that great).
Fisheye lenses, yes.

I don't recall hearing of fisheye filters (my product knowledge isn't all that great).
Fisheye lenses, yes.
maybe TS meant fisheye converter. iirc theres such things around

maybe TS meant fisheye converter. iirc theres such things around
sounds vaguely familiar. I guess not within my interest area, so never paid much attention to it.
I don't think any converter lens is a good idea though, especially if it'll cost quite a fair bit, and it has pretty much no resale value.

sounds vaguely familiar. I guess not within my interest area, so never paid much attention to it.
I don't think any converter lens is a good idea though, especially if it'll cost quite a fair bit, and it has pretty much no resale value.
im not a fan of converters too..especially if they lower your IQ substantially...i rather save up more and get a proper fisheye lens. its a dslr after all, theres no point to buy all sorts of converters-teleconverters, macro, fisheye and whatnot and put on your kit lens :)

im not a fan of converters too..especially if they lower your IQ substantially...i rather save up more and get a proper fisheye lens. its a dslr after all, theres no point to buy all sorts of converters-teleconverters, macro, fisheye and whatnot and put on your kit lens :)
saw someone buying a Stennzeiser 0.5x wide angle converter lens the other day at Funan... wanted to ask him 'why?', but then it's none of my business, so I let it pass.

Dear TS,

50mm f1.4 is quite expensive. To answer your question, you may consider getting the 50mm f1.8 which is cheaper and can do quite a good job.

As for the fish eye filter r converter, suggest that you avoid them. Save up for a fish eye lens. the cheaper alternatives are available but they are manual like Samyang (google it!)

fisheye convertor??

vita-CON!!! :eek::eek::bigeyes:

saw someone buying a Stennzeiser 0.5x wide angle converter lens the other day at Funan... wanted to ask him 'why?', but then it's none of my business, so I let it pass.

wide angle convertors are useful for prosumer cameras...

But getting Steincheeszer is a bad idea. And 0.5x also bad idea. I had a 0.79x Fujifilm wide angle convertor made for the S7000. That convertor was excellent... but it cost 145 USD.

wide angle convertors are useful for prosumer cameras...

But getting Steincheeszer is a bad idea. And 0.5x also bad idea. I had a 0.79x Fujifilm wide angle convertor made for the S7000. That convertor was excellent... but it cost 145 USD.
but some more it was at a reputable store leh... the one which was very crowded on a weekend, where I was looking at backpacks.

This thread here may help you out in seeing what each short tele focal length can give you.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788852

As for the Fisheye adapter lens, I won't recommend it. Very poor quality images, esp the edges.

Yea...

I think I'm gonna get a 50mm f/1.8

f/1.4 is going at 700++ at Cathay which exceeds my budget by too much...f/1.8 is just enough for usage

Oh yea...any good recommendation for a Macro converter?

Saw someone along orchard road shooting with his 1000D , with a vitacon converter right infront of his 18-55mm.
My friends asked me, why is his filter so huge?? I just laughed and walked off.

Yea...

I think I'm gonna get a 50mm f/1.8

f/1.4 is going at 700++ at Cathay which exceeds my budget by too much...f/1.8 is just enough for usage

Oh yea...any good recommendation for a Macro converter?

Raynox DCR250 will work well with your to-be 50mm f/1.8

The D50 is not old, just beloved :) Its ok I have one too, was thinking about selling it but for $250 or $300 I think I'll just keep it.

I bought the 50mm 1.8, great lens but if I had to do it all over again I think I would go for a 1.4 variation from either Nikon or Sigma, or an 85mm 1.8. Bokeh really makes all the difference for portraits in my opinion.

Compare the 85mm 1.8 with the 50mm and see if that is good enough for what you want (and try it in the shop of course). Ok I just checked the australian prices and the 85mm is quite a bit more expensive than the 50mm 1.8 ($595 vs $130), its around the same price as the 50mm 1.4. If it's up to me I'd go for the 50mm 1.4 because it's faster, so better in low light.

Having said that I just bought an 85mm 1.4 :)

I dunno why as I'm not really a portrait guy but I got a great deal so why not ;-)