Portrait lens 50mm F/1.4 D for Nikon 5100

Shabeerali1982

Jan 22, 2012
Hi I have Nikon 5100 with its kit lens, for taking portraits I planned to buy nikor 50mm f1.4 D lens

But I heared from one of my friend that the the nikor50mm f1.4D lens will not suit the camera model.

If I am using this lense with my camera model 5100 it only works on manual not on a auto focus mode

I wanted to know is it correct if it is so, what is all ur suggestion for a portrait lens for my camera nikon 5100

Last edited:
Hi I have Nikon 5100 with its kit lens, for taking portraits I planned to buy nikor 50mm f1.4 D lens

But I heared from one of my friend that the the nikor50mm f1.4D lens will not suit the camera model.

If I am using this lense with my camera model 5100 it only works on manual not on a auto focus mode

I wanted to know is it correct if it is so, what is all ur suggestion for a portrait lens for my camera nikon 5100

If I am correct, neither the 50mm f1.4D nor the D5100 has a focusing motor, that's why you wont be able to auto focus.

Get a AFS 50mm f1.8G, a good lens for its price and will auto focus on the D5100.

Thank you for the reply, do u have any idea about the cost of the lens it means the price.

Do u belive I can get the lens on a second hand as I am still a beginner

Thank you for the reply, do u have any idea about the cost of the lens it means the price.

Do u belive I can get the lens on a second hand as I am still a beginner

Yep, u can get it in the Buy and Sell section. I think pricing range between 200-250SGD.

I believe your question is best answered by the Nikon users.
Thread moved.

D5100 can only do auto focus with AF-S lens, for AF-D lenses, only manual focus available.

You can shoot portrait with your kit lens, and 50mm lens is classified as Normal Standard lens, of course you can use that to shoot portrait,

FYI, there are two lenses Nikon classified as portrait lens, the 105 DC lens and 135 DC lens.

I would recommend you to start shoot portrait with your kit lens, you can create beautiful portrait with kit lens.

don't fall into the misconception of out of focus background / narrow depth of field / bokehlicious is good portrait,

a definition of good portrait is more than that, don't focus at the wrong area.

and do not post same message across a few forums.

threads merged.

50mm f1.8 AFS is a good place to start. $200-250 used. 85mm f1.8 afs is another. About $600 new, $450-$500 used. Experiment with larger aperture like f1.8-2.8 to get shallow depth-of-field. 55-200 or 55-300 are cheap and allows for playing with compression of perspective. Another possibility.
105DC 135DC are nice but around $1k used.

For D5100, go for the 50mm f/1.8G than the 50mm f/1.8D.

The "G" lens is better overall and doesn't cost that much in difference from a 50mm f/1.8D

However, do take note that the D5100 is an APS-C lens and the Field of View is 1.5 times, as such the FoV will be equivalent to a 75mm lens than a 50mm. Narrower overall.

To achieve 50mm FoV for APS-C cameras, use the 35mm f/1.8G DX