portrait for a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

excentrique

Apr 7, 2002
east
skyetan.multiply.com
This is a portrait I did for one of my friend. At a carpark.
portrait01.jpg

I cut her head off slightly because I do not want the HDB flat to spoilt the picture. Some of my friend wondered where I took this picture and were very surprise when I told them it's done at the carpark near my place. I'm not very bothered with the cropping though. Thought that was the best I could do at least. I think this picture was taken very naturally. I was focus on the overall composition, and her expression. The trick was to talk alot of rubbish to make her mind wanders.. Caught the picture when she start burst out in laughter hearing what I said.

Give me this Lee hwa Jeweries feel (Hey I suspect many of the Lee hwa are by the same photographer... distinctive style). Just replace your copy right words with something more interesting and you got an advert pic... Now the space on the left not very nice... if she could have turn her head to look at the left of the pic, the space will be more justified. Generally try to put more space at the direction she's looking...

nice...unusual...something like from a magazine.

Hi Excentrique,

I wonder how you achieved this "magazine" effect.
Care enough to share the camera setting, lighting (flash or not), filter attached and film?

Thank you

Christoph

Very nice shot~! :thumbsup:

Imagine croping away 1/4 on the bottom and add in some text in replace of the copyright thing, the pic will look like itz extracted an CD album cover page!!!

:rbounce: Grr8 shot!

I'm using Kodak VC400 film . The film seems to be on a whole kind of flat on the skin tone which is quite flattering for complexion. I just using natural outdoor light with this. Kind of late afternoon sun. Could not remember the exposure setting but it's quite a normal setting. Nothing complicated.

Hi,

I have a question (sorry if not related). I shot a roll of Provia 100 for portraiture, with Nikkor 28-80, 3.3-5.6 G. Besides the good color, I found that the detail is extremely high that all blemishes, scars and acnes are easily noticed.

How to avoid this kind of problem? Some suggest using soft filter, which I think give those oldies 70's portraits (which I don't like that much). Any suggestion from the fellow forumners?

Christoph

Originally posted by bordeaux78
Hi,

I have a question (sorry if not related). I shot a roll of Provia 100 for portraiture, with Nikkor 28-80, 3.3-5.6 G. Besides the good color, I found that the detail is extremely high that all blemishes, scars and acnes are easily noticed.

How to avoid this kind of problem? Some suggest using soft filter, which I think give those oldies 70's portraits (which I don't like that much). Any suggestion from the fellow forumners?

Christoph

Not everyone have good complexion.. Same goes to this friend of mine. If you are taking portrait, make sure to do at least some form of makeup, conceal of imperfection. Apart from that, do not use harsh light. Diffuse light normally will do the trick. Some people tend to have oily skin. Make sure you dap dry the face before shooting. By over exposing your film by slightly half a stop or more may help the situation. (that for you to experiment). I don't use filters in my work. Because I dislike the artificial look. Apart from all these solutions, you need to study your subject. Find an angle which is more flattering for your model. Some people looks better at side profile.

Thanks Excentrique :),

Does film affect the overall feeling? I meant using negative or slide thing. :(

:thumbsup:

Very unique and intersting. By the way, where is this place? Looks very old.

Hi,

Christoph

If you don't like soft filters... well, you can try post-processing techniques, either with photoshop... or an airbrush....

:thumbsup: nice! :thumbsup:
like the cutting of the head... unless it's meant as a traditional portriat... then maybe cannot cut head, left space must crop off... etc. think the tilt, crop and off centered look makes this a nice mordern portrait. what you think? :)

Thanks Excentrique :),

Does film affect the overall feeling? I meant using negative or slide thing. :(

Depends.. certain film have certain quality. On a whole, it does not really matter much. Alot have to go down to the styling,and makeup. Film have different qualities. Fuji are more contrasy in nature. Which can be quite good on skin as it reduces details. Maybe that's why many people uses fuji in cover looks studio shoot. Kodak on the other hand tends to be be natural in skin tone. But you never really knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.