Portfolio

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkingx

Mar 19, 2006
East area ; Bedok
www.flickr.com
Hi guys,

I'm sure many of you have portfolios that showcases your works to clients or friends who wanna hire your services. I don't have one myself, but would like to start one. Any previews or advice in building a portfolio and how to go about in building one? In what medium?

Thanks in advance!

Well, to start, if you feel you need to showcase 25 images, then make sure you have at least 100-200 excellent images to pick from. The medium is easy. You can build a website, subscribe to a hosting site, print them, put them on ly laptop, the options are all there and easy to do. The hard part is to have the material to show case.

Deadpoet is right.
I've learnt that anything more than 25 isn't really neccessary.

The really difficult part is choosing the photos from your pool.

Good luck!

cause the reviewer will suffer from "photo-fatigue" if he/she views more than 20 photos at one go.

so 20 pictures will be a safe bet. print it about S8R sizes and stick it onto those 13" x 13" albums, so portrait or landscape orientation no need to worry.

you can employ help from your friends and ask them for their opinions from maybe a pool of 40 pictures of so that you have selected? then from there slowly reduce the number to 20, justifying why this should stay and why that should be chucked away.

be the strictest judge yourself. naming of your pictures may help also when you are left with 20 pictures. naming will let the reviewer sort of interpret the photo in the meaning that you WANT THEM TO INTERPRET.

i just submitted my own copy of portfolio for admission to NTU ADM's course, thought these pointers may be helpful to you!

Thanks alot for the tips bros.. Then should i include subcategories like portraits/nature/macro etc. or just concentrate on one?

If you can, tailor your portfolio for different jobs. For example, I've met an interviewer who wanted nothing except flower pics. Anything else she's not interested. Or say, if you're applying to event company, odds are they won't be interested in your macro insect pics (assuming you have any).

Also, choose a nice portfolio with luxurious feeling sleeves.
the packaging counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.