Portfolio

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcCcYBoi

Feb 20, 2005
Singapore
Hi guys... want to start building up my portfolio now... any idea how to start??? i've got some pics to add to my portfolio... wanna ask if it is better to print 4R or 8R for portfolio?? and... where to store the photos after that?? in an album?? coffee table book?? can someone enlighten me?? lolx... thanx in advance...

Alright...first...pick a theme (Yes...a theme) for your portfolio. And of course base on a common field (portraits, lanscapes whatever). Then you choose your photos.

Most people print their portfolio in 8R. I choose to put them online. hehehe

As what medium to choose. It's totally up to you as you are the one gonna present it. Which ever way that you feel comfortable with will be fine. Probably an album will do a good job.

tunster said:
Alright...first...pick a theme (Yes...a theme) for your portfolio. And of course base on a common field (portraits, lanscapes whatever). Then you choose your photos.

Most people print their portfolio in 8R. I choose to put them online. hehehe

As what medium to choose. It's totally up to you as you are the one gonna present it. Which ever way that you feel comfortable with will be fine. Probably an album will do a good job.

thanx alot... i will be putting up an online 1 and a hardcopy 1... lolx.... dun ask mi y... maybe i kiasu ba... haha... thanx anyway... ;) is there any place that sells nice albums??

hi guys... just wanna ask... what are the themes that u all use in ur portfolio?? and usually how many photos u put in each theme?? dun haf an idea how to classify all of them... need help from u guys... thanx...

hw many photos in each theme has no limits...

IcCcYBoi said:
hi guys... just wanna ask... what are the themes that u all use in ur portfolio?? and usually how many photos u put in each theme?? dun haf an idea how to classify all of them... need help from u guys... thanx...

Don't put too many repetitive photos and sometimes less is best. It will only take one bad photo to ruin a good series. At least in my opinion, people tends to remember the odd one out. :sweat:

oicx... im thinking of putting 2 in each theme... is that sufficient?? or at least 5 pics?? and... wat are the themes that i should use?? i dunno how to classify my photos... :sweat:

IcCcYBoi said:
oicx... im thinking of putting 2 in each theme... is that sufficient?? or at least 5 pics?? and... wat are the themes that i should use?? i dunno how to classify my photos... :sweat:

What do you want to use your portfolio for? that is one question you need to ask yourself.

If you want it to win a job, your portfolio will be different from portfolio that you just want to put on coffee table.

Once you work out why? then you need to work out the theme...

What do you shoot the most... what kind of photography that you really like and really good at it... Just show your best and don't repeat the pictures unless there is a reason for it.

If I were you... I will go as big as I can in terms of the size, bigger pictures have more impact.

Just my opinion.

Hart

Agetan said:
What do you want to use your portfolio for? that is one question you need to ask yourself.

If you want it to win a job, your portfolio will be different from portfolio that you just want to put on coffee table.

Once you work out why? then you need to work out the theme...

What do you shoot the most... what kind of photography that you really like and really good at it... Just show your best and don't repeat the pictures unless there is a reason for it.

If I were you... I will go as big as I can in terms of the size, bigger pictures have more impact.

Just my opinion.

Hart

hi... thanx for your advice... i will need the portfolio to win jobs... currently still building up my portfolio... mmm... i take mostly landscape shots and i've printed out some 8R photos... but i also occasionally take some event shots and macro shots... so... how do i name my themes or how to sort my pics???

4R or 8R? U can make both.
Carry the 4R small album anywhere u go, in case someone just pump in and ask to see quickly.
Then have a 8R nice presentable album when u are heading for a interview or job discussion.

Dont put too many photos in your album, I think max 20 is good enough, some interviewers may get tired after seeing the first 10 photos.

Astin said:
4R or 8R? U can make both.
Carry the 4R small album anywhere u go, in case someone just pump in and ask to see quickly.
Then have a 8R nice presentable album when u are heading for a interview or job discussion.

Dont put too many photos in your album, I think max 20 is good enough, some interviewers may get tired after seeing the first 10 photos.

thanx astin... 20 for the whole portfolio??? mmm... how many types of themes are there?? just want to get a rough idea so that i can build my portfolio better...

IcCcYBoi said:
thanx astin... 20 for the whole portfolio??? mmm... how many types of themes are there?? just want to get a rough idea so that i can build my portfolio better...
U need to know what is yr target client, then u tailor made yr theme to his/her needs. Eg there is no point showing a "insect" photo to a client who wants to see "portrait".

Astin said:
U need to know what is yr target client, then u tailor made yr theme to his/her needs. Eg there is no point showing a "insect" photo to a client who wants to see "portrait".

oicx... mmm... so can i like put all the themes into one album?? or is it better to seperate all the themes into different albums??:dunno:

IcCcYBoi said:
oicx... mmm... so can i like put all the themes into one album?? or is it better to seperate all the themes into different albums??:dunno:
Say, if u are the client, u want to get a photographer to shoot yr wedding, then this photographer come and show u his best "insect" photos, and his best "firework" photos, would u hire him for the job?
I always think seperate is better, just like the radio stations nowadays...

Astin said:
Say, if u are the client, u want to get a photographer to shoot yr wedding, then this photographer come and show u his best "insect" photos, and his best "firework" photos, would u hire him for the job?
I always think seperate is better, just like the radio stations nowadays...

haha... okie~! thanx astin... i think i know what u mean already.... so i guess i haf to get a few more albums if im going into other themes of photography... thanx! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.