Portfolio Website ~ ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Br3ndan

Jul 22, 2008
Hi everyone!

After some weeks of struggling with Html and Flash, I'd finally gotten my site up.

Oh, first off a little bit about myself. I had been reading this forum for a few years but I don't often post.

I started getting serious about photography after picking up my dad's old Minolta and firing off a few rolls - and like a pack of polaroids I was instantly hooked. I joined a makeover studio a couple of years ago and have been shooting there since then.

Please do have a look at my work and tell me your thoughts! I'd appreciate any form of critique and advice:

http://www.brendanzhang.com

Much thanks ~
Brendan

Nicely done. :thumbsup:

Although the loading for fashion page takes way too long, and there's something wrong with the sizing.

Nicely done. :thumbsup:

Although the loading for fashion page takes way too long, and there's something wrong with the sizing.

Agreed with you.

Ahh, thanks for the tip. I think I tried to cram too many images into a single gallery.. will try tweaking the physical size of the images!

Singapore's got talent!

i like the site's simple design but to go and call this talent is a disservice to ts because no one wants anyone to get a bloated head. The shots are simple but nothing stands out. Just your run of the mill mix of head shots and urban shots. what you have is an ok start but keep shooting and updating. but most importantly; BE DIFFERENT so you can sell yourself more. Keep in mind ts this ain't a put down it's advice. If i was looking to put you down i could have used much harsher language.

Ah, I appreciate the frank advice. I feel that I have acquired an okay amount of technical knowledge but have yet to develope a signature look for the images to stand out - that all important spark. Something is still lacking.

Shall work harder and keep on trying!

well it takes time and a stroke of luck to developed or find one's own signature look or style
Judging for your photos i pretty sure u are on the right track ( at the very least in a better situation as compare to me),so Jia You

Ah, I appreciate the frank advice. I feel that I have acquired an okay amount of technical knowledge but have yet to develope a signature look for the images to stand out - that all important spark. Something is still lacking.

Shall work harder and keep on trying!

well as another established shooter told me dun be afraid to copy others ideas but add your own twist to them so they're given your own treatment.

bro, daniel here!! haha... love your shots, they are very professionaly done!:) like what the rest said...its a really good start... one i should take soon taa ah... hahaha lol

Professional enuff and of a very good standard for quite a lot of shots. Definitely better than a lot seen here. Just my frank comments and not to insult anyone here.

Wow I really fancy that picture of the girl, apples in a blackboard cube/room thing!

oo, you've got a pic with a guy in at a sink smeared with blood and is-that-camo-cream-black? lol thats interesting. a super-emo photographer. seems like you've quite a few pic that use glam processing simlar to urban acid in terms of highlight blow out, is that true?

I like some of your outdoor pics, e.g. the model which is backlit against the lalang, the one fullaton tunnel...

Keep shooting and experimenting!

After some weeks of struggling with Html and Flash, I'd finally gotten my site up.

Oh, first off a little bit about myself. I had been reading this forum for a few years but I don't often post.

A few points:

1. Flash didn't do much for your site. It would have been better to keep it simple and skip the Flash. Rule of thumb is simplify simplify simplify.

2. Load time is way too long.

3. The double arrows navigation is bad. 1 arrow will suffice.

4. The browser scroll bars appear on your site, but when we scroll down or right there is nothing there.

The Zohan.

Wow.. I'm a bit shocked by the positive reactions. Thanks for the kind words!

Glenncain: The shot was actually a self portrait. I was trying to emulate the look of Fight Club, which used a lot of flourescent lighting and I now realized, pulled film. I did a previous test shot on a single frame of Provia, which looked quite close to the color in the movie but unfortunately was out of stock when I decided to do a more thorough experiment. Also I was trying to look like I had just gotten out of a fight but it looked more I just killed someone. Haha.

I didn't know there was a name for this look until you mentioned it. It came about when I was trying to recreate the look of cross processed film on photoshop. Some of the processing were also influenced by Mark Borthwick, a British experimental fashion photographer; great stuff.

P/S: And oh thanks for the input, Zohan.

Hi,

The standard of photos are better than mine.

So, I will talk about the web design.

• Intro flash: the interval between images is too short.
    Suggest that you try something like soundslides or picasa.
    Prefer manual navigation to appreciate the images longer.
  • Horizontal scrolling is not recommended, not the "in" thing anymore.
    People like to roll their mouse wheels. This will annoy notebook users.
  • The main page layout is not consistent with the other sections.
  • At the section level, there is no clear link to return to home page or
    other sections.
  • When a section is not ready, please do not put it up.
  • First page has no impact, visitors has only 3 seconds to think if
    the site is worth to visit. It has no information of what the site is about.
  • There is no constant banner/info in each section to remind who are you.
    What if someone jumps to your section and not your first page.

The above are the general points about the design of website.

Of course, there are many small things but it is OK as you just started
in HTML and Flash. As someone said earlier, keep it simple and fast.

Frustrated visitors usually do not like to revisit sites that take too long to
load and are hard to navigate. Go and visit other similar sites and learn
how they do it.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jason

Well to start off, what an absolute talent ya got as a photographer. Most of the shots just left me in love. Just awesome!

But to not further delude you, the website does not do any justice to your talent. Seriously, the flash is not effective, layout disorganized, half of the time i don't know if the pages are gonna load.You really need to seek help on the designing aspect because its a waste to not showcase your amazing works in an amazing medium. You should survey other photography potfolios and learn and see if there's ways to simplify things.

Organization and accessibility is key bro ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.