Portfolio help

Repty

Aug 10, 2009
Hey all, I searched through the forums for help about portfolio, but so far the previous threads don't answer my questions.

I am going for interview to a poly and need a portfolio. I have already bought a file for it and will be printing the photos at A4. Should be having 20 photos inside. However, I'm not sure what kind of photos to put in. I know should put your best photos, but is there a need to have a theme? Because this isn't a job interview, so there is no specific type to put in like "portraits" or anything.

Also, I have very confused as to how I should arrange my photos in the file. If one page landscape photo, then next is portrait, will it be annoying for the people viewing the file to keep turning their heads?

Thanks in advance :D

An interview for what? A job with the poly or a vacancy in one of the courses? Have you asked yourself what are you trying to show in the interview? In essence, your portfolio should be relevant to the interview but at the same time, show your interests and capabilities. You need to have a clearer idea of what you are going to present so that you can select the most appropriate photos for the portfolio. Mind you, the most appropriate photos might not be what you think are your best shots. Your question is too vague to be answered with more details.

eh..juz my 2 cents...

i would put in a variety of photos...ranging from the usuals...potraits, cityscapes/urban/rural, still life, macro and end with a few abstracts and artistic shots...
coz at least you'll be able to showcase ur basics in the various situations. i think 20 photos will be able to show the above.

as for portrait and landscape...i normally put the landscape photos in pairs...so u only need to turn the portfolio once to see two landscapes, like wise for potrait...
i find it untidy when there's a portrait beside a landscape...

@Kit, it's a vacancy for one of the courses. Hmm, i'm just wondering if need to follow a theme like nature or can just put a mixture of best. And don't worry, i've been asking around for people to look at my photos and pick the few they think is best, then I compile those that most people like.

@ahwing, thanks for the help ;D I am still unsure about the arrangement, because some people advise to put one side landscape and one side portrait.

@Rashkae, I've already looked through those, but i don't think any of them got mention how to arrange the photos in the file. Like should it be arranged according to colour theme, type of photography or orientation? :/

@Kit, it's a vacancy for one of the courses. Hmm, i'm just wondering if need to follow a theme like nature or can just put a mixture of best. And don't worry, i've been asking around for people to look at my photos and pick the few they think is best, then I compile those that most people like.

@ahwing, thanks for the help ;D I am still unsure about the arrangement, because some people advise to put one side landscape and one side portrait.

@Rashkae, I've already looked through those, but i don't think any of them got mention how to arrange the photos in the file. Like should it be arranged according to colour theme, type of photography or orientation? :/

That's the last thing you want to do with your portfolio. You'll most probably end up with an incoherent set of photos which you will struggle to present because the photos were chosen by people with different interests and background. You need to understand your work better and decide on your own. A portfolio is never about popularity votes.

Thanks for your advice :) So in a sense, it's just doing what i think is good, while (half) listening to the advice of people? (As you've brought up, different people see things differently)

Thanks for your advice :) So in a sense, it's just doing what i think is good, while (half) listening to the advice of people? (As you've brought up, different people see things differently)

You also need to mention what course is it? You need to show pictures that are relevant to what you are applying for, like what Kit said.