Portable Storage Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnbrown

Aug 26, 2008
I am off to China for an extended vaction and rather than hump my laptop around with me + D300 and assorted lenses and tripod, I was thinking of purchasing some kind of portable media storage device similar to the Nikon Coolwalker but not; as that is too expensive to warrant buying because after this trip it would not be used much.

So if any of you guys know of a good reasonably priced alternative and where to buy I would be grateful for the advice.

Cheers

How much space would you need? If you shoot only JPEG, an 8GB can store about 700+ finest JPEG photos. Get 2 8GB should be enough for a not too long trip. You can delete blurred pictures or whatever at night when you're resting or what.

But if you still want a portable backup harddisk, Sim Lim has got quite a number of choices. Eastgear also has something like that, but I'm not too sure about the price. It's been years since I looked at portable storage that does standalone backups. =)

NEXTODI 2700 from Eastgear, 60GB per charges...strong & long battery life,

I'm using Ovation 120GB external HDD (direct file transfer from my CF card to the HDD). Serve me well so far.

I'm using Ovation 120GB external HDD (direct file transfer from my CF card to the HDD). Serve me well so far.

I'm using the Ovation 250GB photobank, and it died on me during my trip to NZ recently! So disappointing. Hope it can still be repaired.

among all the gizmos i still think CF cards are the most reliable. the compact hardisk aren't meant for much movements and travelling might be bad for it... and with CF cards its easy to organise(1 card a day, or site)

It is always recommended to have extra CF and portable storage device.

Bring a few memory cards along. I also get a new harddisk before everytrip into my Nexto OTG.

Ryan

now me use netbook as lighter compare to laptop.....at night still can browse the net and see picture :)

It is always recommended to have extra CF and portable storage device.

I agree that nothing beats having enuff CF cards but it can be costly especially if the trip is 2-3 weeks.

I will gamble on the external HDD and keep my fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.