Portable Storage ? anyone still using them ?

glennyong

May 2, 2004
Singapore
Back on those days where CF card is only 2gb-4gb. we would carry many of these cards or if not lug one of these portable storage devices from Nexto or some other brands.

how many of you guys are still using it ?

thinking of getting one myself actually. ha ! :bsmilie:

Hello glennyong.
Try looking at Colorspace Hyperdrive UDMA from Memory World at either Funan or SLS.
The latest model is really pretty good. 500Gb storage. Can backup your CF or SD cards on the go and can do recovery of corrupted cards.
My humble suggestion.

I rather get a whole wallet of CF/SD cards than to dump my files into a portable mechanical drive.

storage cards are so cheap nowadays...

well with the MP of cameras nowadays and when u shoot raw, how many CF card can u bring? To me it's easier to lose a small CF card then to lose a bigger portable storage. If you on a super long holidays, cant imagine how many CF card u would need. I'm personally using a Colorspace. Bring a spare external HDD and u have another backup cuz **** happens.

not as useful with 16gb card going easily under $50.
Only purpose would be the ability to do multiple backup, but then, netbook is so much better unless weight is of the utmost important

yeah.. i lug around 3-4 pieces of CF card. and i do lug my laptop around sometimes which i feel is unnecessary.

i used to have a "compactdrive" which uses 4x AA batteries. but they somehow died on me. so actually was thinking of a solution of replacing the idea of doing backup on laptop.

therefore the question on portable storage. hahaha. =D

Hello glennyong.
Try looking at Colorspace Hyperdrive UDMA from Memory World at either Funan or SLS.
The latest model is really pretty good. 500Gb storage. Can backup your CF or SD cards on the go and can do recovery of corrupted cards.
My humble suggestion.

hi there limwhow,

memory world website didnt feature this product. maybe i should go down and take a look ! =Dd

i find the good portable drive are way too ex... some costing around $200 alone. now where is my dual-slot camera?

I got myself a netbook for storage during oversea trips. Can surf net whenever possible n it's quite light also. Watch movies during flight also not bad. Heh heh!

Back on those days where CF card is only 2gb-4gb. we would carry many of these cards or if not lug one of these portable storage devices from Nexto or some other brands.

how many of you guys are still using it ?

thinking of getting one myself actually. ha ! :bsmilie:

I can give you my old Vosonic, I don't know what to do with it. Can't remember if I've thrown it away though. It's only 20GB though, I used it more to watch movies, but now I have an iPad. :p

Btw, I still use 4 GB card for long holidays, never ever finish it shooting in RAW. :) I'm not sure how people actually manage to take so much during holidays...

Last edited:
hello guys, i am actually looking to buy one that's under $100? is it possible?

i am going away for one month and i dont want to bring a laptop + gazillions CF cards! any ideas how i can store my photos?

and does anyone know how much does Colorspace Hyperdrive costs?

i am at my wits end.. :confused:

i am going away for one month and i dont want to bring a laptop + gazillions CF cards! any ideas how i can store my photos?

Not possible la...

eloera said:

Laptop maybe big, how about a netbook?

eloera said:

$100?! Can. Some who is selling his old one to fund a new one might be persuaded to sell at $100 to u... Seriously, where to find such gadget at $100?!?

If I am not wrong, based on the latest promo on the new hyperdrive iPad drive, where it's $420 with 320GB drive in it... I would say saved up at least 300 to get the (new) shell!

$100? not for th hyperdrive. but I seen and bought basic portable storage casing at around $35. no fanciful screen or high write speed, but it serve it purpose well enough as backup and ext HDD

$100? not for th hyperdrive. but I seen and bought basic portable storage casing at around $35. no fanciful screen or high write speed, but it serve it purpose well enough as backup and ext HDD

Could you please provide more background as to how to configure a portable storage casing to download photos (from the camera?)? This looks like a very cost effective solution that will benefit many people. Thank you.

Could you please provide more background as to how to configure a portable storage casing to download photos (from the camera?)? This looks like a very cost effective solution that will benefit many people. Thank you.

nothing to configure. the it is no difference from any other backup solution such as the hyperdrive. the only thing that drive the cost up of those such as hyperdrive and nexto are their brand/features and speed.

but again, i still standby my previous statement, just buy more cards or get a netbook is a better choice

nothing to configure. the it is no difference from any other backup solution such as the hyperdrive. the only thing that drive the cost up of those such as hyperdrive and nexto are their brand/features and speed.

but again, i still standby my previous statement, just buy more cards or get a netbook is a better choice

A "dumb" basic portable storage drive does not read your memory card. Your camera cannot act as USB host to control the drive. Therefore, without a computer in between, you cannot backup your photo from camera/memory card into a basic portable drive. You need an intelligent portable drive with a built-in card reader and built-in battery to power the drive. That's why they are more expensive.

A "dumb" basic portable storage drive does not read your memory card. Your camera cannot act as USB host to control the drive. Therefore, without a computer in between, you cannot backup your photo from camera/memory card into a basic portable drive. You need an intelligent portable drive with a built-in card reader and built-in battery to power the drive. That's why they are more expensive.

i know.. duh... what i mean is that it is all those fanciful feature that jack up the price. I nv say a normal dumb portable storage can do backup on the go. and yes, my $35 case (excluding hdd) can do backup without comps, there is a supplied 4xAA battery case + normal USB port to connect cables to cams or USB card reader. if u get the picture.