Portable Softbox

ziploc

Jan 17, 2002
Snoopyland
Thinking of getting a portable softbox for outdoor portraits, similar to the Lumiquest Softbox series. Any comment on the effectiveness, and where to get one locally? Does not need to be Lumiquest brand. Thanks. :)

Thinking of getting a portable softbox for outdoor portraits, similar to the Lumiquest Softbox series. Any comment on the effectiveness, and where to get one locally? Does not need to be Lumiquest brand. Thanks. :)

I have the Lumiquest SBIII, the light source quite hard unless you are really close up to the subject.. cathay should stock them.

Hmm... if it is quite harsh isn't it defeat the purpose? Might as well use an omnibounce?

eh, what size are you looking at?
Artworkfoto/sgcamerastore/Reddotphoto should have a range wide enough for most I think.

The Micnova softbox can get as cheap as $15 tho, but have to paste the Velcro stickers around your flash unit.

Hmm... if it is quite harsh isn't it defeat the purpose? Might as well use an omnibounce?

it has seen very little action for a very long time..

eh, what size are you looking at?
Artworkfoto/sgcamerastore/Reddotphoto should have a range wide enough for most I think.

The Micnova softbox can get as cheap as $15 tho, but have to paste the Velcro stickers around your flash unit.

The Micnova looks good, probably will consider the larger size one, otherwise would end up like what bro eleveninth mentioned - either need to get very close or it would end up harsh.

Aurora Firefly? It's like a beauty dish softbox, it's study and light, but requires a lighstand.
SG camera store has it. http://www.sgcamerastore.com/Studio-Equipments/Aurora-FireFly-Beauty-Box/prod_850.html

As for softbox like Lumiquest, i know there's a brand call Gamilight, which have similar design.
Artworkfoto has it. http://www.artworkfoto.com/gami_light_modifiers.html

Haha not planning to lug around a light stand in the outdoor. The main intended use is for night portraitures, as day time the shadows can be filled using reflectors. E.g. if I go down to Orchard with some friends to take some photos, would not like to lug a big softbox and light stand and spend time setting it up at each location. That would attract lots of curious on-lookers as well! :D

Haha not planning to lug around a light stand in the outdoor. The main intended use is for night portraitures, as day time the shadows can be filled using reflectors. E.g. if I go down to Orchard with some friends to take some photos, would not like to lug a big softbox and light stand and spend time setting it up at each location. That would attract lots of curious on-lookers as well! :D

lol. actually, that's quite common nowadays..

i see people bringing lightstand with umbrella/softbox setup.. then shoot group photo..

If you have people to help you hold things up, a flash pointed at a reflector works wonders.

The helper can also help you carry the firefly or softbox off camera.

If you are solo, I recommend you go for flash on a tripod or on a platform/table. For modifiers, you can use bounce cards, or smaller modifiers like the Phottix Hydra set. Some sample pics of hydra here.

Another option is to use a large bendable reflector from Rogue.

[vid]um5zUbJBDhI[/vid]

Last edited:
Hmm... after some thinking, maybe getting a light stand and a light softbox/umbrella is not such a bad idea afterall, as it would allow off camera flashes. Bouncing off a reflector is quite a good idea as well except sometimes there might not be a third person.

Hmm... after some thinking, maybe getting a light stand and a light softbox/umbrella is not such a bad idea afterall, as it would allow off camera flashes. Bouncing off a reflector is quite a good idea as well except sometimes there might not be a third person.

think can order online lah. payment via paypal anyway. :)

but seriously... unless you got people helping you to set up, it is a pain to set up softbox/umbrella out in the field alone. regardless of how portable or light it may be, you still need to spend some time fiddling with the setup before every shot. the on-flash softbox is a decent enuf solution, if you can get the light close enuf to the subject. i ran thru dunno how many variations of umbrellas and softboxes, and have yet to find one that allows me the minimal fuss in setting up. now i just bounce the SB900 off some wall to make do, if i have to use flash.

and no... i am not getting the flash wings... way too dorky....:bsmilie:

think can order online lah. payment via paypal anyway. :)

but seriously... unless you got people helping you to set up, it is a pain to set up softbox/umbrella out in the field alone. regardless of how portable or light it may be, you still need to spend some time fiddling with the setup before every shot. the on-flash softbox is a decent enuf solution, if you can get the light close enuf to the subject. i ran thru dunno how many variations of umbrellas and softboxes, and have yet to find one that allows me the minimal fuss in setting up. now i just bounce the SB900 off some wall to make do, if i have to use flash.

and no... i am not getting the flash wings... way too dorky....:bsmilie:

i seriously doubt the flash wings will work like what they promote in thier video.

i got the Lumiquest softbox which doesn't block the infra red 1. the flash is still quite harsh, only the shadow is soften.

the gary fong collapsible lightsphere also not very good, if nothing to bounce. disappointed

i got the Lumiquest softbox which doesn't block the infra red 1. the flash is still quite harsh, only the shadow is soften.

the gary fong collapsible lightsphere also not very good, if nothing to bounce. disappointed

I think the main reason is because the diffuser surface area is not very big, and it cannot be too big otherwise will block the lens. That's why I think perhaps using a larger modifier on a light stand would be better. The only problem is the portability and the setup time.

Aurora Firefly? It's like a beauty dish softbox, it's study and light, but requires a lighstand.
SG camera store has it. http://www.sgcamerastore.com/Studio-Equipments/Aurora-FireFly-Beauty-Box/prod_850.html

The Firely is not bad but after searching around, it seems like the Photek Softlighter Hot Shoe Diffuser Kit is better as the light from the flash is reflected before being diffused. The 36" version is selling at USD105 at B&H Photo. There is also another option of using the 46" Photek Softlighter II at a cheaper price of USD60 at B&H, but need to add our own flash mount (or ball bungee) and umbrella adapter. Example setup here and here. The results are quite pleasing from the second link.

Last edited: