Portable Softbox

It does look like that the softlighter can't ETTL. I do have the firefly, it does give a nice quality of light for its size. There's a sort of silver reflector inside the diffuser material of the firefly, so some light is bounced and reflected from the back before being directed back to the subject. Hopefully the softlighter can be more easily available locally. Interested to get 1 to try out

There is one guy selling the 46" Softlighter II in B&S at an exorbitant price of $150...

Ok just found one that's similar to the Softlighter, the 36" "Umbrella Bounce Softbox" selling by artworkfoto, and is $40 only. Will probably drop by their shop to take a look tomorrow. :)

The Firely is not bad but after searching around, it seems like the Photek Softlighter Hot Shoe Diffuser Kit is better as the light from the flash is reflected before being diffused. The 36" version is selling at USD105 at B&H Photo. There is also another option of using the 46" Photek Softlighter II at a cheaper price of USD60 at B&H, but need to add our own flash mount (or ball bungee) and umbrella adapter. Example setup here and here. The results are quite pleasing from the second link.

i have the 60" softlighter, light is good.

should be the same with the 46" although from what i see the firefly wins in compactability.

btw dennis,

do you have sample photos on the light from the firefly, been thinking of it for packing overseas.

tia.

hijacked abit...is there a big difference between a branded softbox than a cheapo 1?

built? got feel the ezybox rip offs compared to my ezybox, can tell the material is cheapo..

in terms of light not much, see how long the cheapo one can last lor.. if last as long as original good. if not waste money keep replacing it.

sinned79 said:
yup i have haha. but it is shot outdoors... so maybe hard to see the effects :D

Can pm link? Wanna check it out, naybe for travelling due to the folded size

Gotten the 60cm Firefly as the size is just about right for outdoor strobist purposes. But will augment it with double folding umbrellas since those are even more portable. Just checked around and seems like the local shops only have wescott and no china clones, and the wescott ones are not cheap (~$45/pc).

It's like an umbrella but doesn't fold as compact as one. Because of the way it folds I can't really put things on top of it when it is in the bag. I travel by motorcycle or bicycle most of the time. So I take my 60cm softbox, which folds flat, most of the time. I'm thinking of getting a hard case for the Firefly.

It's like an umbrella but doesn't fold as compact as one. Because of the way it folds I can't really put things on top of it when it is in the bag. I travel by motorcycle or bicycle most of the time. So I take my 60cm softbox, which folds flat, most of the time. I'm thinking of getting a hard case for the Firefly.

yeah its quite fragile, one of the metal binds inside slighly bent already :cry:

sinned79 said:
yeah that i concur. what happened to mine is cos i think i accidentally place something heavy over it :x

Ya. And if you shoot outdoors, get sandbags too. ;)