portable setup for portrait

Adrian Sim

Dec 20, 2011
Hi, I'm working on a community project which needs to have a reasonable inexpensive portable setup for shooting of elderly portrait at hdb void deck. Can anyone advice me what is needed and where I can get the items. Currently I've a Canon 60D, 18-200mm and 50mm f1.8 len. Is this sufficient ? Thanks

Hi, I'm working on a community project which needs to have a reasonable inexpensive portable setup for shooting of elderly portrait at hdb void deck. Can anyone advice me what is needed and where I can get the items. Currently I've a Canon 60D, 18-200mm and 50mm f1.8 len. Is this sufficient ? Thanks

Goodness you joined Dec2011 and it's your first post?

Yeah, your DSLR and two lenses can do portraits. Is this sufficient? How are you going to light up
your elderly folks.If in the morning the void decks have no lighting. Are you setting up a temporary
studio at the void deck? ( simple cloth backdrop or screen ). I'm assuming you are a volunteer and anything you need will be self financed? If you use the camera's pop up flash your elderly folks pictures will look like police station mug shots.Is this the quality you want and what's the purpose of this community project?

Off hand I think you will need a tripod and an external flash with a flash head that can tilt up/down
and swivel sideways to bounce the light for a pleasing look.For studio type lighting you can visit
virtual shop - Tago Tech for simple setup of two lights for under $200.

http://store.tagotech.com/index.php?cPath=23_86

Last edited:

Really depends on what you need the portraits for. Just by using the 50/1.8, you should be able to get pretty good shots. If you are looking for photos for use for certain purposes (ie like passport photos), you will need a flash gun.

There are many shops in Funan selling umbrella, bracket and light stand as a set less then $50.

Don't buy, just rent it, I will explain why when I'm free.

questions you need to ask yourself first;

what type of shots you want to create?
how many pax you will need to shoot?

if you plan just to have simple head and shoulder shot of individuals, one off camera hotshoe flash with umbrella set up is good enough, you need to have a light stand can rise the light to 2m high for more decent lighting.

and if you plan to shoot more than 50 pax, you will need a studio strobe instead of using hotshoe flash, as you will need to replace the weak batteries and let the flash rest for preventing overheating.

seem light you don't have anything except your camera, so get a cheap hotshoe flash, light stand, umbrella, umbrella adaptor, plus batteries will cost around $200.00, and that is bare minimum set up, assuming you already sponsor your service, if you spend another $200, do you think you can afford it? and use them in future? will it become white elephant after the project?
why not just go and rent it, you can spend less with more decent set up, it will make your life easier too.
either the organizer pay for the rental expenses or let sponsors get tax rebate for making donation on the rental expenses.

Dear All,

Sorry that I did not make myself clear.

This community project is out of my own pocket. I have 2 external flashes and tripod. My idea is to take photo shoot for poor elderly which can't afford to take a decent photograph. Before taking the photo, there will be volunteer hair dresser to cut their hair. And then they will proceed to take their " glamor" photo ( just like those take in studio). Please do not mistaken this is for obituary photo, haha.

Not expert in studio lighting.
As u mentioned it community project so u may want keep cost as low as possible if u think after the event, u will not use those stuffs that u planned to buy. Can save the $ for donation instead.
If the void deck has a clean wall, can use that as "backdrop"?
Take look at place b4 event if u not familiar with it, see what need to be added few days b4. Maybe if can get friend together so can take test shot. Find spot where there enough nature light that shine in (hope that day there enough sunlight). If need reflector etc, either buy if u have budget or use other things, eg car sun shade, white styrofoam etc?

Search YouTube has quite few videos on tips how use natural lighting.

Last edited:
Dear All,

This community project is out of my own pocket. I have 2 external flashes and tripod. My idea is to take photo shoot for poor elderly which can't afford to take a decent photograph. Before taking the photo, there will be volunteer hair dresser to cut their hair. And then they will proceed to take their " glamor" photo ( just like those take in studio). Please do not mistaken this is for obituary photo, haha.

With 2 external flashes and tripod you should be able to do the job,why the queries?

Dear All,

Good on you man!!
Very nice of you to do this!

I see, it is like help portrait.
the main idea is to give a portrait as a gift to someone who can't afford.

my suggestion is keep it simple;
if you want to use flash, you still need light stand, umbrella, and umbrella adaptor. Use the wall of void deck as backdrop, one flash on camera pointed at ceiling as master flash and fill light, one off camera flash on light stand with umbrella as key light.
if you want to use natural light, it can be done too.

you can check out Bing's blog, a Singaporean girl who did help portrait in a foreign land

http://www.storyofbing.com/tag/help-portrait/

and the 5 sec face by Danny Santos

http://dannyst.com/5-sec-faces.html

if you still need help on the set up, you can contact me.

Sounds like a worthy project to support. I have my own portable studio setup, PM me if you're interested in collaborating.

since u already got flash. next question is what u want in the background?

pure white or u okay with trees, void deck walls and etc.

Hi Adrian,

Do let me if I can be of help to this project, have my own photography studio and equipments (backdrop stands, backdrop, printers, etc) for set-up.

Will help this project as much as I can! :)

Dear All, thank you for all your kind offer. Last few days, the organizer has cancelled this program due to time constraints for 3 activities in 2-3 hours slot.

They will be only doing the health talk and hair cut.

Once again, thanks for your kind offer.

GOD BLESS

Adrian

Adrian,

Since you've the connection and contacts, why don't you ask the organizer to have additional time for some of us to help you out with this project?
I would be more than glad to help out with this--I don't mind chipping in to do some printing for them too--Ikea has plenty of cheap photo frames or i think we could get much cheaper ones elsewhere too.

It is time we give back to Society.

Definitely!!! as long as u know the gear and lens well..it would do..all the best!