Portable power supply for flashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

friedrich

May 18, 2005
Hi guys......

Just new here. Been wanting to know if somebody have checked this out...

http://www.innovatronix.com/cgi-bin/productcatalog/detailpage.asp?productid=323&categoryid=42

Says will work to most flashes. I got my Alienbees B800 and my old but reliable visatec flash.

Like to compare the Explorer with Dynalite. It sure does worth cheaper but wants some more feedback.

Have contacted their marketing guys, they promised its efficient job already.

Hope to hear from you guys. :D

15.4lbs = 6.985kg?

uhhh.... i'll need a strong man to help me carry. 2 kg battery is enough to kill me already.

friedrich said:
Hi guys......

Just new here. Been wanting to know if somebody have checked this out...

http://www.innovatronix.com/cgi-bin/productcatalog/detailpage.asp?productid=323&categoryid=42

Says will work to most flashes. I got my Alienbees B800 and my old but reliable visatec flash.

Like to compare the Explorer with Dynalite. It sure does worth cheaper but wants some more feedback.

Have contacted their marketing guys, they promised its efficient job already.

Hope to hear from you guys. :D

It's very reasonable for the power capability - it's impossible to cobble together one yourself for that kind of money (as in buy a sine wave inverter and a battery separately).

The recycling speed is about normal for this size of device (which means slow). 6kg is BTW not that heavy for a 1200W unit.

Watch out for the caveats - the manual suggests not for use with a digitally controlled flash.

A Bowens user's report

PDN forum discussion

I'd be keen to hear of your own findings.

FWIW, the trick to using these things comfortably is have a cart to roll it around. A good dependable cart system is harder to find than a good sine wave inverter........ :bsmilie:

Hi Kahheng,

Thanks for the info, I have read the PDN report and Bowens
forum that you posted and the product seems to be okay. Very
good price for the performance. I am seriously thinking of ordering
1 myself. I have been looking for something like this for my outdoor
pre-nuptial shots on wedding couples. My flash is not listed but it
has a slider for its power control and the manual says it will be
compatible. I also tried lifting 2 kgs at home and it seems to be
acceptable. Is there anything I should watchout before I make my
order?

jen ashton

Kindly note that the battery is not 2kg but 7kg.

jen_ashton said:
Hi Kahheng,

Thanks for the info, I have read the PDN report and Bowens
forum that you posted and the product seems to be okay. Very
good price for the performance. I am seriously thinking of ordering
1 myself. I have been looking for something like this for my outdoor
pre-nuptial shots on wedding couples. My flash is not listed but it
has a slider for its power control and the manual says it will be
compatible. I also tried lifting 2 kgs at home and it seems to be
acceptable. Is there anything I should watchout before I make my
order?

jen ashton

Hello Vince,

Your right it is 7 kgs. not 2 kgs. So I tried comparing it with some of my
photogear and it is equivalent to 2 monolights. still not bad and acceptable although much more heavier than the original 2 kilos that I originally thought it was. Anyway I would appreciate if anybody out there who have bought an
innovatronix unit can write about his experiences.

jen ashton

Well lifting 7 kgs is ok for a while, but when you have to carry it everywhere for long distances/times, the "apparent" weight starts to increase exponentially with time.
jen_ashton said:
Hello Vince,

Your right it is 7 kgs. not 2 kgs. So I tried comparing it with some of my
photogear and it is equivalent to 2 monolights. still not bad and acceptable although much more heavier than the original 2 kilos that I originally thought it was. Anyway I would appreciate if anybody out there who have bought an
innovatronix unit can write about his experiences.

jen ashton

use a trolley lo.

vince123123 said:
Well lifting 7 kgs is ok for a while, but when you have to carry it everywhere for long distances/times, the "apparent" weight starts to increase exponentially with time.

Care to compare it(Explorer 1200) with Dyna-lite 1110 Power Inverter that is almost 10 kgs or with Vagabond 150 although comes with a carrying bag, the parts are not all integrated?
Although I like the sleek and compact design of Dynalite and it works with flashes 1000Ws and below, suitable for my working units, I am pretty suprised with the cost difference.
Just voicing out my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.