Portable Photo Viewers

Status
Not open for further replies.

vector1

Feb 3, 2007
Hey all,

I'm planning to get a portable photo viewer (ppv) to complement my laptop's ailing hard drive, and I would like to find out what sort of ppv you all are using, if any.

I've looked at the P-5000 from Epson, and M80 from canon. My main aims are to get a viewer with a large HDD, good screen for reviewing photos and must be able to see 20D .CR2 files. Additional "wants" are a cohesive user experience, not to mention a nice design, though these are secondary compared to the above mentioned.

I would appreciate if anyone could share their experiences with these ppvs, and recommend any other brands that I should take into consideration.

Thanks everyone

There are few brands to consider:

I am currently having Apple Ipod Video and Vosinic 8390, bought to try and sold away the following models:

1. Creative ZenW 30G
2. Epson P2000
3. Vosonic 6230i
4. Vosonic 8360

I am most satisfy with the vosonic VP8390 as compare to the above 4 models that I have owned and sold away. Therefore I strongly recommend the Vosonic VP8390, it can support up to 160G 2.5" drive. Go to the Vosonic website to study the spec. Obviously comparing between the 3 Vosonic models, 8390 is top of the line, you should compare between this vs Epson P200 & Creativ ZenW.

What I like about the 8390 are:
1. Superb clear LCD display
2. Built in mic for voice recording
3. Built in speaker
4. Widest movies format supported
5. MP3 player, and even play songs directly copy from ITune library, doesn't need to convert to MP3 format - You can use ITune to manage your songs, directly copy the ITune library into the HDD location of this unit, can play the songs directly.
6. Widest built in memory card readers: SD, MMC, CF (type I & II), MS/MS Pro, XD
7. Built in FM radio.
8. Video recording function
9. Photo display, support most RAW format.
10. replacable HDD, support up to 2.5" 160G
11. Can copy from memory card to HDD, HDD to memory card, memory card to memory card.

After trying so many models, this is the best gear in my opinion. You should be able to get it for $450 without HDD, or below $600 with 120G HDD.

It seems very nice, but compared to the P-5000, and M80, all with bigger and maybe better screens, is it worthwhile?

It seems very nice, but compared to the P-5000, and M80, all with bigger and maybe better screens, is it worthwhile?

I only owned the P2000 for short while, screen resolution of Epson is much better then Vosonic: 640 x 480 vs 320 x 240. However, I find feature and user interface wise, Visonic beats all other brands hands down. Depending on your purpose, you have to decide which is more suitable for you.

I believe the price of P5000 is in the range of $800-$1000? As you go up the price and size range, you might as well consider a new 7" sub-notebook PC, costing about $1300, it has 30G HDD, CF/SD card reader, 800 x 480 super bright display.

Hm, I'm now considering the P-5000 and Jobo Giga Pro Evolution ( or something like that). P5000 cost from some shop in funan (can't remember, is level 3 beside escalator) is 1218, and the jobo from CP is 1189. Anyone has experience with both these viewers? I saw the jobo at CP, and the colors and screen are impressive. I can very clearly see everything at 160 deg away from the screen in all directions, more than that the screen appears too small to view due to the slant.

Poh, I already have a dell inspiron 6400 for mobile processing. I'm just looking at these options for a more portable solution to storage + can be used for vids music etc.

If you wants music, Vosonic will not lose out, but if you want to view video, you may want to find out what video format that is supported? All these Portabel Media Player have limited support format. (I speak on my experience of P2000, not sure about the P5000), when I first got into PMP, I though it is like notebook, can play any format, then when I bought them, trying to put my video in it, most of them are not supported.

But for sure, the AVI video taken with P&S camera, mostly ok. Direct copy from VCD and DVD disc are ok, the rest you have to find out.

just got jobo evolution from CP couple of days ago...now in switzerland testing the device. this is my take.

1. screen is great thou i do not own epson model so can't really make a comparison
2. download speed was speedy. didn't exactly time but 46 raw file (700+ MB) < 2 min
3. movie playback is great if it's supported. sadly only mpeg 2/4 supported. hopefully their firmware upgrade can address this.
4. music playback is loud n clear from build-in speaker. supplied earphone is cheap looking so i nv used it.
5. nice to hold n feel good to touch. it comes with a cover to protect the screen which is good but the cover scratch easily thou this is no big deal since it's better for cover to take the punishment than the jobo itself.

so anyone interested in my set? thought of trying epson model.

vosonic VP8390 looks good. thinkin to get one (casing alone and hook up with my old HDD) this weekend.. update once I got it..Any cheaper sales which is comparable??
:bigeyes:

I have my mind set on an Epson P5000 ;p :thumbsup: :lovegrin:
:devil: :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.