Portable HDD with card Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenkht

Sep 21, 2008
Singapore
Can any recommend where I can get a portable harddisk drive with in built card reader? I need to prepare for a trekking trip but do not want to drag my laptop along. Looking for something that I can transfer pictures direct from my CF card to the HDD. Any recommendations will be truly appreciated.

Think Eastgear has some.

Should be able to, it has the same function as normal ext hardisk.

Should be able to, it has the same function as normal ext hardisk.

thanks. another question.. how long can the battery last per charge? is there an option to charge the battery using those AAs batteries?

thanks. another question.. how long can the battery last per charge?

Unit rated to be able to transfer 8GB of data per full battery charge of the re-chargable battery unit. Incidentally, from my exprience, it can't be charger via USB port. So it needs a 5V DC adapter head to do the charging.

You might want to take a look at this one.
http://www.hyperdrive.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-UDMA-s/64.htm

The battery life is directly affected by how fast the drive can read your memory card. The faster it can fiinish your 8GB card, the longer the battery life... Colorspace claims they can backup 250GB per charge.

or this one from Nexto:
http://www.eastgear.com/store/nexto-extreme-nd2700-professional-storage-device-case-only-p-143.html

Nexto from EastGear or Colorspace from Memory World (shops in Funan and SLS) are among the best PSDs (Portable Storage Device) available.

Colorspace is able to display the jpeg on a LCD screen while Nexto just give you enough information to tell you the memory card is fully backup.

They are not cheap but you get what you pay for...

Guys, I just dropped by Funan just now. MemoryWorld is selling the HyperDrive ColorSpace UDMA. Pricing as follows,

0GB $339
160GB $419
250GB $446
320GB $464
500GB $633

From what it looks, I think the empty shell is better value. 500GB 2.5inch harddisk drive is around $250 at most, combined cost still lower. But be warned, the ColorSpace UDMA's overall outlook will not win awards, nor satisfy as it feels kinda cheap for such an expensive piece of kit.

Last edited:
It uses the same batt as Nokia 8210. It comes with 2x batt, 1x adapter for charging, and 1x usb cable. You could charge by using the adapter or usb connection. So far never using it tried till batt runs dry as I charge it everytime before going out for shoot.

Looking at Ovation Photobank too, any review?

i have the hyperdrive and love it. backed up 20gb of data on my australia trip without having to recharge. no frills and simple to use

if u can wait for IT fairs. got mine for 299 but likely not the UDMA version

I've transfered 8gb to the ovation photobank, it takes up abt 10mins to transfer. The only set back is the battery seems to fluctuate during transfer. So I usually would charge it before bringing it out. It comes with 2x batt (its the same batt as Nokia 8210), so you can bring back-up batt. For the price ($135, 250gb) I've no complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.