Portable HDD problem, pls help ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenx

Mar 27, 2004
Hi, I just purchased a Samsung 40Gb 2.5" HDD. The strange thing is, after I put it into my casing, my laptop (using XP) can't seems to detect the HDD.

I am sure my USB port isn't spoilt as it works well with other devices. I am also sure that I placed the HDD correctly into the casing too.

So, what else could be the problem? Any advices to resolve this?

Many thanks to you ... ;)

try insert both USB connectors to ur notebook, do not move the cable & the drive during data transfer.

Might be a initialization or power issue:

Is the HDD initialized? You'll need to go to Control Panel>Computer Admin>Disk Mgmt>rt click on the correct HDD>Initialize.

Power: Some USB ports don't supply enough current to power-up the HDD, you'll hear a faint regular clicking sound. If you have a Y cable, you'll need both USBs connected. If you only have one USB port, you'll need to connect the power to the PS-2 keyboard/mouse port.

goto disk management (ctrl panel -> admin tools -> computer mgmt), initialise, partition, then format. that should do it.

wenx said:
Hi, I just purchased a Samsung 40Gb 2.5" HDD. The strange thing is, after I put it into my casing, my laptop (using XP) can't seems to detect the HDD.

I am sure my USB port isn't spoilt as it works well with other devices. I am also sure that I placed the HDD correctly into the casing too.

So, what else could be the problem? Any advices to resolve this?

Many thanks to you ... ;)

Hi,
What's brand & model of your labtop?

Digistar: I will try that method and post the result online.

Satan18349: Mine is USB 2.0

ykia: I tried your first method but after i go into disk mgmt, I can't locate my HDD. Nothing there except my C drive.

Haohan: I tried but can't locate my HDD.

jc1: Mine is Toshiba Satellite.

Thanks for all your responses ...Ha, very very helpful indeed. I will try to plup in 2 connectors into 2 USB and see how it goes...Thanks!

Sigh... after trying all the methods that are provided by you guys, I still couldn't manage to detect my HDD. Looks like I need to make a trip down to Sim Lim today again... :(

Check the jumper on the hard disk. Make sure it is set to 'Master' or 'Single Drive'. Once you've changed the jumper setting try pluggin it into the USB port again. It should work.

I got the same harddisk as you.
Also encounter the same problem.

1) get your pc to ID the drive (hopefully you running XP?)
2) it will appear as a USB drive in your device manager but not under
"my computer"
3) under device manager, right click properties, and reinstall USB driver
4) once done, then do a format either using FAT32 or NTFS.
5) If you do not have norton partition magic, go to your control panel
6) look for computer admin tools
7) click computer management
8) click storage, format from there.

no need any jumper setting since you are using it as a USB device.
leave it as it is.

Another thing is make sure your laptop support USB 2.0
and if you plug in any usb port extension, those must be USB 2.0, if not
(USB 1.1) will slow down your harddisk.

Check under Disk Management did it detect your HDD as an empty drive, if so, format it and assign a drive letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.