Portable Hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

urban

Mar 7, 2002
Hi,

Wanted to check with you folks.

Does anyone have experience buying an external USB/firewire portable HDD to use?

I wanted to buy the creative one on sale but was put off by the huge crowd yesterday during lunch. Does anyone have any recommendation to make? MAxtor, Iomega? or Taiwanese brand available in Sim Lim Square?

Appreciate any advise or comments.

thanks,:sweat:

3.5" or 2.5"? For 2.5", IMO IBM Travelstar is one of the better brands.

For 3.5", I use mainly Maxtor. As for the USB casing, I've used single bay and dual-bay before. But they are not really portable, they still need a power point for its power.

What do u need to know about the portable hdd? and what are u using them for?

an ex-colleague bought one from Sim Lim b4... some Taiwanese brand, 20Gb and cost him $150. He never had a problem with it.

another ex-colleague got a branded one... and she had to send it in for service twice.

Originally posted by munfai
an ex-colleague bought one from Sim Lim b4... some Taiwanese brand, 20Gb and cost him $150. He never had a problem with it.

another ex-colleague got a branded one... and she had to send it in for service twice.

There is also someone in my office using a taiwan brand usb2.0 drive so far so good. i guess for $150, it is a good buy. Creative on sale also $179. Will take a look at SLS this weekend.

:think:

I think all 3.5 inch external cases need external power supply. I have not seen one that can be powered directly from the USB connection alone. However, most 2.5 inch (notebook hdd) can be powered from the USB connection alone.

I am using the sarotech external USB2.0 3.5 inch hdd case with a WD JB1200 (120GB, 8MB cache) hdd. Bought both as bundled from Storage System (SLS) at $298, which i think is about the best to be found anywhere in S'pore.

http://www.sarotech.com/cgi/main_eng.cgi?cmd=fhd_353_e
Mine is black colour one.

besides this icecube and sarotech any other brands to recommend? interested in getting a external casing too.

dunno of any other better brands, but the 2 are the more popular and good ones. U might want to go down to Storage Studio @ 3F SLS, they do stock quite some other brands and models of portable HDD casing.

I'm using a Sarotech Cutie 2.5 inch USB 2.0 Casing, cost about $70. Together with an old 6gb notebook hdd. :)

Think a new 20 GB hdd will cost about...er.. $150 ?

Thanks everyone for their ideas and comments.

My bro in the end volunteered to help me install an internal disk (i am a non-techie).

Bot myself a 120GB ATA133 int HDD for $210 instead... hope it works fine for me... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.