Portabel HDD storage device


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2005
478
0
0
Singapore, West
#1
Hi All,

I am looking for a portable HDD for backing up photos on the road.
Would like to know which is your choice and reasons. Thanks.

Basic requirements
- 40GB or more HDD space
- support CF I & II, SD/MMC
- built in rechargeable battery or AA/AAA operation.

Right now the few I know of are:
- CompactDrive PD70X
- XDrive VP6210, XDrive II+ VP2160
- FotoBar

Anything else and expected price range?
 

#2
You could perhaps consider buying a device with USB Host (OTG) functions. This means you do not need to insert all types of memory devices anymore. You just simply plug in the camera directly to the device, and transfer all images to the HD.

I did have a vosonic 3320, but sold that one to get myself the simple but really handy apacer share steno (use google for the specs). This device is very neat.

You could also consider a newer mp3 player with HDD and USB Host, like the cowon X5L or the ipod photo..

Good luck...

Btw...I only know dutch prices, so I cannot help you that much with that..I paid roughly 50 euro's for the apacer, but that is without the HDD
 

chriszzz

New Member
Jan 17, 2003
633
0
0
Visit site
#4
ConnorMcLeod said:
Hi All,

I am looking for a portable HDD for backing up photos on the road.
Would like to know which is your choice and reasons. Thanks.

Basic requirements
- 40GB or more HDD space
- support CF I & II, SD/MMC
- built in rechargeable battery or AA/AAA operation.

Right now the few I know of are:
- CompactDrive PD70X
- XDrive VP6210, XDrive II+ VP2160
- FotoBar

Anything else and expected price range?
A plug for the Vosonics. They are great, and work perfectly on the road. I've used the XDrive II, II Pro, and now I have the II+ aka VP2160. All work perfectly and I have never lost a single photo. But, my VP2160 seems a bit finicky when connected to my PC, and sometimes it will not be recognized and I have to disconnect and reconnect a few times. Could be firmware related, but the photos are still safe and sound in the drive. Another plus is the 2160 uses a user-replaceable (you have to open up the case though) Fuji NP60 battery used by digicams, so you can always buy a new one if the old one dies.

In any case, you can also consider the Digimate II+, which I believe is similar to the VP2160 featurewise, but with back-lit screen. You can find it for around $60 on yahoo auctions.
 

iria

New Member
Feb 3, 2005
53
0
0
Toa Payoh
#6
Can i save RAW format images to these OTG HDD?


I m looking for A OTG HDD that can save RAW images and computer data (via plug and play Windows OS etc).
 

poh6702

New Member
May 8, 2004
999
1
0
#7
I have been searching for the best portable HDD storage device, and I have found one, would like to share it here since someone bring up the topic. Please note, everybody's wants and need are difference, my best might not be yours.

1. It cost only $89 without HDD. You can add a 2.5" HDD your own. (40G cost about $115).
2. It has built in rechargable battery that can last up to 2 hours of image transfer.
3. It can be charged via USB port.
4. It operates like a portable HDD drive when connecting to PC via USB, and the battery is also charged at the sametime.
5. It has slots for CF type I & II, SD, Mini SD, MS, MS duo.
6. It funcitons as multi card reader when connecting to a PC via USB.
7. It has single button to activate transfer of memory from card to HDD, and with indicator to show the status of transfer.

Too good to be true .........

Here are some pictures:





It has a width and height of 2.5" HDD.


It is same thickness as my Dopot 838.
 

poh6702

New Member
May 8, 2004
999
1
0
#8
DC in and USB connection, although supply with DC charger, I never use it, because it can be charged via USB.


CF slot on the top


MS Pro, SD slot on the right side, and battery door to replace the battery.


Mini SD, MD Duo slot on the left side, and the power and copy button.


The first partition must be FAT 32 if you want to operate as standalone to copy from memory cards. Up to max 32G, extra disk space can be NTFS or FAT32.
 

yumyum

Senior Member
Aug 18, 2005
1,475
0
36
38
Singapore
www.yummibear.multiply.com
#10
poh6702 said:
DC in and USB connection, although supply with DC charger, I never use it, because it can be charged via USB.


CF slot on the top


MS Pro, SD slot on the right side, and battery door to replace the battery.


Mini SD, MD Duo slot on the left side, and the power and copy button.


The first partition must be FAT 32 if you want to operate as standalone to copy from memory cards. Up to max 32G, extra disk space can be NTFS or FAT32.

this is the device otg????
 

#12
Hmm, I think there are way too many crappy devices on the market nowadays. I've had that vosonic, and the device felt crappy. Besides the HD crashed a couple of times, the HD was brand new. Luckily for me I didn't have that much pictures onboard. But when I'm in Asia for 5 weeks, I wouldn't want to experience a HD crash with all my pics...

I now have that apacer, and still I don't feel safe about it. I guess all these usb HD devices have bigger risks of problems. I have a HD 3,5 inch USB device, and that one also consumed two new maxtors in 6 months.

I know am planning to get myself that Cowon Iaudio X5L, also USD OTG/HOST, hopefully that is a more reliable unit...
 

rawbean

New Member
May 28, 2005
122
0
0
s'pore
www.rawbean.com
#13
poh6702 said:
I have been searching for the best portable HDD storage device, and I have found one, would like to share it here since someone bring up the topic. Please note, everybody's wants and need are difference, my best might not be yours.

1. It cost only $89 without HDD. You can add a 2.5" HDD your own. (40G cost about $115).
2. It has built in rechargable battery that can last up to 2 hours of image transfer.
3. It can be charged via USB port.
4. It operates like a portable HDD drive when connecting to PC via USB, and the battery is also charged at the sametime.
5. It has slots for CF type I & II, SD, Mini SD, MS, MS duo.
6. It funcitons as multi card reader when connecting to a PC via USB.
7. It has single button to activate transfer of memory from card to HDD, and with indicator to show the status of transfer.

Too good to be true .........

Here are some pictures:





It has a width and height of 2.5" HDD.


It is same thickness as my Dopot 838.
Where can i get this? Need it quite urgently before my trip.
 

poh6702

New Member
May 8, 2004
999
1
0
#14
There are only few units in shops in Sim Lim Square. Because no one realize it, it is usually within bunch of other portable Hard disk casing. You really have to search through shelfs in shops on the fifth floor.

I have been using it for few weeks, mine is very stable, transfer speed is very good, 100Mbytes of data transferred within 1 minutes.

If you ever buy it, remember to partition the first partition to be Fat32 and max size up to 30G. Or else it will not be recognized when working in standalone mode.
 

weekh

Senior Member
Sep 6, 2004
4,101
0
0
#15
I've considered get some of these devices but they just don't meet my expectation.

So I've given up hope on them and am now considering using a labtop as the backup.
A lappy with a 12" LCD that weighs less than 1.5kg seems to be a good choice.
 

poh6702

New Member
May 8, 2004
999
1
0
#17
Some one is selling the similar units in B&S for $80 without HDD. He is having few units for sell.

The one I am having us not crapy staff.

If you happen to have an IPOD, then get a camera connection kit @$54, but transfer rate is very slow and the IPOD battery will not last long in single full charged.
 

Leonardo

New Member
Mar 14, 2006
325
0
0
East Coast
#18
Hi ConnorMcLeod, check out the Epson P2000.

It's a very nice and reliable stuff. If you need a portable HD combined with a great wiewer then look at the P2000. It also include a very nice and intuitive software to manage all the files.
You can easily create album and review your photo while travelling even without a PC.

Main features are :
- 3,8" LCD (high definition TFT technology)
- 40 Gb HDD
- Memory card : CF I & II - SD - MicroDrive
- Media file for Photo : JPEG + RAW
- Media file for Movie : MPEG4
- Media file for Audio : MP3
- Dimension : 147 mm x 64 mm x 31 mm
- Weight : 410 g

I have used it during some trips and is just amazing.:)
 

markccm

Deregistered
Jan 25, 2003
2,095
0
0
Asylum, Ward 4444
Visit site
#19
Leonardo said:
Hi ConnorMcLeod, check out the Epson P2000.

It's a very nice and reliable stuff. If you need a portable HD combined with a great wiewer then look at the P2000. It also include a very nice and intuitive software to manage all the files.
You can easily create album and review your photo while travelling even without a PC.

Main features are :
- 3,8" LCD (high definition TFT technology)
- 40 Gb HDD
- Memory card : CF I & II - SD - MicroDrive
- Media file for Photo : JPEG + RAW
- Media file for Movie : MPEG4
- Media file for Audio : MP3
- Dimension : 147 mm x 64 mm x 31 mm
- Weight : 410 g

I have used it during some trips and is just amazing.:)
u forgot the most impt piece of info.

how much?
 

Leonardo

New Member
Mar 14, 2006
325
0
0
East Coast
#20
During the last IT Show in Singapore (March 2006) the price was 798 S$.
Now I heard that it should be cheaper, but no precise data...
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom