Population Growth in Singapore since Independence

Jedi

Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
In 1965 when Singapore became independence, the population was 1,886,900. After which, the population grew steadily to 2,074,507 in 1970. Fast forward to the next 10 years, in 1980, the population stood at 2,413,945. In another 10 years down the road, the population stood at 3,047,132 in 1990. The below table shows how the population has increased over the past 50 years.

YearTotal PopulationSingapore CitizensPermanent ResidentsNon-Residents
19651,886,900NANANA
Figures are round up to the nearest hundred.

From the above table, you can clearly see that the population grows at the exponential rate from 1990 to 2010. After 2010, the growth rate has dropped significantly. Therefore, it was the population boom during the period 1990-2010. Could it be the injection of foreigners by the government in that 20 years?

From the table, you can also see that 1.5m people in Singapore now are non-residents. This means that these people are here purely for work.

One more thing to note is the figures on Singapore Citizens. Out of the 3.3m Citizens based on 2014 data, at least more than 1m are foreigners converted to Citizenship. Therefore, true blue Singaporeans are merely around 2m. You need to compare with the Birth and Death rates statistics in order to delude it.

No wonder, many people feel that there are more foreigners than Singaporeans in Singapore.

We have 5.4m people in Singapore now. Every year, 20,000 citizenship and 30,000 PR are given out as quoted by our PM during the recent TV interview. Let see whether we can achieve 6m population by 2020. :think:

Every time, I am on board the MRT, I find myself outnumbered at least 4 to 1 by FTs. Are you sure you got the most current data regarding our country's demographics, that is if I can still call it "our country"? :think:

Anyhow, at the rate they are dishing out citizenships and PR invites, it is only a matter of time that you have Simgapore for sale. You don't believe me right?..... Wait a couple of months more and you will see adverts all over .....it's called The Great Singapore Sale. :p

Last edited:
Somehow I didn't feel what the table shows. The 3 over millions Singaporeans are true blood locals? Data from?

Somehow I didn't feel what the table shows. The 3 over millions Singaporeans are true blood locals? Data from?

Are there really true blood singaporeans? Singapore is a country made up of immigrants... fyi

Are there really true blood singaporeans? Singapore is a country made up of immigrants... fyi

True-blooded Singaporeans have all gone fishing ......or most of them have been eaten up by that lion that was last spotted by King Utama . :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Wow steady. How or where did you manage to get this data?

This is the kind of hard facts we should use to question the government.

I remember several years ago, Mah Bow Tan came out confidently (and even dare to show he was somewhat upset) to put down citizens who had complained that HDB flat prices shot up because of the huge number of foreigners the government had been admitting into Singapore.

He said he had reviewed the statistics and found out that non-Singaporeans who had bought HDB flats back then constituted only 10% or so (I can't remember the exact figure but he was trying to show it was negligible). Hence, he concluded it wasn't because of foreigners who had caused the exponential increase in flat prices.

We all know that statistics can be manipulated and interpreted according to your own desire. Based on the figures shown in the table, it is easy to see why the foreigners had been excluded in the statistics Mah Bow Tan quoted. Many of the foreigners became new citizens! So of course, that explains.

It's a simple law of demand and supply. How could HDB flat prices shoot up from $200+k to $600k within a short 5 years other than the fact that the government were terribly ill-prepared to cope with the sudden rising population?

To rub salt into wound, I think many can remember how Mah Bow Tan then kept drilling into us HDB flats will always "affordable". Till today, the ministers still erroneously use this term "affordable". What some don't realize is, by affordable, they meant you downgrade your ideal lifestyle of owning a comfortably large 5-room or even executive flats of the past to start a family.

They are now advertising their 4-room flats as "cozy". And how 3-room flats are almost as good also. On top of that, affordability also means you take much longer 30-year loans rather than the more common 10-20 years not too long ago. To add more injury, we also remember how Tharman was made the scapegoat to say earning $1,000 a month, a person can own a flat, much to the frustrations of the common citizens.

We are not adverse to foreigners coming here. Or even if they are given citizenship, provided we cannot cope without them. But if a government overdo it, such that it affects our own citizens born and bred here, they have overstepped the limit.

If improving a country's economy is to simply import lots and lots of foreigners to increase productivity, at the expense of its own citizens, then what is so special about the government? Any country could have done it. Imagine if much larger countries like Japan, Australia or Korea suddenly increased its population by easily giving out citizenship to new foreigners, whether or not these people can speak their native languages. Their economy will certainly improve by leaps and bounds. Singapore will be nothing in comparison.

Japan is a country I've always admired. They've kept their country very much "closed" to foreigners. But look at their highly advanced technology in the various fields such as automobile, robotics, engineering, and medical which easily trounce Singapore. They were largely developed by their own talent pool of Japanese people. Look at their athletes who have won Olympics medals. Do we hear foreign sounding names? I can't remember of an instance. Look at their rich culture and well-mannered behavior and tip top service quality. It's a mark of respect we have all come to know.

In Singapore, we have talents. But instead of nurturing them, by rewarding them accordingly, by ensuring the infrastructure is in place so that good born and bred Singaporeans can grow and lead more respectable lifestyles, we readily import foreigners simply to pay them less and so that businesses could thrive through lower costs. We were told if we don't "upgrade" ourselves, if we keep complaining our salaries are low or stagnant (which is true given the rising cost of living), then that is why foreigners can replace us. Seriously, which government in other countries do such a thing to its own people?

Japan is a country I've always admired. They've kept their country very much "closed" to foreigners. But look at their highly advanced technology in the various fields such as automobile, robotics, engineering, and medical which easily trounce Singapore. They were largely developed by their own talent pool of Japanese people. Look at their athletes who have won Olympics medals. Do we hear foreign sounding names? I can't remember of an instance. Look at their rich culture and well-mannered behavior and tip top service quality. It's a mark of respect we have all come to know.

you kinda missed the part where during the Meiji era Japan brought in a lot of FTs to help develop their economy and military.
heck they were abducting Korean artisans back in the sengoku period to kickstart their own culture.

Wow steady. How or where did you manage to get this data?

This is the kind of hard facts we should use to question the government.

I remember several years ago, Mah Bow Tan came out confidently (and even dare to show he was somewhat upset) to put down citizens who had complained that HDB flat prices shot up because of the huge number of foreigners the government had been admitting into Singapore.

He said he had reviewed the statistics and found out that non-Singaporeans who had bought HDB flats back then constituted only 10% or so (I can't remember the exact figure but he was trying to show it was negligible). Hence, he concluded it wasn't because of foreigners who had caused the exponential increase in flat prices.

We all know that statistics can be manipulated and interpreted according to your own desire. Based on the figures shown in the table, it is easy to see why the foreigners had been excluded in the statistics Mah Bow Tan quoted. Many of the foreigners became new citizens! So of course, that explains.

It's a simple law of demand and supply. How could HDB flat prices shoot up from $200+k to $600k within a short 5 years other than the fact that the government were terribly ill-prepared to cope with the sudden rising population?

To rub salt into wound, I think many can remember how Mah Bow Tan then kept drilling into us HDB flats will always "affordable". Till today, the ministers still erroneously use this term "affordable". What some don't realize is, by affordable, they meant you downgrade your ideal lifestyle of owning a comfortably large 5-room or even executive flats of the past to start a family.

They are now advertising their 4-room flats as "cozy". And how 3-room flats are almost as good also. On top of that, affordability also means you take much longer 30-year loans rather than the more common 10-20 years not too long ago. To add more injury, we also remember how Tharman was made the scapegoat to say earning $1,000 a month, a person can own a flat, much to the frustrations of the common citizens.

We are not adverse to foreigners coming here. Or even if they are given citizenship, provided we cannot cope without them. But if a government overdo it, such that it affects our own citizens born and bred here, they have overstepped the limit.

If improving a country's economy is to simply import lots and lots of foreigners to increase productivity, at the expense of its own citizens, then what is so special about the government? Any country could have done it. Imagine if much larger countries like Japan, Australia or Korea suddenly increased its population by easily giving out citizenship to new foreigners, whether or not these people can speak their native languages. Their economy will certainly improve by leaps and bounds. Singapore will be nothing in comparison.

In Singapore, we have talents. But instead of nurturing them, by rewarding them accordingly, by ensuring the infrastructure is in place so that good born and bred Singaporeans can grow and lead more respectable lifestyles, we readily import foreigners simply to pay them less and so that businesses could thrive through lower costs. We were told if we don't "upgrade" ourselves, if we keep complaining our salaries are low or stagnant (which is true given the rising cost of living), then that is why foreigners can replace us. Seriously, which government in other countries do such a thing to its own people?

MBT ah .....What I last heard about this badass is that he is now a rich land lord collecting rental from his private apartments and suites. If it's true, he has as many as 11 at last count. ....and Granny told you that civil servants got no prospects. :what: Btw, must he still pay income tax or not? :think:

And of course, there are so many concerns arising from the fast pace of population growth. We have already experienced them; congestion and break-downs on our transport systems; tight housing market; inadequate supporting infrastructure not keeping pace with population boom. friction between Singaporeans and FT’s and new immigrants, the pace of change in our society.weakening the social cohesion that our forefathers have worked so hard over the years to build, and last but most precious, our National Identity. You ask yourself if what they are imposing for the sake of economic growth is really worth it. Are there other ways of instead of simply importing foreigners and to call them our own?

you kinda missed the part where during the Meiji era Japan brought in a lot of FTs to help develop their economy and military.
heck they were abducting Korean artisans back in the sengoku period to kickstart their own culture.

Meiji era was like 1900 or so? That's long ago. WWII came and Japan was hard hit after that. They bounced back. In many decades, they've not depended on imported foreigners to do their thing. They could have, like what Singapore is doing now, to speed things up. But they didn't.

I would be thrilled to come visit Singapore for a few weeks. And not to go to that triple tower boat either. But to go in the street shooting with you bros. Only so many people are going to be able to live there I'm afraid...:dunno:

MBT ah .....What I last heard about this badass is that he is now a rich land lord collecting rental from his private apartments and suites. If it's true, he has as many as 11 at last count. ....and Granny told you that civil servants got no prospects. :what: Btw, must he still pay income tax or not? :think:

And of course, there are so many concerns arising from the fast pace of population growth. We have already experienced them; congestion and break-downs on our transport systems; tight housing market; inadequate supporting infrastructure not keeping pace with population boom. friction between Singaporeans and FT’s and new immigrants, the pace of change in our society.weakening the social cohesion that our forefathers have worked so hard over the years to build, and last but most precious, our National Identity. You ask yourself if what they are imposing for the sake of economic growth is really worth it. Are there other ways of instead of simply importing foreigners and to call them our own?

Oh yes. I've heard about what MBT is currently doing with his properties too. In fact, I've a friend whose ex-classmate live in prime area. He pointed out the private homes of ministers being let out for rental. I guess we don't have to guess much why these ministers love it when property prices shot thru the roof a few years ago?

Looking at what they are doing from a layman's perspective, it's not hard to say it's greed. They want to speed things up, boost the economy too quickly. Even the PM himself said it was a lack of foresight on his part. Which I found it hard to believe. You don't have to be a First Class Math Honours grad from Cambridge University which the PM is, to realize that if you only have 1 apple and have to share with 1,000 people, there will be problems. Seems to me it's more like he was thinking: Take action first, bring in all the foreigners, appease the citizens later.

It's a dream success story to boost the country's economy. Unfortunately, it all happened too quickly at the expense of the common citizens. I don't think any other government elsewhere would even dare do this. Singaporeans are generally a very docile group of people who listen to the government and maybe that's why the PM was bold enough to do it.

Even so, how many commoners really benefited SG's economic success? It's usually the rich and successful business owners who smile. Take this scenario as an eg: HDB flat cost $300,000 more. A worker's pay increment is only 1-3% a year. Government gives out GST rebates of a few hundred $ a year as bonus. How does that work out to be beneficial overall? I rather they had taken more responsibility in managing public housing and don't give out whatever rebates to show as if we are enjoying the fruits of the country's economy.

Last edited:
No signs yet. And not that I have heard they will.

they did try with bringing in brazilians with japanese ethnicity sometime in the 90s, but that didn't work out too well.

will they try again - signs are they might be a softening of their stance. the survival of their economy depends on it.

they did try with bringing in brazilians with japanese ethnicity sometime in the 90s, but that didn't work out too well.

will they try again - signs are they might be a softening of their stance. the survival of their economy depends on it.

Yes, but their technological prowess has still been proven to be developed largely by their own talent pool over decades. What happens after this, such as whether they will admit more foreigners, is another new chapter.

But Singapore chose the quick way out. Import foreigners and give them PR/citizenship, scholarships, and sports representation. Not 100% wrong since we are small and don't have natural resources, but they should have planned it much better and allowed things to "fall into place" so that there would be minimal disruptions to the common citizens' lives.

I don't remember so much hatred and anti-government sentiments back in 2000-2005 or so. In the 80s and 90s, it was a lot better. There were many people who were much more "country proud". I didn't even bother following the general elections back then. Cos I knew the ruling party would sweep most of the seats, GE after GE. Only exception was Potong Pasir.

The fact that their popularity has dropped so much in recent years, plus so many angry sentiments expressed in forums and new blogs/websites, show the deep strains they have created among the commoners.

The reason why the MRT frequently breaks down is because it is running over it's design load. Simple engineering principles. Stress a system beyond its design limits and it will surely fail only a matter of time.

Stress the population with someone who is willing to work at 3/4 of pay while remitting of money into high-value foreign currency in their domestic homelands , while having no children to feed; see what stressed Singaporeans do. GE coming, make your voice heard.

True-blooded Singaporeans have all gone fishing ......or most of them have been eaten up by that lion that was last spotted by King Utama . :bsmilie:

Oh what I meant are those born here and not converted. I am born in KK ��

Dude,

I was born in Selangor in the 60s. My father's a Singaporean whose a traveling saleman from Singapre to Malaysia ( when Singapore still was part of Malaya) He met my mother in the 1950s, got married and lived for a while in KL stationed there by his company. Move back to Singapore where I did Primary 1. I did my National service in the Police force for 2.5 years. Did my reservist till I turn 40 about 12 years ago. I paid my taxes, gave CPF and work hard to get what I need to survive here.

So.. AM I A TRUE BLUE SINGAPOREAN in your eyes? How do you define True Blue?

Last edited:
Every time, I am on board the MRT, I find myself outnumbered at least 4 to 1 by FTs. Are you sure you got the most current data regarding our country's demographics, that is if I can still call it "our country"? :think:

Comrade, almost 40% of the population are foreigners. Still not enough? Still have doubt on the statistics?

Comrade, do you cross reference to the fertility and mortality rates at the same time? Like I said earlier, 3.3m Citizens are not purely local borned; almost 1m of them are foreigners converted Citizens. Our government is very smart in playing with statistics. They won't tell you exactly how many foreigners are converted to Citizens.