Popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohweekuan

May 6, 2004
North
Sony seems not to be as popular as Canon and Nikon.
What are your reason?? Cost or the technology?

The W1 seems so chio.
Good function and compact as well!

Pls comments. :)

Well, Sony does have her fair share of popularity actually. It's just that a lot of the discussion these days are on DSLRs, and the hottest players out there now are Canon and Nikon in this market segment.

imaginary_number said:
Well, Sony does have her fair share of popularity actually. It's just that a lot of the discussion these days are on DSLRs, and the hottest players out there now are Canon and Nikon in this market segment.

I see. So technology wise is the W1 Real Imaging Processor comparable to Canon Digic? Cause i wanted to decide on W1 or A80.
Thanks1 :)

Unfortunately I have never spent a cent on a Canon camera. I just can't bring myself to do it. After owning a few Sony cameras, Canon P&S are like plastic toys.

bernards said:
Unfortunately I have never spent a cent on a Canon camera. I just can't bring myself to do it. After owning a few Sony cameras, Canon P&S are like plastic toys.

:thumbsup: i think i see flames coming...

btw i do own a A80... but den again... dunno y... just felt abit cheated... :sweat:

but tat said, i think canon DSLR is still the way to go... since sony does not have DSLR... unless we use Carl Zeiss/Contax... mayb if Sony would come out with a COOL body & we could buy Carl Zeiss lens...

FANBOYS!!! :blah:

kohweekuan said:
I see. So technology wise is the W1 Real Imaging Processor comparable to Canon Digic? Cause i wanted to decide on W1 or A80.

Buy the W1. The A80 was good until the W1 came along. After I tested the W1, I knew straight in my mind that I must get it. Build quality is excellent too.

holeinone said:
Buy the W1. The A80 was good until the W1 came along. After I tested the W1, I knew straight in my mind that I must get it. Build quality is excellent too.

I personally like it's design and cost wise, thers's only a little difference.
But canon is the more reputable brand in digi cam.

Will it be limited by the lack of full manual compare to A80??
Cause A80 is a nice camera for a beginner and will be able to last as he learn more abt photography (ya, i'm new to photography) :D

bernards said:

I agree with that... :thumbsup:

kohweekuan said:
I personally like it's design and cost wise, thers's only a little difference.
But canon is the more reputable brand in digi cam.

Will it be limited by the lack of full manual compare to A80??
Cause A80 is a nice camera for a beginner and will be able to last as he learn more abt photography (ya, i'm new to photography) :D

There is a manual mode for the W1.

Judging by the range of products that Sony can put into the market and most of them being rated amongst the top, I have no doubts abt the reputation of Sony cams.

kohweekuan said:

Honestly, I would think that the difference is marginal and that you needn't be too concerned over that. What's more important are the features that you need/want in a camera e.g. zoom, MP, movie mode, etc.

I'm not sure of W1's performance but I'm pretty much convinced that the V1 is a much better performer than it's counterpart (G5) - in terms of auto-focus and noise level, that is.

yup, been to see both and i must admit both have their advantages.

it really boils down to 1's preferences.

thanks for the comments! :D

bernards said:

Can't wait for Sony to include Image stabilisation, 9 to 70 frame buffers, 12mm to 400mm lens with macro mode throughout whole range. :devil: :sweatsm: :sweat: :D

CYRN said:
Can't wait for Sony to include Image stabilisation, 9 to 70 frame buffers, 12mm to 400mm lens with macro mode throughout whole range. :devil: :sweatsm: :sweat: :D

You mean the Canon P&S has got all these? I am shocked. :what:

I don't have the time to teach you to read. Maybe you should do that yourself.

bernards said:
You mean the Canon P&S has got all these? I am shocked. :what:

I don't have the time to teach you to read. Maybe you should do that yourself.

pengz... i think he meant if Sony have a 'prosumer' cam like the olympus or tat minolta ones with image stabilizer... dun think canon have 1 yet... unless he say the DSLR/SLR lens... if P&S have such features... i think we all downgrade to P&S better... :sweatsm: :bsmilie: :blah:

bernards said:

Same here... after seeing the QC/usability/speed/image quality problems my friends faced with theirs (despite my recommending them to go for Sony or Nikon, "noooo Canon looks so cute!") I'd never buy CRAPanon. :)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
pengz... i think he meant if Sony have a 'prosumer' cam like the olympus or tat minolta ones with image stabilizer... dun think canon have 1 yet... unless he say the DSLR/SLR lens... if P&S have such features... i think we all downgrade to P&S better... :sweatsm: :bsmilie: :blah:

No doubt Canon makes some excellent DSLR cameras too. But that is not in the discussion. Again my brand of choice would be a Nikon over a Canon if I were choosing a DSLR at this moment.

If I misinterpreted anybody's post, sorry about it. Just back from a diving trip. Brain still not functioning well. :blah:

bernards said:
No doubt Canon makes some excellent DSLR cameras too. But that is not in the discussion. Again my brand of choice would be a Nikon over a Canon if I were choosing a DSLR at this moment.

If I misinterpreted anybody's post, sorry about it. Just back from a diving trip. Brain still not functioning well. :blah:

Thanks to Del_CtrlnoAlt for clarifying.

Actually, I'm not refering to any brand in patrticular.

It's my personal camera spec that are currently in thr market..... what I'm trying to say is that while sony is giving us a good cam (heck, I'm even think they produce all those CCD inside ALL digicams). They are holding back on some features that I think would make a camera "whole".

To conclude... F828 is solid cam... but I feel that at 200mm on the tele, it should have some form of stabilisation. Also, the cam is unable to "multi-task"... it can be an ire if you shoot RAW.

dementate said:
Same here... after seeing the QC/usability/speed/image quality problems my friends faced with theirs (despite my recommending them to go for Sony or Nikon, "noooo Canon looks so cute!") I'd never buy CRAPanon. :)

Same here... I have faced repeated QC problems with Canon and the servicing... from a believer to a doubter... soon..... :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.