Popular Prime Lens

i have the sigma24f1.8 and a canon50f1.4

i shoot indoors alot of the time so I use the 24 for group shots and the 50 for couple/head shots.

Do note that the sigma24 is very prone to very ugly flares and slow focus. but its Cheap for a 24f1.8 prime. i got it for 649sgd.

the canon 50f1.4 is more prone to pretty flares.

I see, so it did not specifically indicated its FX lens.

What's actually the differences between AF & AF-S

If you are using D5000, D3100, D3000, D60, D40 or D40x camera, should take note of the following:

AF or AF-D lens: only manual focus
AF-S lens: autofocus and manual focus

If you are using D5000, D3100, D3000, D60, D40 or D40x camera, should take note of the following:

AF or AF-D lens: only manual focus
AF-S lens: autofocus and manual focus

Huh? I thought AF stands for Auto Focus? If so, how can be manual focus only? I thought the Manual focus lenses in Nikkor catalogue these days are the Ai-S range??

Edit: oh... sorry, I just read you're refering to lower-end bodies... yeah, no motors to drive them..effectively making them pure manual focus...

Last edited:
Ya, if you buy D5000, D3100, D3000, D60, D40 or D40x camera, not many Nikon lens you can choose with if you only want autofocus instead of manual focus.

That mean AF-S stand for: Auto Focus Lens with Silent Wave.
Was worrying of getting lens that dun auto focus. Thanks all for the tips.

I dun like 50mm, find it tight even for a FF body.

I prefer 35mm. I used it for full body as well as half body.

I also prefer 135mm over 85mm for face and half body shots.

Dude if you did not notice, TS is using a D90. APS-C.

So 50mm is more like a short tele, 35mm is normal, 24 is like a wide normal. 85 or 105 are pretty much head and shoulders for APS-C bodies. 135 is very tight on a D90.

Dude if you did not notice, TS is using a D90. APS-C.

So 50mm is more like a short tele, 35mm is normal, 24 is like a wide normal. 85 or 105 are pretty much head and shoulders for APS-C bodies. 135 is very tight on a D90.

oops overlooked ;p

if on crop body... 35mm + 85mm is a good combo i find.

i have the sigma24f1.8 and a canon50f1.4

i shoot indoors alot of the time so I use the 24 for group shots and the 50 for couple/head shots.

Do note that the sigma24 is very prone to very ugly flares and slow focus. but its Cheap for a 24f1.8 prime. i got it for 649sgd.

the canon 50f1.4 is more prone to pretty flares.

You got it before the Sigma price hike? Lucky you.

I have the Nikon mount version of the Sigma 24/1.8. It uses the motor drive screw, so AF is quite fast. Mine is front focusing, and I have to adjust my AF micro adjustments to +20. Spot on so far after that. But I am still going to bring it down to Sigma SC to get it calibrated.

I really love this lens!