Pop Up Flash Diffuser

Status
Not open for further replies.

FVTPL

Nov 17, 2008
Hougang
I just bought a pop up flash diffuser from OP yesterday. Wanting to check to see if this is normal. My pop up flash diffuser is slightly yellowish as shown in the picture 1 & 2 below.

Picture 1:
3078866634_fa123329f0.jpg

Picture 2:
3078866970_0ffa094197.jpg

Picture 3 shows the effect with the diffuser.
3078040303_d3cc39971c.jpg

Picture 4 shows the effect without the diffuser, and all the other settings are constant.
3078040917_12130a3e54.jpg

Is this normal? Or should I go back to OP to change for another piece. :dunno:

Thanks!

Last edited:
please learn how to use img tags

to see how i did it, just quote the post. you are supposed to copy the smaller ONE LINE window instead of the entire html code box.

help you change.

Picture 1:
3078866634_fa123329f0.jpg

Picture 2:
3078866970_0ffa094197.jpg

Picture 3 shows the effect with the diffuser.
3078040303_d3cc39971c.jpg

Picture 4 shows the effect without the diffuser, and all the other settings are constant.
3078040917_12130a3e54.jpg

it is supposed to soften the flash am i right?

but how come it also causes a tint of yellowish?

it is supposed to soften the flash am i right?

but how come it also causes a tint of yellowish?

it also reduces the amount of flash light reaching subject

did you shoot this indoors, what sort of other light was in the room? this looks like a white balance issue to me

the cast is easily corrected

3078068939_a2709648f1_o.jpg

it also reduces the amount of flash light reaching subject

did you shoot this indoors, what sort of other light was in the room? this looks like a white balance issue to me

the cast is easily corrected

yes. I shot it indoors with no other source of light except my flash.

How did you correct it? I was also playing with the white balance and realise that if I shoot with "daylight" instead of "auto white balance", the effect will not be that bad.

am i right?

yes. I shot it indoors with no other source of light except my flash.

How did you correct it? I was also playing with the white balance and realise that if I shoot with "daylight" instead of "auto white balance", the effect will not be that bad.

am i right?

i used a cooling filter. about 14% in photoshop

if i were you, if you shot in raw, select the fan grilles as the white balance point.

when you shoot in auto and your flash is popped up if i am not wrong the camera will happily select this as flash wb. so if you have mixed light sources, you will end up with funny casts..

to give clearer example of what i mean, shot a few pics

in tungsten light with flash wb, no flash
3078924564_ef83325ac9_o.jpg

in tungsten light with flash wb, flash on
3078924420_5c489e5799_o.jpg

in tungsten light with flash wb, flash on but "diffused"
3078092599_b38c91cbf5_o.jpg

i too lazy to post up the one with auto wb, but flash on and diffused give roughly same cast

i used a cooling filter. about 14% in photoshop

if i were you, if you shot in raw, select the fan grilles as the white balance point.

when you shoot in auto and your flash is popped up if i am not wrong the camera will happily select this as flash wb. so if you have mixed light sources, you will end up with funny casts..

Thanks for your advice.

I did not shoot in auto. I shot in TV mode. I wanted to try the effect of the diffuser. And it showed that it is a little too yellowish.

So I was wondering if the filter is too "old", resulting in it turning yellow, thus causing my photos to be yellowish too.

Thanks for your advice.

I did not shoot in auto. I shot in TV mode. I wanted to try the effect of the diffuser. And it showed that it is a little too yellowish.

So I was wondering if the filter is too "old", resulting in it turning yellow, thus causing my photos to be yellowish too.

sorry, i meant auto wb.. :)

what you should worry about the diffuser is whether it is doing its job. it is supposed to soften shadows.

here is an excerpt from a magazine demonstrating what i mean

3078127951_4c364639f2_o.jpg

pardon the poor quality, but it's late over here.. :confused: too lazy to reshoot it again

Depends on what materials are used to make the diffuser.

A WHITE diffusion material tends to have a WARMER cast.

Now with adjustable and customizable WB, that's not an issue anymore (assuming you won't be using several light sources and balancing ratios as well as color temps anytime soon).

thanks for all your replies! I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.