Poor student shouted hysterically to himself at Hougang MRT station today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
I was rushing to town for an appointment this afternoon (Wed) at 5.20pm, and whilst I walked into Hougang MRT station, 50m away from the gantries, I heard very loud shouts (not of a child but a male teenager). As I walked down the escalator to the platform, I saw this upper secondary student (Judging by his long pants; I shall refrain from revealing his school) standing beside the escalator, pulling his own hairs with both hands and shouting to himself at the top of his voice, very very loudly! People in the station was stunned by him, and I saw several MRT station operators going towards him, and at that point I boarded the train, and didn't see what happen after that.

But it makes me think, these days what makes students/teenagers so stressed, that they can snapped just like that? It's so sad. :(

Bluestrike said:
they shooting a film?

Nah, didn't see any camera man or lighting around. Hougang MRT platform is rather dim.

kids nowaday face alot of problems..
BGR, parents, peers, sch work, identity crisis, sexual, financial issues...

well i guess its jus spore :)

Dun think its 'just Singapore'.

More like 'just the world'. What's happening here is not 'uniquely Singapore'. The world's a vast place.

Well really counsellors can't do much. It's the parents that have to do the work.

It is very sad to see or even know of someone in some sort of pain such as that, for what ever reason.

He may also have suffered a loss of someone.

I hope he was taken care of.

New season of Gotcha!

behyx said:
Nah, didn't see any camera man or lighting around. Hougang MRT platform is rather dim.

shojibake said:
Well really counsellors can't do much. It's the parents that have to do the work.

Too many parents hold down too much responsibilities other than their own children.
As a somewhat parent, I felt the school should help out too. Cause children spent the most time in school, and usually there is where they would interact socially as well.

Unforunately, i have to say i am not getting enough support from the school. ;(

Actually shouting helps to relieve the stress. It's those who suffer silently that we should be aware of.

Newman said:
Actually shouting helps to relieve the stress. It's those who suffer silently that we should be aware of.
I agree

Nisa said:
Too many parents hold down too much responsibilities other than their own children.
As a somewhat parent, I felt the school should help out too. Cause children spent the most time in school, and usually there is where they would interact socially as well.

Unforunately, i have to say i am not getting enough support from the school. ;(

I think you'd have to be pretty brave to leave the school to raise your child for you. The teachers have 30 other students to look after, how much time do they have to get to know your kid and solve his problems?:dunno: If they do a good job teaching the academic stuff I'll be grateful already.

Ultimately its the parents' responsibility.

Yeah man sad case.

More or less made up my mind to leave SG once i hit about 50+ and my children are working. Perhaps give them one lump sump.

Going to Indonesia (prob Batam) to relac. Take ferry back quite fast lar, so not too bad. I forsee SG to be quite unliveable for retirees, unless you have like half a mil to see the both of you through, which is not exactly possible even with downgrading the flat. Either that or have at least 3 children as they will have to support you, but then that means more stress now. Catch-22.

But need to slave so hard with 2 jobs for now to save enough!

Just calculate, for makan alone, 1 person 25 years, you need like 100K. Just do some math. 2 persons = 200k. How about lights, clothing, utilities (lights, water, gas), entertainment, medical expenses (and it won't be so simple/infrequent as a $23 GP visit once every 3 months)?

gryphon said:
Is he wearing a bluetooth earpiece? :rolleyes:

this is one reason i never use bluetooth. sometimes mistaken ppl for unsound person.:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

dkw:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

if ppl think being a teacher is easy, long holiday etc etc..... you're WRONG!!!!.

a typical teacher leave the house at 6.00. reaching school early to received pupils(weekly duty) and school assembly.

start teaching in the 7am morning till around 1pm. sometimes have only 1/2 hr break in between. then afternoon go for school meetings, level meetings, subject meetings for an hour or two or so. then the teacher proceeds with remedial classes or extra-curriculum activities(eca). then do some markings of pupils work. sometimes have to do some administration work like planning for eca etc.

then the teacher leaves the school for home around 7pm. reaching home around 7.30pm the earliest. have dinner and do a bit of house work. take care of his/her children till around 10pm(estimate time children should sleep).

after that the teacher will start planning what to teach for the next day or so. sometimes the teacher will mark worksheets, setting papers etc. probably end only around 12am or so. spend a bit of time relaxing then sleep at 1am.

and the rountine continues at 5am to wake up and get ready for school the next day. things get harder during exam periods.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK? SHOULD THE RESPONSIBILITY LIES ON THE TEACHERS TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN CHILDREN?

be realistic la. teachers' also must have their own life. why blame them? blame the education systems? blame the government? OR BLAME UR SELF as parents?:dunno: :dunno:

btw i'm not a teacher but i know it very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.