Poor service from Nikon Service Center

fujix10user

Aug 21, 2013
Singapore
hello guys,
iam posting my recent experience with the nikon service center and would like to have your inputs on this, as i don't know how to go about this.

my nikon d750 switched off suddenly in the middle of the shoot and would not power on. i went to the service center for repair and was quoted $677 for various replacements. i have agreed to the quote and asked them to proceed. they again found that the sensor had a small stain mark in one corner and can only be replaced and quoted me $750 on top of the earlier charge.

i looked at my photos before the fault happened and did not found any dust or stain on the sensor. i brought it to them by sending the photo. they also agreed that the photo did not have the stain and but pushed the fault at me by saying the dust could have been sucked to the sensor when travelling on the plane ( i was returning from overseas).i found this reasoning being far fetched and would beleive that this stain has happened at the service center.

can anyone please advise how to handle this issue.

That's ridiculous! with the cap on the body , how on earth did a big steak of dust fell on the sensor? and also didn't the technician checked properly and agreed beforehand the price already? then after that come back with a higher price? that is definitely the problem with their handling already after you left! what kind of ethics is this!? and also just clean the sensor from 677 to 750?
I remember I bought my Dslr to clean sensor twice and they only charge me 26 dollars for per sensor cleaning! So How on earth is your sensor damaged when your picture turns out flawless!? or what stain is too big that it cost a lot to remove? if the stain is too big, wouldn't it affect your photos already? but it dint..
Maybe you can try to list your problems and tag Nikon Singapore in facebook page and set to public for all to see? or maybe bring to CASE or bring the issue up to Nikon japan HQ I not sure though...I have a few Nikon bodies but this really pisses me off. It seems that after warranty, they don't seems to care about customer concerns and just charged astronomical price for repairs. now I pray that my Nikon cameras will not have problems since warranty is over

Last edited:
Nikon going to replace your sensor with a small stain mark? Can't it be clean? FYI, I did my sensor cleaning for my DF in Oct for only $32.10 (Inclusive of GST).

they again found that the sensor had a small stain mark in one corner and can only be replaced and quoted me $750 on top of the earlier charge.

Hi,i also face the bad service from nikon service center. last 4years ago,i have LCD screen problems with my nikon d5300.so i send the nikon service center.they quoted me S$600+.so i think too expensive for replace just LCD screen , because the online market selling the body around S$700.so my friend ask me to find another repair shop , that locate at sunshine plaza, camera hospital. it charge me just S$200. after that i change to full frame nikon D750. i have a service recall one year later.so i send the nikon service center . so i got new shutter replace free of charge . but one year later i got one problem again ,that is some horizontal line on some images. so i send it again to the service center again . that time they said need to replace sensor and light box . so they quoted s$1000+ and labour charge S$170 . so funny .this nikon D750 have a lot problems from starting and till now .so i have suspect with nikon service center, they doing business by this way. so what we should do, throw all the nikon ? we already bought a lot from nikon .

hi all,
i got the reply from nikon as follows

"
As per my investigation, your camera was sent in as it cannot be powered on.

Without replacing the necessary parts, we are not able to check on your image sensor as well as other aspect of your camera.
As part of our operating procedure, we will check on your image sensor for any scratch/stain or foreign particles that will affect your images.
It is our responsibility to inform customer if any, of such cases occur.

Therefore, immediately after our technician discovered the particle in between the sensor after powering up your camera, we sounded it out to you.

Though Nikon is not able to cover you the image sensor fully, we would like to offer you a 50% off the image sensor, if you would like to get it replaced.

Otherwise, if you do not wish to get the image replaced, we can extend another 10% on your repair charge regardless whether you took up the image sensor offer.
"

Do you guys think i should take the 10% discount on my existing repair charge and accept the sensor as it is or should i pursue with the Nikon japan

hi all,
i got the reply from nikon as follows

"
As per my investigation, your camera was sent in as it cannot be powered on.

Without replacing the necessary parts, we are not able to check on your image sensor as well as other aspect of your camera.
As part of our operating procedure, we will check on your image sensor for any scratch/stain or foreign particles that will affect your images.
It is our responsibility to inform customer if any, of such cases occur.

Therefore, immediately after our technician discovered the particle in between the sensor after powering up your camera, we sounded it out to you.

Though Nikon is not able to cover you the image sensor fully, we would like to offer you a 50% off the image sensor, if you would like to get it replaced.

Otherwise, if you do not wish to get the image replaced, we can extend another 10% on your repair charge regardless whether you took up the image sensor offer.
"

Do you guys think i should take the 10% discount on my existing repair charge and accept the sensor as it is or should i pursue with the Nikon japan

hello guys,
iam posting my recent experience with the nikon service center and would like to have your inputs on this, as i don't know how to go about this.

my nikon d750 switched off suddenly in the middle of the shoot and would not power on. i went to the service center for repair and was quoted $677 for various replacements. i have agreed to the quote and asked them to proceed. they again found that the sensor had a small stain mark in one corner and can only be replaced and quoted me $750 on top of the earlier charge.

i looked at my photos before the fault happened and did not found any dust or stain on the sensor. i brought it to them by sending the photo. they also agreed that the photo did not have the stain and but pushed the fault at me by saying the dust could have been sucked to the sensor when travelling on the plane ( i was returning from overseas).i found this reasoning being far fetched and would beleive that this stain has happened at the service center.

can anyone please advise how to handle this issue.

hi, are u the same person using multiple accounts?

To help, you may choose to take up the 10% since that is afterall you original objective. Pursuing with Nikon Japan will likely have this pushed back to local Nikon since the service ctrs operate locally.