Poor sales ethics (not related to photography)

Limsgp

Dec 16, 2005
Singapore, Bedok
Just ranting to let off some steam.. and maybe create awareness about some company's sale ethics/product quality. A local brand..

Recently I bought a gas hob. Out of the box, the hob is defective. I requested for a 1-to-1 exchange but the sales person refused. Instead, a technician was sent to service the hob. After servicing, the hob is usable. However, I'm upset that a brand new item from such a "reputable brand" has to be "serviced" to be usable. Doesn't the company do any QC check? And the fact that the company refused to do a 1-to-1 exchange for a defective product "out of the box" certainty made me lost all confident in its products. We can understand that QC check may not be 100%, but the least the company can do in it's good name is to do a 1-to-1 exchange.

And the poor attitude from the sales persons(slamming down the phone when I insisted an exchange instead of repair) further convinced me that the company cannot be trusted for good products and services. I would certainty not buy another product from that company again, and warn my friends against such a brand.

Just wondering what is other's views of such sales ethics.. refusing 1-to-1 exchange for defective out-of-the-box products. The brand name is temporarily withheld....

name names lah.

Not many local brands I guess.. should be easy to guess.. but not sure if it is common market practice to refuse 1-to-1 exchange for gas hobs..

Also..not sure if there's any legal implications if I let out the brand name? wait the company sue how........? can they sue?

simi company? :think:

Maybe they could be more accomodating, e.g. "Let us have a look at it first, if the problem cannot be fixed on the spot, we can give you a 1-1 exchange."

Sometimes, it's just a miscommunication. Take it easy.

Same thing goes for cameras. When I purchased a camera from one shop, and I went back to them with a problem (that wasn't really a manufacturing problem, but I thought it was) and asked for a replacement, they looked at it first, and then fixed it quickly before giving it back to me. A friend of mine had a dusty camera (probably due to improper storage when shipping) that they replaced happily on the spot.

First of all, I ordered a set with Safety Valve, but they send a set w/o safety valve but with "SV" (for safety valve) printed on the box and on the product itself.

Then, they send a replacement for the base instead of the whole set. And the replacement set has a burner that cannot sustain the fire (fire goes off when knob released).

I asked for 1-to-1 exchange but they refuse and instead send a serviceman to repair it. So he did some adjustments, bend some fixtures, REPLACED A COMPONENT, APPLIED MASKING TAPE etc.. to get the hob to be usable..

So now I'm stuck with a repaired "brand new" Hob..

Given that the company could be so negligent to have left out a safety valve on a safety valve model, and with a burner that doesn't burn properly out of the box, I have serious doubts about the safety and reliability of the gas hob that is running on piped gas..

So much for a "reputable" local brand....... a regrettable decision.. :(

First of all, I ordered a set with Safety Valve, but they send a set w/o safety valve but with "SV" (for safety valve) printed on the box and on the product itself.

Then, they send a replacement for the base instead of the whole set. And the replacement set has a burner that cannot sustain the fire (fire goes off when knob released).

I asked for 1-to-1 exchange but they refuse and instead send a serviceman to repair it. So he did some adjustments, bend some fixtures, REPLACED A COMPONENT, APPLIED MASKING TAPE etc.. to get the hob to be usable..

So now I'm stuck with a repaired "brand new" Hob..

Given that the company could be so negligent to have left out a safety valve on a safety valve model, and with a burner that doesn't burn properly out of the box, I have serious doubts about the safety and reliability of the gas hob that is running on piped gas..

So much for a "reputable" local brand....... a regrettable decision.. :(
Seems like QC was indeed lacking at the place of manufacture.

However I would like to point out that it isn't every company's policy to offer 1-to-1 exchange for faulty items.
The saleman probably could have communicated this to you in a more tactful manner.

For things like gas hob.. usually payment is made before the item can be used or tested.

E.g.. payment on delivery. Then installation on counter top, turn on gas supply & gas connection by PUB etc.. usually a few days later. Only when gas supply is turned on then can check when it is working properly, by then payment has long been made. Unlike electrical products where user can test on the spot.

Anyway, I have prior experience with my Sharp LCD TV from Best Denki. After a few days I noticed some defects on the screen. I called BD and the sharp serviceman checked and concluded that 1 component is faulty. It can be easily repaired by replacing that component. I requested to Best Denki for 1-to-1 exchange since it is new. Once verified that the unit is indeed defective, Best Denki arranged for replacement. No questions asked.

That, is professional service with good sales ethic.. unlike that gas hob company..

That, is professional service with good sales ethic.. unlike that gas hob company..

Ok, they have a 1-1 exchange policy...

Btw, if you look at receipts from Sim Lim Square shops, a lot have the line "Not Refundable OR Exchangeable". Fyi, please.

Seems like QC was indeed lacking at the place of manufacture.

However I would like to point out that it isn't every company's policy to offer 1-to-1 exchange for faulty items.

That was a painful lesson learnt indeed..

Got to learn to ask before buying next time.....

But it is very disappointing that a "reputable" local brand could have this kind of defect or oversight or negligence.. and it's an equipment meant for operating highly dangerous medium like natural gas. The lack of QC is worrying.

Now, I'll just hv to learn to avoid that brand..

Ok, they have a 1-1 exchange policy...

Btw, if you look at receipts from Sim Lim Square shops, a lot have the line "Not Refundable OR Exchangeable". Fyi, please.

A lot of those HDB shops have that policy too.. but usually if you bought back a defective item that is newly bought, they'll gladly do an exchange. Some even allow exchange for wrong size.

Not refundable in terms of cash, yes. Not exchangeable because you want a different colour, design etc.. yes. But, for defective items, it's the seller's obligation to sell a non-defective item to a customer. The consumer has a right to reject defective items, because when they buy, they're under the impression that item is not defective. Unless the buyer is fore-warned that item may potentially have defects (e.g. 2nd hand items).. then it is up to buyer whether to take the risk.

For my case, I will definitely not accept a defect but later repaired brand new good. Especially when you mentioned bent of metal and taping to make the gas hob usable. If you have not use the hob, you still can try demand a replacement, given you paid for a brand new hob, but now you received a partially defect and repaired hob. Have you tried talk to another sales or his manager?

I once bought this bed room set from courts, they screwed up the delivery date, I went down to the shop and to talk fact with them and they compensated me close to 10% of courts voucher on the value of the item I purchased and loaned me their display set. Not finish yet, when they delivered me the furniture, I found defects and they made 3 more rounds of 1-1 exchange until I am satisfied.

Last edited:
Not refundable in terms of cash, yes. Not exchangeable because you want a different colour, design etc.. yes. But, for defective items, it's the seller's obligation to sell a non-defective item to a customer. The consumer has a right to reject defective items, because when they buy, they're under the impression that item is not defective. Unless the buyer is fore-warned that item may potentially have defects (e.g. 2nd hand items).. then it is up to buyer whether to take the risk.

I think there are also issues such as potential abuse of the policy, since there are times where by your same logic, benefit of doubt has to be given. For example, if I bought a glass item, and I went home and discovered a crack... Obviously in the salesman's mind, I might very well have dropped it accidentally myself, and am trying to pull a fast one.

That said, I'm speaking generally and not talking about your case. Firstly, I have little or no knowledge about gas hobs, etc.

Maybe you could try to take it up with a higher level person. After all, the person on the phone might be just having a bad day. You could request to speak to his manager, send feedback through email, or just find out the name of someone important and drop a letter through the mail to them.. Maybe it won't reach whoever you are intending to reach, but it'll get you somewhere most of the time. :)

Nevertheless, if it is indeed a company policy, I'm afraid there's nothing you can do beyond just plain feedback.

Nevertheless, if it is indeed a company policy, I'm afraid there's nothing you can do beyond just plain feedback.

yup..

Also, we could warn others of these "no tech" company with lousy QC and poor after sales customer service.. and create some awareness..

Don't think any Hob manufacturer will replaced the top part as there is no functional defect, unless you spot the defect during delivery.

I have my base replaced because of the wrong type, should be for LGP cylinder type instead of PUB gas type.

Hope they do not replaced the wrong type and try to make it work, it's just not design for that.

Don't think any Hob manufacturer will replaced the top part as there is no functional defect, unless you spot the defect during delivery.

I have my base replaced because of the wrong type, should be for LGP cylinder type instead of PUB gas type.

Hope they do not replaced the wrong type and try to make it work, it's just not design for that.

could it be the same manufacturer....? so screw up.....

For my case, I just happened to notice the missing SV bcoz I bought 1 Hob for my mother and there is the Safety Valve and so I know how it looks like. For those who is not aware, they could be using the hob with the mistaken belief that a safety device is in place when it isn't. Very irresponsible manufacturer. Heard from the technician himself that "they can't possibly check every piece to ensure that it is assembled correctly".. what BS.. this certainty tells a lot about this "no tec" company's ethic..

They're just messing around with other people's safety.

Any when I complained about the fire going off, they came up with all kind of excuses that hob with safety valve are more difficult to use kind of BS.

btw, my mother's hob, from ellane, works swee swee from the box. no need adjustment, just plug and use. And it has safety valve too.. minus the nonsenses from the "no tec" hob.. So it's just rubbish that SV hob are difficult to use.

i just changed my hob. went to a neighborhood shop to look see look see. spoke to the boss and after some intro to this jap brand, i kind of almost firm on the model. as i dont have the cut out dimension of table top, i asked for his namecard. reached home, i called the boss (after confirmation of dimension) to confirm my purchase. i asked him of the dep and was really surprised that he asked me to pay once the hob has been installed.

i guess your case is really straight forward, if faulty out of the box, then u have the right for 1-1 exchange.