Poor newbie / photographer come in share yr thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

S11loop

Feb 11, 2005
Pasir Ris
Whats yr common problem for those newbie/photographer who is poor and really love to shoot as much as his own life? How do u find ways to improve yr shots and ways to help u level up more faster ? Whats yr problem in photography (refering to those who are poor) .

Think this thread might be quiet since most people here are quite rich with really gd equipment in the beginning to help them improve faster .

Hiaz just wondering when will i own my first DSLR :(

really envy those newbie who can own those DSLR .
does learning the hardway really help ? :dunno:
Just discuss whatever u like regarding the above topic.
:cry:

A good photo is one with creativity, good Composition and lighting that brings out the photographer/subject's messages to the viewers.

Expensive equipments do help to enhance the photo but not the photographer skill. It must not be the barrier to master the fundamental of photography.

DSLR does help to speed up the learning curve but it also might make newbie photographer to shoot blindly as no film is wasted.

“Learning the hard way” does not necessary associate with film user only.

I am a digital shooter but since day one, I have not stop reading books and getting information from Internet to improve.

Instead of wasting time envy other’s gear. I rather spend time on envy other’s works and find out how to shoot (in term of skill) like them.

It's more on the photographer's attitude in improving rather than the equipments

Just my two cents

so since day 1 u are already a digital user? financially speaking u wont be able to understand a full time flim user ... technically hmm... wasting time ? this was damn funny !

since the above topic was to get more idea to help poor photographer like me to look for more ways to improve i do hope people who went tru that initial stage share yr point and experience

IMHO, i think its better to start off with a DC camera. I was a sony F707 user and i think it served me very well... Firstly, it has 5X zoom.. hmm.. equivalent to 200mm zoom? i cant afford a len that is that has a range of 28 - 200mm in f2.0 -2.2... most of us here know it will cost a bomb.. Under low light or even super dark situation, sony has a nightshoot mode which helps you excellent photo you never think possible with a DSLR or SLR as you cant guage what's in your viewfinder..

The down side of DC is high noise at high ISO, you cant really shoot above ISO400 on DC as it be super noisy however, you have your aperture to compensate this.. I find it more or less figuring it out to use your aperture to shutter speed whichever allows, to make up for this..

Uppzzz for you S11loop.. :gbounce: :gbounce:
There's always way to compensate the limitation in DC.. Tripod? External Flash? Lens extenstion?

If on a budget, get a m42 system.
u will be surprise by the quality of the cheap lenses.
esp the takumars. just get a 50/1.4.
and since its a manual cam, trains u to do whatever stuff u need manually. better still u get a spoilt cam with no metering. then learn the sunny 16 rule.
think the total setup is less than 200.
then shoot black and white and learn to see how to link shapes and see patterns.

i started with that before i got my DS.

S11loop said:
so since day 1 u are already a digital user? financially speaking u wont be able to understand a full time flim user ... technically hmm... wasting time ? this was damn funny !

since the above topic was to get more idea to help poor photographer like me to look for more ways to improve i do hope people who went tru that initial stage share yr point and experience

I shoot film last time using my Dad's camera. I said I am a digital user since day one because that was the first camera I paid on my own.

That does not mean I don't know how to shoot film. Anyway , I am considerating to get a film body soon as my lens are compatible to digital and film.

"wasting time ? this was damn funny !"

What I mean was don't compare with what others have. A lot of experience photographers shooting for more than 10 years are still using a nomal film camera.

"financially speaking u wont be able to understand a full time flim user "

I do understand. I ever shoot in Aust and NZ during a holiday trip and each time I go , I shoot more than 30 rolls of FILMS.

Hope I have clarify any misunderstanding here and sorry if I happen to offend you in any way.

Thank you :)

My other P&S camera is Fuji S5000. It has 10x optical zoom, got those WB & ISO and stuff, feels a bit like SLR, control like Nikon, cost me $700+, can use filter, got hood, there is no hotshoe (but got flash EV) but basically it is not too expensive and can give you some touchy feely for real SLR when you decide to upgrade. The color is good too. Its not as good as S7000 but still great.

S11loop said:
Whats yr common problem for those newbie/photographer who is poor and really love to shoot as much as his own life? How do u find ways to improve yr shots and ways to help u level up more faster ? Whats yr problem in photography (refering to those who are poor) .

Think this thread might be quiet since most people here are quite rich with really gd equipment in the beginning to help them improve faster .

Just discuss whatever u like regarding the above topic.
:cry:

First, I would think this topic will be hot (you will be surprised).

Second, what is poor when you have the camera (be it sensor or film inside to capture the image). For Digital camera you already paid the main cost (that is the body itself). For film it is pretty cheap (shoot slides which probably cost only $7.50 when you buy 2nd hand slides at $3 and process at Ruby for $4.50 w/o mount).

Third, why is there a problem of shooting as much as his own life? Depending on each individual, you can either shoot 10 rolls (36 exposures per roll) or even 0 frame. The idea is to work within what you have. No I am not rich and I think I am very fortunate at my situation that I am indeed poor and have to sell my 2 lens (the 100/2.0 USM and 70-200/4.0L) so I can pay for my other stuff. Being poor (or perharps not able to afford) pretty much build my style, way of shooting and think more before you press that shutter. Those who met me personally knows that I shoot very few frames per outing, probably about 8-12 on average (although most cannot make it by my standard).

Fourth, to level up faster, go out and learn from people. Go out more and visualise more. See the people using DSLR and see the outcome from their DSLR/digital cameras. To take good pictures, you must know what you want:

1. Know your equipment (Body ability, lens contrast, DOF, tripod)
2. Know what you need (filters, reflectors etc)
3. Know the timing (sunset, sunrise)
4. Know the weather
5. Know the location
6. Know the potential of your subject matter
7. Know the film (if you are film user)
8. And many more before you press that shutter release which my 2 years old niece also know

Fifth, I wonder why you envy those DSLR owners. Does the DSLR allow you to take better and more amazing pictures? Or when you took a nice picture you want to have that bragging rights to show it off online? If it is the former, good luck to you and have a nice day. If it is the latter, yes you have come to the right place. CS is also a place for newbies (like me) to try showing off the pictures and get bashed or get you floating.

End of the day, I spent more of my time reading up and doing research than taking photos simply because pressing the shutter is too easy, even my 2 years old niece know. What she do not know is the timing, the bus to the location, what can be shot, what film at what time to use is prefered etc.

S11loop said:

you know... some fundamental is interesting in your topic...

having a dslr doesn make a person rich...
in fact, i would say a film user even richer...

i shot films for about say... 10 yrs? a roll of 36 colour film + processing would cost ~$13-$14, and assume i take 30 rolls of film/yr, that would add up to $3900 spent... :bsmilie: a 20D dun even cost that amount...

and like darkforce mentioned, having good eq dun make you improve faster, it gives u more flexibility, but 1stly the person has to know what he's doing, if a person thinks having a dslr makes him a better photog.. hoho.. he is soooo wrong.. end up he might just be a trigger happy person and always take normal shots and not knowing why also... =)

and yes... learning the hardway actually is better imho, cos you will cherish e lessons more...

I'm one of the poorer ones around.

I think there's not a necessity for DSLRs in learning and photography, one can do just as well using a digital camera and/or SLR. At least you have something to worry - come out with better shots than what DSLRs can do.

Don't worry too much, just shoot. :)

come'on this is plain banal.
stop contempting and drooling over e hardware.
go think about making ya shots count. that'll save ya bucks for e bang.
like everyone says.

I'm a film user.
still a film user. happily a film user.
because I can't afford a DSLR.
but hey, I'm still happy

go make ya shot count dude.

Photography is not just about thinking of ways to take a good picture. It is also thinking of how to get the money to buy yourself better equipments. I don't believe in those talks of getting better equipments won't make you a better photographer. Getting better equipments would definitely make you a better photographer because at the end of the day, you will still be judged by what kind of pictures you can produce. Being a perfectionist, it will mean that a good photographer can take all kinds of pictures in all kinds of situations for all kinds of people. That is a good photographer and that requires good equipments. Hence, spend your time thinking of getting money instead of getting good pictures won't be time wasted. Don't listen to my crap......ha ha ha.

Firstly you dont need A DSLR, Film stuff can do equally good jobs. Depending on the film. I used to use an EOS 300 with a 50 1.8 a setup costing under erm.. 350? and i did many exhibitions using that setup. I have since upgraded but I still dont have any digital cameras.

I am super poor and photography has drained me. Really i am! So its all about working around the equipment you have. you can even buy at mju 2 and take superb photos! is a foolproof camera! But i reckon you would want to develop your own style, dont fall into the common trap of taking standard photos.. So get a simple setup and shoot away

Equipment envy shoudent be an issue, its an issue of who can take better photos. I know some photographers using really costly equipment and still produce normal looking photos.

In the good old days, photos were superb but the equipment was still very basic.

And film is cheap la!
unless you shoot like a nutcase!
Film makes you think about every shot before shooting, in my opinion better on the learning process.

the learning curve is greater with a digital as you can shoot and immediately see what went wrong and how to adjust. Where as with film you have to wait a couple of days or even longer to see the results, and unless you write what the settings of each paticular shot you forget. I sugest going to the local library and checking out books on photography and reading, write notes and start taking a notebook out with you when shooting. I haven't gone digital myself as I haven't been able to afford it.

Harlow just wanna get back to the main topic that started this thread.
I'm also a poor chap same as u so hope to share abit.

S11loop said:
Whats yr common problem for those newbie/photographer who is poor and really love to shoot as much as his own life?

Well not to say i'll like photograph as much as my own life but its just my hobby and passion. Common problems will be how to start, where to look for info etc. For my case, I started out with reference books on basic photography and to understand how a camera works(i.e. how the shutter, aperture etc works), what are the function of each options on the dial. Come to this you have to decide on what types of camera (Digital/film) ...for my case i choose digital cos its much cheaper and able to see the results fast lah.

S11loop said:
How do u find ways to improve yr shots and ways to help u level up more faster ? Whats yr problem in photography (refering to those who are poor) .

Then upon knowing the basics, try to shoot some pictures (good or bad oso nevermind) the main idea is to learn to compose, framing etc. cos digital oso FOC 1 mah. then compare ur photo with others (either in this forum or from books/websites) to see how your picture different from others. Good to have frens that are photog so that can help u analyse. Just practice more n improve. Conclusion is to practice more(shooting with theories in mind), discuss more (on the photo) and learn. The things mentioned do not takes up much $$ hope it helps.

Although u do not have a DSLR, doesn't mean u r not a good photog. Its the "EYE", "TIMING", "GEOGRAPHGY"and the "SUBJECT" that matters most in photography.

Just 2 cents worth from a newbie :bsmilie:

i use film camera, i like film camera, n i will standby film slr camera until the day i can find no shop processing the shots i have taken.

one thing i notice abt my wife using digital camera, is she tends to be trigger happy, see a place she likes n she will fire it alway with her cam.

for me, cause i am not rich, i tend to walk around n see a pics to take n take my time to shoot my photos, and at the end of the day when i develop my photos n its horribly wrong or ugly , i will bang my head :mad2: , but hey, thats how i learn. :gbounce:

The Eye and the Setting are very important.Prosumer and normal digicams can produce great shots if you know how to bring them to their limit.Don't spend to much money on a DSLR now, try your eye and picture composition first.Get your style right and then when you move up, the chances of finding out that you've blown unnecessary money is not there.

It's about the pictures, not the cam too.

Check out my gallery..it's all prosumer.Not a single DSLR.

The way i see it, film forces you to learn, you stop, you think, you compose then you shoot. yup with digital you become trigger happy. You can be trigger happy with film cams but thats not very wise $$$

Also think about it this way
for $300 bucks you can get a realtively decent Film SLR or you can get a crap compact digital (2 MP)

For $1.5K You can get a pro level film SLR (canon 1V) or you can get a crap second hand DSLR (EOS 300D)

For $4-5000 you can get like a secondhand pro level DSLR 1D or a 20D + lens
or you can get a nice MF camera ie mamiya's or hassys with a lens and an epson film scanner. Or you can get a Linhof 4x5 with lens and an epson film scanner

which gives you 45 and like 100 mega pixles respectively!

in my opnion the day film slrs and dslrs are prices realtively equally, thats the day to go fully digital, or if the price of digital backs drop to the rock bottom. that would be the day!

Film rocks its more fun anwyas

LazerLordz said:
The Eye and the Setting are very important.Prosumer and normal digicams can produce great shots if you know how to bring them to their limit.Don't spend to much money on a DSLR now, try your eye and picture composition first.Get your style right and then when you move up, the chances of finding out that you've blown unnecessary money is not there.

It's about the pictures, not the cam too.

Check out my gallery..it's all prosumer.Not a single DSLR.

haha yup yup he's right! Of course having a DSLR is great...but it doesnt mean you need a dslr to take pictures and learn. Been learning with my a70 for past 1 yr+, can take a look at my gallery if u want...all taken with a70...not even considered a prosumer by any standards. :)

Best way to learn would be to go library borrow books, learn bout composition, aesthetics of a photograph, exposure etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.