Poor newbie / photographer come in share yr thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
kiumjoon said:
you can always request for "no colour correction" when you send your film to the lab. This will also prevent having different prints from printing at different places.

hey S11loop~..its not that bad to be poor when you are into photography. Esp when u are a film user, you will really treasure your shots more. meaning, you will spend more time calculating your exposure settings, composing and etc..and at the end of the day when u collect your prints if you are satisfied, the feeling is wonderful. no doubt digi cam can yield similar results...but its even more satisfying than getting a good printout from digicam. you know that your effort is paid off.

agree on that , the satisfaction i get from my flim compare to my digital PnS is totally different !

zhuozehai said:
i notice something that really amuse me. often in photography forums, when anyone talk about film and digital, there would be a war of words. but everything seems fine on this thread. Or maybe it haven't start yet. haha

lets hope i will never start again , digital or flim it all came other photography and we all fall in love with the same interest why should there be war ? instead we should unite

reason for this thread is to get idea to help people like me on maybe a better way to finance ? this afternoon was talking to one of my PG friend she told me that can try to sell some of the photo and see of anyone offer to buy think thats a great idea but provided standard must be gd la hahaha for me its not possible for now ;p

read it thrice,
n i still don't get what many pple's replies r about.

in no line did i see s11 saying dslr is better,
or did he say anything about better gear=better pic.

s11,
i m a poor photog as well,
though i hv my boss to thank for my modestly ex gear.
n i must say, better cam=better pic.
maybe my same cam in another hand will give better pic
but compared to my lousier gear, it gave me better pic.
don't listen to those BS that pinhole cam also good enough,
we r not rich enough to buy cheap things.
get the best u can afford time round.

well, if u think u r a careful person,
as and when i can,
u can borrow my eos3 with a walkaround lens.
just PM me, ok?

:)

kiumjoon said:
you can always request for "no colour correction" when you send your film to the lab. This will also prevent having different prints from printing at different places.

hey S11loop~..its not that bad to be poor when you are into photography. Esp when u are a film user, you will really treasure your shots more. meaning, you will spend more time calculating your exposure settings, composing and etc..and at the end of the day when u collect your prints if you are satisfied, the feeling is wonderful. no doubt digi cam can yield similar results...but its even more satisfying than getting a good printout from digicam. you know that your effort is paid off.
there is no such thing as no colour correction for film(negative).
colour filters r added(digital or physical) to get the colours back on film.

one lab might be more saturated n contrasty to another,
but its due to the printer(machine n technician).

so going to different lab to get the same print?
tough.
have u tried same sets of prints from 2 labs,
ur method and get the same?
will be interested to know if u do.

zhuozehai said:
i notice something that really amuse me. often in photography forums, when anyone talk about film and digital, there would be a war of words. but everything seems fine on this thread. Or maybe it haven't start yet. haha

I value experience and opinions. It may be opposite of what I believe and this is good because it means I may not be right (or stuck in the same mindset) and a different POV is refreshing. But basically, its all up to the individual because each of us value something differently. The benefit goes to the open-minded individuals.

Hi S11loop,

As in any kind of hobby, the more talent, resource (money), effort and time you have and put in it, the better you are.

IMHO, for photography, effort and time are the more important elements to make you a better photographer.

And my suggestion to you is, keep shoot on film now, but cut down on making prints from negatives, try to scan the negative on CD, you may able save some cost.

Keep share and learn from each other, and experiment on your own.

Hope this help.

I agree that digicam or DSLR tend to let one happily press the trigger and fire your shots blindly. But there are some ways to help you cure this bad habit.
The key is to limit your "ammo". The ammo refers to your battery and memory card size. Bring only so much battery and storage for your photoshoot.

E.g when you are going for a photoshoot outing, try to set a limit of how many photos you are going to take for the day. Let's start with 50 shots.
Tell yourself, I will limit myself 50 shots. Can be less, but not more. Discipline yourself not to delete bad shots. Since you limit your 'ammo', if you shoot blindly you will soon run out of storage.

Train yourself to be a sniper photog and not a machine gunner photog... haha :bsmilie:

obewan said:
I agree that digicam or DSLR.......................

Train yourself to be a sniper photog and not a machine gunner photog... haha :bsmilie:
This is boil down to discipline..... :thumbsup:

obewan said:
I agree that digicam or DSLR tend to let one happily press the trigger and fire your shots blindly. But there are some ways to help you cure this bad habit.
The key is to limit your "ammo". The ammo refers to your battery and memory card size. Bring only so much battery and storage for your photoshoot.

E.g when you are going for a photoshoot outing, try to set a limit of how many photos you are going to take for the day. Let's start with 50 shots.
Tell yourself, I will limit myself 50 shots. Can be less, but not more. Discipline yourself not to delete bad shots. Since you limit your 'ammo', if you shoot blindly you will soon run out of storage.

Hmm... Going to cry if you see something nice, finger on the trigger, then you ran out of memory. Another alternative is just to shoot raw, more photo means more work if you wanna limit yourself. And your memory may ran out as well. I'm not a good photographer so I'm more of machine-gunner and hope 1 out of 100 is good enough for me. :bsmilie:

judeseah said:
read it thrice,
n i still don't get what many pple's replies r about.

in no line did i see s11 saying dslr is better,
or did he say anything about better gear=better pic.

s11,
i m a poor photog as well,
though i hv my boss to thank for my modestly ex gear.
n i must say, better cam=better pic.
maybe my same cam in another hand will give better pic
but compared to my lousier gear, it gave me better pic.
don't listen to those BS that pinhole cam also good enough,
we r not rich enough to buy cheap things.
get the best u can afford time round.

well, if u think u r a careful person,
as and when i can,
u can borrow my eos3 with a walkaround lens.
just PM me, ok?

yup agree ... hahaha thanks for yr offer but i am using a EOS5 now so was looking if anyone could lend me a DSLR to help cover a charity event charity

;)

dawgbyte77 said:
Hmm... Going to cry if you see something nice, finger on the trigger, then you ran out of memory. Another alternative is just to shoot raw, more photo means more work if you wanna limit yourself. And your memory may ran out as well. I'm not a good photographer so I'm more of machine-gunner and hope 1 out of 100 is good enough for me. :bsmilie:

As long as that GPMG doesn't become a Aster 15 salvo..its peachy enough :bsmilie:

judeseah said:
there is no such thing as no colour correction for film(negative).
colour filters r added(digital or physical) to get the colours back on film.

one lab might be more saturated n contrasty to another,
but its due to the printer(machine n technician).

so going to different lab to get the same print?
tough.
have u tried same sets of prints from 2 labs,
ur method and get the same?
will be interested to know if u do.

hi judeseah
yup. why not? if u request for no correction, they will print as it is. maeb at most NNN+1??..they dont do any colour correction or adjust brightness/contrast to save under or overexpose pics.

i won't say you are able to get 100% similar photos from different lab. That's why i say"prevent".
i bet if you do reprints and compared those printed a month ago, i don't think u can really tell which is the 'original" if you seperate the two.

kiumjoon said:
hi judeseah
yup. why not? if u request for no correction, they will print as it is. maeb at most NNN+1??..they dont do any colour correction or adjust brightness/contrast to save under or overexpose pics.

i won't say you are able to get 100% similar photos from different lab. That's why i say"prevent".
i bet if you do reprints and compared those printed a month ago, i don't think u can really tell which is the 'original" if you seperate the two.

well,with slide maybe what u say stands.

but film being the reverse recording,
mini lab's machine after scanning it,
would have to determine how to "reverse the reverse".

noritsu, fujifilm or agfa's machines all has a huge data bank of several thousands
to determine roughly what settings is ur pics.
and different brand has different settings.
even the same brand,
the higher end machine will have more
so called 'scenes' for the machine to chose from.

after which, is up to the technician to do minor
or no corrections.

so by saying that no corrections,
u only restrict the operator's work,
not the machine.

u would not be able to reconize ur own pics if
truly no corrections' done.

kiumjoon said:
hi judeseah

Mind tell us how long, or how many rolls you been asking for no color correction?

judeseah said:
well,with slide maybe what u say stands.

u would not be able to reconize ur own pics if
truly no corrections' done.

well, if thats what you think so..i see no point in discussing abt it anymore.

I used to shoot with slides and B/W films and I'm a happy user of a old FM2 which I've got it 8 years back, just got myself a D70 this recent CNY and the first thing I do is to switch off the preview windows (switched it off because I notice alot of people who does digital likes to preview their shoots, yeah it's an incentive but you spoils the excitement). Photography is all about lights and composition, your eye behind viewfinder, can't agree more with people saying good equipment will give you good result, but one can do wonders with just a simple point and shoot if you have a good eye for angles and lights. I still shoot with films sometimes.

I've been in the advertising industry for 5 years and photography is what drives me into it, since my first romantic encounter with my dad's AE1 and saw those fine prints, I told myself that one day I’m gonna make full use of this great tool that can capture time. Anyone can do photography as a hobby, you don't have to invest thousands to start. Get your mentality right, it's all about creativity with lights and composition and not about craving gears.

The argument over film and digital should all ends, there's no need to fight as both have their strong point. As for a new comers, I just want to share some of my thoughts, I learn the hard way, having my cloths all smell like Fixer and Developer, having tons of over exposed ilford multigrade, not knowing day or night because I’m stuck in a room with only a dim red light hanging over my shoulder calculating stops and doing contact prints and playing with mounting boards with holes (for image burning) and glass effects. And It really doesn’t make a difference when I switch to digital, yeah, everything’s the same IMHO, you shoot in raw, you post process it in photoshop using camera raw and you see your images wallah. As for people who have done film, it’s lights on, lights off, developer, stopper, fixer, water and wallah… your image will stand tall sticking on walls. So why we always fight over film and digital?

For digital photographers, they have digital work flow, for film guy, they have their water flowing.. I don’t know if I’m making any contribution to this thread but what I wanted to say is, owning a DSLR doesn’t really makes one a better photographer, persistence and practice IMHO is what makes a picture worth a thousand words. So.. people without DSLR, don’t start complaining, start bringing your camera with you wherever you are and view things from your viewfinder.

ynot said:
I used to shoot with slides and B/W films and I'm a happy user of a old FM2 which I've got it 8 years back, just got myself a D70 this recent CNY and the first thing I do is to switch off the preview windows (switched it off because I notice alot of people who does digital likes to preview their shoots, yeah it's an incentive but you spoils the excitement). Photography is all about lights and composition, your eye behind viewfinder, can't agree more with people saying good equipment will give you good result, but one can do wonders with just a simple point and shoot if you have a good eye for angles and lights. I still shoot with films sometimes.

I've been in the advertising industry for 5 years and photography is what drives me into it, since my first romantic encounter with my dad's AE1 and saw those fine prints, I told myself that one day I’m gonna make full use of this great tool that can capture time. Anyone can do photography as a hobby, you don't have to invest thousands to start. Get your mentality right, it's all about creativity with lights and composition and not about craving gears.

The argument over film and digital should all ends, there's no need to fight as both have their strong point. As for a new comers, I just want to share some of my thoughts, I learn the hard way, having my cloths all smell like Fixer and Developer, having tons of over exposed ilford multigrade, not knowing day or night because I’m stuck in a room with only a dim red light hanging over my shoulder calculating stops and doing contact prints and playing with mounting boards with holes (for image burning) and glass effects. And It really doesn’t make a difference when I switch to digital, yeah, everything’s the same IMHO, you shoot in raw, you post process it in photoshop using camera raw and you see your images wallah. As for people who have done film, it’s lights on, lights off, developer, stopper, fixer, water and wallah… your image will stand tall sticking on walls. So why we always fight over film and digital?

For digital photographers, they have digital work flow, for film guy, they have their water flowing.. I don’t know if I’m making any contribution to this thread but what I wanted to say is, owning a DSLR doesn’t really makes one a better photographer, persistence and practice IMHO is what makes a picture worth a thousand words. So.. people without DSLR, don’t start complaining, start bringing your camera with you wherever you are and view things from your viewfinder.

thats great. you speak my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.