Pondering over G2 or F707

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GenXBoi

I pondering over whether to buy a Canon G2 or Sony F707.
Can someone give some advise on what are the advantages of F707 over G2 or G2 over F707? and what are their cheapest prices and where to buy them?

willyfoo

Jan 18, 2002
North
willyfoo.com
Originally posted by nicson
I pondering over whether to buy a Canon G2 or Sony F707.
Can someone give some advise on what are the advantages of F707 over G2 or G2 over F707? and what are their cheapest prices and where to buy them?
Hi nicson,

Many have asked this question recently... the short answer is .. you won't go wrong with either they are both the best prosumer cameras available (another one is the Coolpix 5000). However, each camera has it's own advantages and disadvantages which may influence your preference.

Let me start a list of pros & cons.. other 707 & G2 owners, please feel free to add on.

* 707 Pros *
- 5x Optical Zoom (One of the best for prosumer cams, other than Canon Pro90)
- Rich Colours (May be a Con as well, depending on how you look at it)
- Good internal flash (accurate pre-flash metering and good range for an internal flash)
- Manual Focus capabilities (although not that responsive as it's not mechanically linked)
- Fast & high quality Carl Zeiss Lens
- Quick focusing with hologram focus assist
- Excellent battery life
- Good Electronic View Finder (EVF)

* 707 Cons *
- Bulky to carry around wherever you go
- Bad external flash capability
- Proprietary Memory Stick
- Slight over-saturated Colours (aka Disney Colours)

I don't have a G2 so I can't comment much..
Generally I know the G2 is excellent in flash work and has limited zoom range (3x compared to 5x for 707).

Since I do a lot of nature photography, that naturally rules out the G2 for me.

Can some G2 users furnish the Pros & Cons??

G

GenXBoi

thanks pal!! Your advise is greatly useful.

cutter

Mar 19, 2002
...Not So Far Away
Visit site
Both also different camera types... G2 is compact rangefinder type with parallax optical viewfinder while 707 is TTL with big lens 'SLR'-type. Best you compare specs on websites for what you need more... 707 also 50% more expensive + expense of MS (limited to 128MB) and Li-On batt (ok G2 also got Li-On)... all = higher running cost... Canon use common CF and microdrive so more bang for buck when u need capacity (w/o having to resort to bulky expensive image banks)... unless $$$ no object, you should consider not spending too much on any digcam as you will be upgrading within a couple of years... (Foveon etc) with new technologies replacing CF, SM, CCD, USB etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.