Poloriser filter on top of UV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitkai

Sep 9, 2008
Hi guys,

Most get UV to protect the front element right? Say when the situation u need poloriser to reduce reflection, do u remove the UV then mount the Poloriser, or u just stack the filters together?

i using hoya super hmc and pro1 low-profile, and kenko pro1 uv filters.. but after some experience learned to remove the UV filter before putting on the CPL..

problem: hard to unscrew the CPL from the uv filter.. especially if you screw it on all the way.. ended up having to remove both filters from the lens, and twist and turn both pieces in a lens cloth until i can loosen it..

if you screw just one on the lens, its easier to remove..

Hi guys,

Most get UV to protect the front element right? Say when the situation u need poloriser to reduce reflection, do u remove the UV then mount the Poloriser, or u just stack the filters together?

more glass, more image degradation, no matter how expensive.

best to remove the uv, dont' be lazy, it takes 5 seconds.

Not advisable if the filters are not multi-coated due to possible vignetting. :nono:

Not vignetting, but reflections are more likely to happen, causing the famous "filter flare" in certain light conditions. But even the best coating will not prevent this fully.

Never desirable nor necessary to stack. Increase risk of mechanical vignetting, flares especially from those off axis lights, and degrades IQ.

The lens is as good as its optics, the more unnecessary glass u stack outside, the lesser the IQ.

Ryan

Remove that UV. Polarizers on it's own are alr thick.

You risk having vignettes on ur pix otherwise. Stacking also invites reflection / flares espc if ur shooting into direct sun / light source.

Polarizer when use properly will benefit you with rich colours and dramatic skies. All this you alr know.

Do the right thing.

Cheers and happy shooting/

Which do you keep it on most of the time? UV or Poloriser?
I guess you probably buy UV first right? Poloriser later, since poloriser not suitable for low light...

It's wiser to remove the UV filter and attach the polarizer.

You are probably better of mounting the UV filter on most of the time, but hey, there's nothing to stop you from keeping the polarizer mounted, if, for instance, you are out shooting on a bright sunny day.

I concur. Like in Dubai, you may want to keep the polarizer as the main filter.

Beware of the penalty in light loss as a result of the polariser especially in darker places if you intend to keep it on indefinately.

I would not use them indiscriminately. Use what u need.

Ryan

Which do you keep it on most of the time? UV or Poloriser?

None.
I use UV as protector if the environment requires it (splashes, dust or sand) and I use polarizer if I want to use its features. If none applies then there's no filter on my lens.

I never usually use UV filters or polarizers...
I have only experimented Cokin creative filters...
Such as gradual colour, special effects filters.

Marie

I have tried x2 slim filters.
Stacked will cause vignetting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.