Poll: Your photo equipment investment strategy

What is your photo gear purchasing strategy?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnyu

Nov 4, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
I personally tend to think long term when I purchase photo gears. I assume I will use a piece of equipment for years. But I've seen many people "trade in" virtual new gears on CS and then purchase yet newer gears. Initially I thought that was not financially sensible. But when I think more about it, maybe it is, as a mint new model can be sold with very little lost and then one can get the next newer model!!

Nevertheless, the "constant upgrading" strategy makes you very conscious when you use your equipment, for fear that every scratch or peel will devalue your equipment...and you've got to have a good grip of the timing and know the 2nd-hand market well.

So much hassle...I rather just buy and use...when time comes for upgrading just sell off the old one at scrap price (good for students).

i sell when i have the chance. I only buy films. How many zooms do u need , really? or bodies?

But seriously, if you have not mastered your last equipment, how much help would a newer one be?

Ah Pao said:
Nevertheless, the "constant upgrading" strategy makes you very conscious when you use your equipment, for fear that every scratch or peel will devalue your equipment...and you've got to have a good grip of the timing and know the 2nd-hand market well.

Yeah, that's very true.

tmc17479 said:
But seriously, if you have not mastered your last equipment, how much help would a newer one be?

I can't speak for others. But for me, I don't find it's difficult to switch between models, or even brands.

Well..IMO...all the equipment I buy is to sustain my hobby tat is photography...there'll always be newer and better equipment coming up all the time...and for those photographers that are into speciality shoots (sports, macro...etc...)...there's valid reason to always keep up with the improvments...but for me...when I spend the thousands on equipment...I tend to think real hard and will only let the moolars flow out from my wallet if the buy is justifiable to my passion in photography...

so in conclusion.... I guess its a very personal choice to constantly upgrade or not...

:D

I actually downgraded from a big fat EOS-3 + PBE2 to a more compact and lighter EOS-30. The only expense now are slides/films and processing, about 1-1.5 rolls/month. I see no reason to upgrade for quite a while, unless there's a killer deal somewhere.

i must confess i always get a rush of adrenaline with a new item, esp lenses. It's always fun to go try out something new. Sometimes, the 'new' stuff may catch on well and work its way into your regular style. i, for one, didn't go into primes until i started fooling around with them.

For 'staple shooting' (eg weddings) though, it's always the same equipment.

And also, if one is comfortable to buy used stuff, it's a great way to 'rent' equipment; usually there is little or no loss, esp the higher end stuff which keep and sell well. Of course, the risk of dropping it or getting fungus is always there when the item is in your keep.

Cash said:
i sell when i have the chance. I only buy films. How many zooms do u need , really? or bodies?

Hey you still around. Good!

Well CASH, at least one additional body lah for back-up! As for zooms, yes you really need one wide, standard and a telephoto. That is about it.

Depends what work you do too. For example, if you shoot a lot of small tiny items, you may want to invest on a macro lens for optimum quality. Or if you are a sports photographer, you may want to buy on a 300mm/400mm F2.8. Something like that. Really depends what you specialized in.

What tmc17479 is true. If you cannot even master the basic skills, what is the use of keep buying and upgrading new ones? Skills are far more important. Once you master it, you will not think of investing too heavily on equipments. That is when you start to save $$$$ and go for holidays!

It is part of normal human nature to want newer toys and more advance technology. I am human too, if I see something I like by all means go for it. Everyone has a certain weakness. My weakness is upgrading my computer hardware!!!! Hehehe.............. :lovegrin:

after a long long long war with equiptment choice and lots of headaches...i gave up all kinds of buying strategies

now iam very much inclined to simply save money and collect both N & C so that i can have a wife in the day and a mistress in the night :D :cool:

That's a real good suggestion! But i think i'll go for an office love story in the day time, a mistress in the evening, and a wife at night......

come on....the cash is better utilised this way...

I spend many months pondering what to buy and then when a new model comes to obsolete my prior product consideration, I spend many months more figuring that new model out.

So far, havent bought anything yet. lol !

Status
Not open for further replies.