Poll: which is the best FILM scanner available now in sg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outsider_27

Jul 12, 2006
Toa Payoh
as i saw in canon website, there is this type of new scanner whereby they can scan poto film into pictures.

as my mum do keep Loads of films, i want to scan into my comp usin scanner for convience purpose

so which scanner can scan these film potos the best in quality?

nikon 5000ED
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Howtek Hi Resolve 8000 drum scanner. I have one in my studio.

ICG drum scanners are rare in Singapore. If you do see one, that is the best.

CSer getting a bit ... corny?

You didn't say negative, slides or hard copy photo.

If hard copy photo, any decent present flatbed should do. Try Canon and Epson.

For negatives or slides, you need to go at least one step further. Again try Canon and Epson, they have flatbed scanners with the cover having a light that allows transmission through the negative and slides for scanning.

Or get a dedicated film scanner, don't know if such things still available widely, easily.

The stuff the earlier CSer posted were in response to your "best" requirement. "Best" is very hard to achieve, drum scanners are the best, they cost 6 figures the last time I read about them.

Flatbeds can be had for a few hundred dollars, stay away from the absolute bottom of the line. Go 2 to 3 models higher to get decent results beyond what's good for school project. Better still go 2 to 3 models lower from the top to get pretty good results, good enough for an old fart like me (been photographing since 1978, from mechanical manual SLR to electronic SLR to autofocus SLR to program SLR to digital SLR).

Just make sure they scan negatives or slides if that's what you want.

Nikon 9000ED Coolscan

Sion said:
All the replies are relevant as he asks, "Which is the best FILM scanner available now in sg?" mah.

:)

Maybe I should have said, very corny.

Some more replies we can set up a store to sell jagung...:)

Get a Nikon Coolscan 9000ED or 5000ED. Make sure your computer is fast and has at least 2GB of RAM though, because those scanned files will be huge.

Hi. I am a newcomer to your wonderful site. Like every new problem brings in a new member, I too am here with one problem. Basically I am a firm believer in film based cameras and a great disbeliever in digital SLRs. So with tons of negatives for the past 23 years or more (I am a proud owner of one SLR called Nikon FM2) I am now in a mood to get the negatives scanned and digitised with two objectives: (a) preservation (b) creative pursuits like enlargement, editing photos (convert to B&W/Sepia or adding effects to older photos not shot with filters eg white dull sky etc.). I first looked around for a scanner and closed upon Nikon but then Nikon Singapore officially informed me that their scanners are discontinued. These (I was looking at the Coolscan V ED50 model) are still available with some dealers but are too costly for me. The next lower ones are really not worth spending (Canon, HP etc.).

I therefore need help in identifying a shop or a set of shops who would scan me my negative rolls at a high DPI so that the same could be used for reproducing enlargements or editing on Adobe Photoshop and then sent out for printing.

Basically I haven't done much in that area so I am unsure...

Sumit

ssimlai said:
Hi. I am a newcomer to your wonderful site. Like every new problem brings in a new member, I too am here with one problem. Basically I am a firm believer in film based cameras and a great disbeliever in digital SLRs. So with tons of negatives for the past 23 years or more (I am a proud owner of one SLR called Nikon FM2) I am now in a mood to get the negatives scanned and digitised with two objectives: (a) preservation (b) creative pursuits like enlargement, editing photos (convert to B&W/Sepia or adding effects to older photos not shot with filters eg white dull sky etc.). I first looked around for a scanner and closed upon Nikon but then Nikon Singapore officially informed me that their scanners are discontinued. These (I was looking at the Coolscan V ED50 model) are still available with some dealers but are too costly for me. The next lower ones are really not worth spending (Canon, HP etc.).

I therefore need help in identifying a shop or a set of shops who would scan me my negative rolls at a high DPI so that the same could be used for reproducing enlargements or editing on Adobe Photoshop and then sent out for printing.

Basically I haven't done much in that area so I am unsure...

Sumit

Ssimlai, I am in the same shoe as you are. I started with film back in those days and still a dedicated film camera believer. I have been asking around, searching the net and forums for answer to the similar questions of yours and Still Have Not Found What I've Been Looking For.:(

Weely I finally decided and purchased an Epson V700. Just go for it - you will not be unhappy.

Sumit

Great if you are happy with your 4870. I guess most of these are really good. Perhaps a little bit of dedicated scanners might do a better job but again at the end it is one's own choice and opinion. Good I didn't buy the Nikon - too pricy and now Nikon are about to exit the business.

as i saw in canon website, there is this type of new scanner whereby they can scan poto film into pictures.

as my mum do keep Loads of films, i want to scan into my comp usin scanner for convience purpose

so which scanner can scan these film potos the best in quality?
Check this out... http://www.cnettv.com/9710-1_53-18383.html

Didn't show up anything except a video player. What is it please?

Didn't show up anything except a video player. What is it please?
I forgot to mention that you'll need broadband to view the video. It may not work if you're using any modem speed lower than 1500bps. Even if you do have, you'll have to wait a while before the show begins. The video is a tutorial to teach anyone interested on how to digitize old photos. The equipment shown is the Canon Pixma MP800.

Hi, Sumit,

Like you, I am also a believer in film. Just a few questions ... am interested in your first-hand findings - how good is the output of the V700 in terms of preserving the high quality of the film ? How long does it take to scan one slide at highest resolution ?

Thanks

Weely I finally decided and purchased an Epson V700. Just go for it - you will not be unhappy.

Sumit

CSer getting a bit ... corny?

You didn't say negative, slides or hard copy photo.....

....good enough for an old fart like me (been photographing since 1978, from mechanical manual SLR to electronic SLR to autofocus SLR to program SLR to digital SLR).

yes... you are indeed an OLD FART.... now fart off.....

Status
Not open for further replies.