Mar 7, 2004
Changi
which lens have the most sharpness?
-macro
-zoom
-prime

it usually depends u know.

i.e cosina vs. zeiss? different ranges?

a lousy prime may not be sharper than a good zoom... etc..

but i'll go with macro prime for a hundred alex.

Dun understand your poll.......comparing apples to oranges.....

dkw said:
Dun understand your poll.......comparing apples to oranges.....

i thought that the basic for making comparisons is that both subjects are to be from the same brand (e.g. Leica vs Leica, Canon vs Canon, Nikon vs Nikon, Sigma vs Sigma) and same range (prosumer lens vs prosumer lens, professional lens vs professional lens)?? ;)

devilicboy said:
i thought that the basic for making comparisons is that both subjects are to be from the same brand (e.g. Leica vs Leica, Canon vs Canon, Nikon vs Nikon, Sigma vs Sigma) and same range (prosumer lens vs prosumer lens, professional lens vs professional lens)?? ;)

Well, you didn't frame the poll that way. You asked "Which is the sharpest? Macro, Zoom or Prime?" Consider the variables....

1) Price....24-70L at $2400 or 28-135 IS at $700?? Which will be sharper?

2) Aperture....50/1.8 Mk2 at 1.8 vs 50/1.4 at 1.4 or 1.8??

3) How about macro vs non-macro at near similar teles i.e. 100/2.8 Macro vs 135/2L??

Some macro lenses are sharper than some telezooms and vice-versa (in fact, some macro lenses ARE telezooms, Sigma 70-300 APO SM2 as an example), some cheap "consumer" lenses are sharper than some "professional" lenses. You have to frame your question more precisely......

So my answer to your question is.........it depends......

Why don't you make your comparison using the MTF charts?

Status
Not open for further replies.