Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
20D! ;(

20D!! :mad2:

20D!!! :hung:

take a deep breath...

and continue using my 10D... :D

Not in this lifetime. It's the first DSLR that I own. Even if I upgrade to a 30D or 40D or 50D (not 20D) in the future I will still keep my 10D as a backup. It's got sentimental value and not just a bunch of electronics. I still have my first film camera. I've upgraded and sold most of them but the first one stays.

Well why not? I ask myself whether the 20D will make photography easier for me. The answer is a definite yes:

1. Near-instant startup time. How many of you set your camera to turn off after 15 minutes because you hate the startup time?

2. Improved high ISO performance - ISO 1600 on 20D supposed to be as good as ISO 400 on the 10D. I take a lot of low light images so this is very important for me. Imagine ISO 1600 on the 20D, cleaned up with Neat Image - this should give you an image as clean as ISO 200! People, don't forget that usable ISO 1600 is unheard of in the film world!

3. MUCH improved AF. I have to leave my 550EX mounted on my camera to help with low light AF.

4. Deeper shot buffer, instant image playback. How many of you stare at the "BUSY" screen waiting to chimp? Less time chimping = more time taking pictures.

Those are the real clinchers for me. Everything else:

5. 105gm lighter
6. Improved flash sync (1/250) and higher maximum shutter speed (1/8000)
7. Better styling, nicer finish, improved ergonomics
8. 5FPS
9. Better resolution (8MP). I think I would have preferred they leave it at 6MP but give us a clean ISO 6400 instead.
10. ETTL2, EF-S lens mount

... is just icing on the cake. Nice to have, but not really essential. There were a few things I hoped for which did not make it into the 20D:

1. ISO display in viewfinder and top LCD without having to press a button.

2. A "custom" setting on the mode dial. How this might be useful: imagine you are shooting fireworks at a party. On your custom mode, you set mirror lockup, timer shutter release, AF to * button, flash not to fire, custom white balance, manual exposure with a long shutter speed. Then, you want to turn around and take a picture of people at the party. You just flick the mode dial off custom into another custom mode or into Av (without having to go through a dozen button presses to get rid of the timer, MLU, flash to fire, etc) and shoot.

3. Bigger viewfinder. They could have adopted a Sigma-style viewfinder. The SD9 has a full frame viewfinder with the crop area greyed out. You can see what's happening outside your frame.

4. A histogram which displays RGB channels. And while we're on topic, a bigger rear LCD (2.5") like the one on the Leica Digilux 2 would be very nice.

I will definitely be upgrading.

Well, very unlikely for me to dump my 10d for the 20d. I'd rather use it to death like what I di with my manual film SLR system. I'm the sort of feller who will stick to something I like. Like my last discman lasted me 9 yrs until it died.

No doubt the 10d will become relatively more and more 'lousy' compared to all the new gear to be released. It's good to have some hardware limitations sometimes. Makes me think more, study deeper and try harder to achieve what I need to do. Like my manual SLR, I knew it like the back of my hand while everybody else was already on AF gear.

But really, I MONEY NO ENUFF to be dumping my gear everytime something new pops up ;p

Dump it? Definitely a :nono:

I like this DSLR and it has helped me take some nice pics. Even if I upgraded to 20D, I'll still keep it as a backup.

If 10D have a firmware upgrade the ETTL to ETTL-2, most likely I'll keep the 10D, other wise...........1D2 or 20D is the way to go.

Beside that, 20D the 5 fps also is a good reason.

Will definitely upgrade from 10D to 20D!

Why?

ETTL-2
5fps
Improved AF
EF-S compatibility (how else to get 16mm on a 1.6crop??)

Depends what you do I guess. All the above helps the wedding/PR photographer - not someone into macro/landscape/studio. :D

Thinking of skipping this and go for 1D2 with my 10D as backup... but it seemed that the improvement on D20 is as good.

With the pace of technology advance (however minor - was hoping for a bigger jump in improvement, especially in the dynamic range department cuz the bride and groom B&W is giving my 10D headachs), I'm more inclined to keep a tighter budget and upgrade more often.

Kudos to canon for these "improvement"... keep them coming in bigger jumps... I prefer breakthroughs rather then step increment.

CYRN said:
Thinking of skipping this and go for 1D2 with my 10D as backup... but it seemed that the improvement on D20 is as good.

With the pace of technology advance (however minor - was hoping for a bigger jump in improvement, especially in the dynamic range department cuz the bride and groom B&W is giving my 10D headachs), I'm more inclined to keep a tighter budget and upgrade more often.

Kudos to canon for these "improvement"... keep them coming in bigger jumps... I prefer breakthroughs rather then step increment.

same here...i rather go for 1 big improvement,... then a lesser one... to me... the Mks... are more of the "pro" range.... crop factor of a 1.3x is reali good compared to 1.6x then...again... price is problem too... if prices is good... i will definately go for a MK a the near future...! lets just kepp our fingers cross!

tmc17479 said:
looks good for people without a system to start with :)

namely me!!!

Every latest camera out there is good for people without a system to start with. That's what they said with the 300D, 10D, D60, D70, D30, blah.....

as long.... u havent start a "system".... its alwiz good to start with any....
nikon, canon, contax... or whatever.... its the money in ur pocket.....
IS IT DEEP enough to settle the game? :devil:

20D have pretty impressive specification but IMO still it cannot fully justify an immediate upgrade. Unlike 10D when was launch many D60 users quickly jump on the upgrade path. That was because 10D's improvement to D60 was a milestone especially in the AF, higher ISO and picture quality.

But for 20D, physically it looks just like a 10D body with an upgrade engine (8.3MP,9 AF system) and more features.

IMO it would only justify an immediate upgrade if 20D has a new body design with a 1.3 crop sensor and spot metering.

Cheers

Alvin

alvinchuan said:
20D have pretty impressive specification but IMO still it cannot fully justify an immediate upgrade. Unlike 10D when was launch many D60 users quickly jump on the upgrade path. That was because 10D's improvement to D60 was a milestone especially in the AF, higher ISO and picture quality.

But for 20D, physically it looks just like a 10D body with an upgrade engine (8.3MP,9 AF system) and more features.

IMO it would only justify an immediate upgrade if 20D has a new body design with a 1.3 crop sensor and spot metering.

Cheers

Alvin
With that, it would give you a '1' series... so far I know only '1' series except the 1Ds will have 1.3x crop factor...

Nope, the 10D serves me well and is a very good camera. I am aiming for the 1D MkII for the next upgrade ... the 1series is a pro series and Canon definitely has its reason for making it so and the 20D is not going to be anywhere near this level. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.