POLL: 1/focal length rule

Which one is correct?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
use "1/resultant focal length" if u want to play safe.

1/ (focal length x crop factor) is more accurate. but this is just a guide. everyone's different.

+evenstar said:
Which do you think is the correct choice for this rule?

it's not a rule, just a guide. i use 1/focal lenght to get a general idea but have gotten good shots using slower speeds as well.

hmmm, interesting question.

what about those who are shooting in medium or large format? is it (1/equivalent of 35mm focal length) ?

hehehehe...have a merry xmas!

cheers
Andrew

the rule/guide only applies to 35mm format. if you are using dslr, its the 1/focal length x crop factor.

Well, just think of all those prosumers with those tiny sensor and huge crop factor, you think you can avoid camera shake at it's 200mm equivalent focal length by using 1/50 shutter speed b'cos it's actual focal length is around 50mm?

Perhaps due to the enlargement of the image, any defects due to camera movement are also enlarged similarly, thus requiring to take this crop factor into consideration?
:think:

Anyway, the 1/focal length is just a rough guide for 35mm photography...

I don't have a steady hand.. and when i shoot my D70+Sigma70-300APO is actually moving up down left right by 5-7mm.. But the image is sharp when enlarged 100% at 1/160 300mm ...once i change to any shutter lower can see movement liao.. 160 seem to be the lucky number.. :confused:

kh_drew said:
hmmm, interesting question.

what about those who are shooting in medium or large format? is it (1/equivalent of 35mm focal length) ?

hehehehe...have a merry xmas!

cheers
Andrew

as a guide, it should (1/their focal length). have not seen anyone using large format cameras handheld?

care to explain?

i think the rule is shoot at the speed which you can handhold without shaking :) some people who follow the 1/focal length rule still can't get their technique right to hand hold properly which is the more important thing. :)

sulhan said:
Crop factor here is just the media capture area.......
;)
rgds,
sulhan

same thoughts, and the lens you use for 35mm x1.6 or not is the same. so I personally ignore the crop factor.

i dun like to compare against digicams cos the lens size used is not the same as SLR.

compare apples to apples

and the most important factor is to get your techique right, that these 'rules' can be broken as well.

Belle&Sebastain said:
i dun like to compare against digicams cos the lens size used is not the same as SLR.
Lens size is not an issue, focal length is. A 50mm lens on a digicam would have the same magnification on a SLR if it could be fitted, albeit with vignetting.

Most digicams have a FOV crop factor of 4.x. So a 50mm gives a 200mm FOV. I don't think anyone gets reliable decent results at 200mm 1/50 with those cameras.

compare apples to apples
No longer possible when DSLRs and SLRs are different both in imager size and CoC. It's akin to comparing a medium format to a 35mm in this case.

and the most important factor is to get your techique right, that these 'rules' can be broken as well.
Agree.

1/(35mm equivalent focal length)

and of course there's IS/VR/AS :lovegrin:

reachme2003 said:
as a guide, it should (1/their focal length). have not seen anyone using large format cameras handheld?

Done it at 1/125 and still sharp with my crown graphic will a rodenstock 150mm lens :sweatsm:

Zerstorer said:
Lens size is not an issue, focal length is. A 50mm lens on a digicam would have the same magnification on a SLR if it could be fitted, albeit with vignetting.

Most digicams have a FOV crop factor of 4.x. So a 50mm gives a 200mm FOV. I don't think anyone gets reliable decent results at 200mm 1/50 with those cameras.

No longer possible when DSLRs and SLRs are different both in imager size and CoC. It's akin to comparing a medium format to a 35mm in this case.

Agree.

anyway its my own thoughts, i bo chap (do not care) this type of things one, the image is more important than this. :)

sulhan said:
Crop factor here is just the media capture area.......
;)
rgds,
sulhan

Actually even Minolta programmed the Dynax 7 Digital to use the 1/focal length x crop factor rule.

When using flash in aperture priority, the camera shutter speed is locked at shutter speed of 1/focal length x crop factor of slightly bigger than 1.5. You can check the difference between your 7D and your film 7, which follows the 1/focal length rule.

Cheers!

Anyway, I always uses 1/focal length becoz the multipler is just like a crop factor. If you shoot exactly at 1/focal length and crop at multiplication of factor using PS, I am sure you dun see blur motion either. ;) Unless the general /focal length rule is wrong in the first place.. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.