Politics in Photo Societies

Status
Not open for further replies.

truth-photographer

Mar 12, 2005
Hello.... Gossip time.

Yeah yeah, ladies' favourite...... But this is really not gossip.

I just declared myself "not a member" of one of the very established photo societies in Singapore.

Sigh Sigh. I attended its recent AGM and sometimes, I really find it odd why there is so much politicking among volunteers in societies, not just photo societies.

What disgusted me during the AGM which I attended was I read at the notice board at the Society that the nomination was closed with the key positions returned unopposed. I went to the gallery where the AGM was convened to see a big crowd of about 50 people, and I am surprised that the nomination was thrown open again and there it began a series of chaos and free for all nominations across the gallery, with shoutings and excitement like some sort of playground but filled with adults, and like some 7th month bidding exercise. And what surprised us was that those who were originally returned unopposed in the key positions were suddenly replaced with those people who are actually contesting for the Council member position, and those who are supposedly returned unopposed for the key council positions ended up being elected into the Council position. Seemed like some tactical move done deliberately.

Aiyoh Aiyoh. It was such an unsightly mess and I felt at that time ashamed to be its member. My accompanying girlfriend and my buddy guy decided to call it quits at this Society. We saw several members walking out of the gallery with disgusted face after casting their votes.

But I am very sure many people who attended the AGM are indeed terribly disgusted to see it in this state. Its image was terribly shakened just within that 2 hours.

If I had know this would happen, I would have spent this time watching a movie elsewhere and felt less disgusted. I would not have gone if my buddy guy did not ask me to attend.

Nonetheless, I felt relieve that I declare myself "no longer a member".

No offence to this club, but I think dirty linen should first be settled internally and not through the AGM where members are there to see the show.

So much for this kopitiam talk. The more I think about it, the more i need a glass of ice water to cool down.

Which society is this?

Hahaha.... Well, club, society, companies, etc all start small with a good commitment to goals and stuff like dat.

Lets face it, regardless of any place, as long as it grows beyond a critical size and gains popularity, there ARE PEOPLE (both founders AND new blood) with their individual agenda to pursue. In order to pursue their individual agenda (for good, for bad, for personal), they will need the support and what does all these result in? A single word - Politics. ;)

I had joined clubs, music groups outside before and left all these associations when I saw politics forming. Dun say external physical clubs, even online forums are similarly affected as well where ppl who wanna pursue their own hidden agenda would not hesitate to stamp others out.

As long as humans reign, and as long as there is a large group of ppl, there will be politics. Political agenda, alignments, alliances, hidden sparring sessions. All these are simply natural. We can feel disgusted but we can't escape, face it. ;p

Hahaha.... Well, club, society, companies, etc all start small with a good commitment to goals and stuff like dat.

Lets face it, regardless of any place, as long as it grows beyond a critical size and gains popularity, there ARE PEOPLE (both founders AND new blood) with their individual agenda to pursue. In order to pursue their individual agenda (for good, for bad, for personal), they will need the support and what does all these result in? A single word - Politics. ;)

I had joined clubs, music groups outside before and left all these associations when I saw politics forming. Dun say external physical clubs, even online forums are similarly affected as well where ppl who wanna pursue their own hidden agenda would not hesitate to stamp others out.

As long as humans reign, and as long as there is a large group of ppl, there will be politics. Political agenda, alignments, alliances, hidden sparring sessions. All these are simply natural. We can feel disgusted but we can't escape, face it. ;p
:thumbsup: with ppl comes politics.

the person is political.

Even amongst ANIMALS, as long as they have a social structure, there will be politics as well to catch attention of the alpha male.

Humans, being social animals, we are not much of a diff.

any way to have a perfect entity without politics?

any way to have a perfect entity without politics?
if and when you found utopia, pm me ok, don't post it publically, because then, everyone will go there, and it will ceased tobe utopia.

good luck ...

I agree with vince, if you dont want to post the name of said society, really defeat the point, isn't it.

I remember you are the strong supporter of you "ex" photo society, you will humtum anyone who give "truth, but not so nice words" against the society many moons back.

anyway, any places more than two persons there will have politics, so don't be dishearten, as long you still enjoy photography is good enough, like the nick you use, be a "truth-photographer".

that's the beauty of Photography.. even if only one person..still can go out and take pics..:)

I remember you are the strong supporter of you "ex" photo society, you will humtum anyone who give "truth, but not so nice words" against the society many moons back.

anyway, any places more than two persons there will have politics, so don't be dishearten, as long you still enjoy photography is good enough, like the nick you use, be a "truth-photographer".

yah, totally agree w/ u lo. dun join those apple polishers. if u like can org outings meet like minded folks for photography outings.

some ppl who has been in any society too long may develope a cast-in-stone mentality. i've seen it in others too. if u're not 1 of those mindless drones den its oni natural to move out, & move on. :cool:

Hihi!...me newbie..."passing" by and saw the discussion on politics in societies. Just wondering ...by knowing which society is it...does it matter when you r a free bird enjoying the beauty of photography as wat Lenscapes had pointed out.... well...my view is the intention shd not be to shoot down of any of such societies right....but a sharing by fellow forumnite.

As long as there's a social structure, regardless of man or animal, politics WILL exist.

One would be an utter fool ('naive' would probably add a softer touch to it) to think that there's a society, club, entity without any politics at all.

EVEN IN A RELIGIOUS GROUP, dun care what religion u are, amongst members there would be politics as well.

Lets face it guys, we are humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.