polarzier filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

fude

Sep 7, 2005
Hi guys,
I m getting a polarzier filter(cpl), i did some checking on the price and find that it can be from $60(tokina) plus to $200(B+W) plus range.
Can anyone advice is there any differences between cheap and ex filter and is it worth getting a ex 1?

Generally, you get what you paid for.

As for the B+W, the filter ring are generally made of brass, are easier to clean, more scratch resistant, etc.

what about hoya, can see many ppl are using this brand.

sorry to hijack your thread. Checking how to get the exact size filter for my lens, let say for 50mm F1.4 and 10-22 canon? which size?

sorry to hijack your thread. Checking how to get the exact size filter for my lens, let say for 50mm F1.4 and 10-22 canon? which size?

Look under the lens cap or look for the diameter symbol and number next to the symbol
5f_2.JPG

on the lens itself, it will indicate the diameter of the lens. say, 52mm, 62mm, 77mm.
If not sure, when purchase from shop, bring along ur lens or ask the sales to help.
That's what i did.

General opinion on the web is that the top-end Hoya multi-coated ones are the best optically.
However, in day to day use the B+W ones are easier to maintain in terms of cleaning. :dunno:

But realistic differences are very subjective. Some people can discern it, while most cannot. I think its really obvious if you shoot in extremely bright conditions that have a lot of light spill into the lens and causes internal reflections between the lens elements and the filter.

Hi guys,
I m getting a polarzier filter(cpl), i did some checking on the price and find that it can be from $60(tokina) plus to $200(B+W) plus range.
Can anyone advice is there any differences between cheap and ex filter and is it worth getting a ex 1?

I think it's ok if your CPL is Tokina, you don't use it all the time anyway.

As long as they do not throw some color cast into the picture, the image degradation / loss of contrast might not be too visible to the naked eye ( unless u do some serious pixel peeping ) between various makes. Flare might be a visible issue.

For me I just get a good CPL and not to worry anything else.

Ryan

I heard someone said that cheaper CPL tends to lose more stops of light as compared to a more expensive one like B+W. Is that true?

but is there any diff in picture quality??

found out that hoya, kenda(something like that) are all make from tokina. But price are slightly($10-$20) more that tokina.
now really confuse which 1 to get.
B+W=good optical, easy to clean but ex.
hoya=good optical, mid price.
tokina=cheap, not many ppl using.
burr...

found out that hoya, kenda(something like that) are all make from tokina. But price are slightly($10-$20) more that tokina.
burr...

I used Hoya 58mm no complains so far

Filter means something wants to be blocked.
Good filter means all blocked already no more light because all filter up already (just kidding).

BTW, how much did you spend for your camera+lens? just take 20% to buy filter
so why still confuse?

Always remember: No such thing cheap but will give good Quality.. :sticktong
You pay for their low production yield due to cutting glass and coating, research, etc

Go for B+W (expensive but :thumbsup:).
If dissapoint you than sell it to me.

burr...

I really need it to go fishing. Lol. Cheapest for 70mm 1st hand how much ah? TQ. :)

I really need it to go fishing. Lol. Cheapest for 70mm 1st hand how much ah? TQ. :)

sorry, didn't ask about 70mm. But 77mm cheapest is $60 tokina. :)

if u don mind getting online, try out marumi DHG from ebay. Optically on par with hoya/kenko pro1 digital which cost about S$130(slim profile +multi-coated and include front thread screw for the use with lens cap) at current 1.35+/- USD conversion rate, u probably can get 1 at about $80. Its definitely way ahead of the tokina (profile(rim) is about 80% thicker and no coating).

Is there a 70mm diameter filter? IIRC the two nearest are 67mm or 72mm. No 70mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.