Polarizing Filters

bolehbokeh

Aug 24, 2010
Jurong
Hi, i would like to invest in a good "Polarizing Filter" for my Canon 18-200mm. Could anyone recommend me which are the better brands, which type or any specific models to look out for...Much appreciated.:)

Hoya is quite good enough. If you have budget to burn... u can try B+W.

Hoya got good got bad also.

I suggest at least a Hoya HMC CPL. If you have the budget, go for Hoya Pro1D CPL or Kenko Pro1D CPL. And if you have lots of budget go for Hoya HD CPL or Kenko Zeta CPL.

And if you have money to throw way get a B+W, slim type :)

The standard spectrum starts from Tamron/Tokina brands of basic polarizing filters, to the various grades of Hoya filters, to the top end, which many considers to be B+W. Go figure.

Was wondering what kind of polarising filters suitable for UWA like the tokina 11-16 or the sigma 10-20.. can the standard type work so that there is no vignette? or must i use a slim type?

Was wondering what kind of polarising filters suitable for UWA like the tokina 11-16 or the sigma 10-20.. can the standard type work so that there is no vignette? or must i use a slim type?

No CPL is suitable for UWA.... vignetting is least of your problems. The problem is uneven polarization.

best to use slim type, but if you try and you don't see the vignt then just get the normal...

i'm using Kenko PRO1D..

The slim variant is probably the best. But yes, as daredevil123 mentioned, you tend to get uneven polarization, simply due to the wide angle of view. You cannot evenly polarize light coming from all directions.

The slim variant is probably the best. But yes, as daredevil123 mentioned, you tend to get uneven polarization, simply due to the wide angle of view. You cannot evenly polarize light coming from all directions.

Does this effect also seen with slim type B+W CPL as well?

Does this effect also seen with slim type B+W CPL as well?
No filter will change the focal length / field of view of the lens.

hi guys. may i request of a sample picture what the "uneven polarization" looks like. im a newbie so im rather curious. thanks.

BW Slim Type will not accept Nikon front cap. Not sure for Canon. :confused:

was wondering... If you had to make a decision to get a cpl for either a wa 10-24 or normal 18-55 which would you get

was wondering... If you had to make a decision to get a cpl for either a wa 10-24 or normal 18-55 which would you get

That depends... provided you won't get any lenses that would require 77mm in the future... If you plan for, for example, 70-200mm... then yes, you'll need a 77mm size, which 10-24mm or a number of pro Nikkor lenses use.

Last edited:
That depends... provided you won't get any lenses that would require 77mm in the future... If you plan for, for example, 70-200mm... then yes, you'll need a 77mm size, which 10-24mm or a number of pro Nikkor lenses use.

if not? would you shoot more with the uwa or the normal one, coz obviously that's the one to get cpl for

No filter will change the focal length / field of view of the lens.

I didn't mean that a filter will change the angle of view. I meant that given the an ultra-wide angle lens provides for a very wide angle of view, you risk getting uneven polarization when paired with a polarizing filter.