Polarizing filter for FZ7

Status
Not open for further replies.

slob1

Feb 27, 2006
Hey all, any recomendation for a Polarizing filter. should i go linear or circular. what's the differerence in terms of performance. price range? not thinking of spending too much on this.

also, what size fits the FZ7 adaptor?

any issue of black circular fringe on photos due to additional attachement to the front end.

been taking quite a lot of outdoor shots and realised that the color is not vivid enough (FZ7 actually did well compare to most camera, just wanted to make it even better) without some help so am really considering getting a polarizing filter. (not a big fan of photoshopping photos as it's too much work.)

your advise is very much appreciated. thanks.

slob1 said:
Hey all, any recomendation for a Polarizing filter. should i go linear or circular. what's the differerence in terms of performance. price range? not thinking of spending too much on this.

also, what size fits the FZ7 adaptor?

any issue of black circular fringe on photos due to additional attachement to the front end.

been taking quite a lot of outdoor shots and realised that the color is not vivid enough (FZ7 actually did well compare to most camera, just wanted to make it even better) without some help so am really considering getting a polarizing filter. (not a big fan of photoshopping photos as it's too much work.)

your advise is very much appreciated. thanks.

for digital i think most of the camera MUST use circular... 4got why the reason, but if im not wrong it is due to the focusing. im not sure for fz7, but for fz5, iirc vignett will occur when you stack a UV + a normal CPL filter. but once you take off the UV filter it should be alright. :thumbsup:

as for price a 55mm Hoya normal CPL cost about $40

If you stack 2 filters on top, its sure to vignette. I had the problem with FZ5 when i used the plastic adaptor along with an IR filter and WA, but after i used the metal adaptor the problem was eliminated...

Here's a price quote from CP dated 14/8/06

All 55mm thread.

1 x Hoya HMC UV @S$17.00
1 x Hoya CPL @S$38.00
1 x Hoya Star 6 @S$20.00 (no stock)
1 x Hoya ND4 @S$16.00
1 x Hoya R72 @S$40.00 (no stock)

metallilan said:
If you stack 2 filters on top, its sure to vignette. I had the problem with FZ5 when i used the plastic adaptor along with an IR filter and WA, but after i used the metal adaptor the problem was eliminated...

Here's a price quote from CP dated 14/8/06

All 55mm thread.

1 x Hoya HMC UV @S$17.00
1 x Hoya CPL @S$38.00
1 x Hoya Star 6 @S$20.00 (no stock)
1 x Hoya ND4 @S$16.00
1 x Hoya R72 @S$40.00 (no stock)

Thanks for the price list.
Sorry to sound amateur here, can you kindly explain what all the acronym are.
HMC UV
CPL
Star 6
ND4
R72
:sweat:

slob1 said:
Thanks for the price list.
Sorry to sound amateur here, can you kindly explain what all the acronym are.
HMC UV
CPL
Star 6
ND4
R72
:sweat:

HMC UV - UV filter that basically protects your filter from dirt and thumbprints. the HMC is the Hoya Multi-Coated, which means that your filters are slightly resistant to lens flare.
CPL - Cir-Polarising
Hoya Star 6 - Basically used in night photography to make your lamposts etc have the 6 point star during long exposure
Hoya ND4 - Used to cut down light entering the camera. eg. taking pics of waterfall when you want the waterfall to look smooth and silky without the entire picture overexposing
Hoya R72 - Infrared filter, you may look at my gallery for some samples..

metallilan said:
HMC UV - UV filter that basically protects your filter from dirt and thumbprints. the HMC is the Hoya Multi-Coated, which means that your filters are slightly resistant to lens flare.
CPL - Cir-Polarising
Hoya Star 6 - Basically used in night photography to make your lamposts etc have the 6 point star during long exposure
Hoya ND4 - Used to cut down light entering the camera. eg. taking pics of waterfall when you want the waterfall to look smooth and silky without the entire picture overexposing
Hoya R72 - Infrared filter, you may look at my gallery for some samples..

thanks metallilan for the enlightenment. :)

just manage to get my polarizer last Friday and experimenting with it now.

have a question for those people in the know, how do you use the polarizer properly? looks like my photos are pretty much the same with or without the polarizer. of cource the exposure is different but the net effect of the photo looks the same.:(

need some expert out there to advise. thanks.

BTW, the CPL filter i have is a 52mm Tokina.

use it on a sunny day with clear blue sky.
face 90degree off the sun and turn ur CPL until you see the sky is at its darkness inside the viewfinder.

ExplorerZ said:
use it on a sunny day with clear blue sky.
face 90degree off the sun and turn ur CPL until you see the sky is at its darkness inside the viewfinder.

do i need to half hold my trigger when i do the rotation? or i can just turn untill it turn dark and then do my focusing.

slob1 said:
do i need to half hold my trigger when i do the rotation? or i can just turn untill it turn dark and then do my focusing.

nope, as long as the image is in focus you definitely can see the difference in the sky. when its is at the darkest you can focus and shoot

ExplorerZ said:
nope, as long as the image is in focus you definitely can see the difference in the sky. when its is at the darkest you can focus and shoot

thanks for the tip.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.