Polarizing filter - Circular or Linear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2007
I wanted to get a Polarizing filter for my Canon 40D, EFS 17-55mm lense. However, I am confused by the type of Polarizing filter.

As far as i had read it from wikipedia, I still don't really understand which one to get, a circular ones or linear ones?

Hopefully, someone at CS could advise me on the type of filters that i should get. Thanks in advance.

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
I wanted to get a Polarizing filter for my Canon 40D, EFS 17-55mm lense. However, I am confused by the type of Polarizing filter.

As far as i had read it from wikipedia, I still don't really understand which one to get, a circular ones or linear ones?

Hopefully, someone at CS could advise me on the type of filters that i should get. Thanks in advance.
You'd need a circular one for the NEW AF system, the old linear ones are meant for MF.

it's already mentioned in the Wiki :

The metering and auto-focus sensors in certain cameras, including virtually all auto-focus SLRs, will not work properly with linear polarizers because the beam-splitters used to split off the light for focusing and metering are polarization-dependent. Circular polarizers include a linear polarizer on the front, which selects one polarization of light while rejecting another, followed by a quarter-wave plate, which converts the selected polarization to circularly polarized light inside the camera, which works with all types of cameras, because mirrors and beam-splitters split circularly polarized light the same way they split unpolarized light.

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
circular polarizer filters are highly recommended, if Linear give you free also don't take.
Can still keep...

quite fun when you stack a C-PL with a Linear one... it gives you adjustable ND. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom