Polarizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

justshot

Oct 7, 2005
Hi everyone,

Need some advise here...:)

I intend to get myself a polarizer but not sure which to get. A circular B&W polarizer or the Lee filters. i am only considering these two options. Would like to know the pros and cons.

Appreciate your value input.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

Need some advise here...:)

I intend to get myself a polarizer but not sure which to get. A circular B&W polarizer or the Lee filters. i am only considering these two options. Would like to know the pros and cons.

Appreciate your value input.

Thanks in advance.

Both very exp polarizers... One round and the other square...
I'll vote for the round one anytime. But I'll get the 77mm (my largest lens thread diameter) so I still can use it for the rest of my lenses with step rings.

You may want to consider the Nikon CPII, Hoya Pro1, Kenko Pro1 and B+W Kasselmann... apart from the normal / slim MRC and non MRC Polarizers...

Unless you are doing this for a living, using a simple screw on PL Cir will do. The Cokin system (cheaper than Lee) is good way to go as you can share the different filters regardless of the lens filter size. I have used te Cokin P system for years doing some of my pro work and foung it to be sufficient and you could also use a combination of up to 3 filters if your lens permit. Some people finds this cumbersome while others finds it convinient. Note also that the Cokin P system can use the Lee filters.

So it all comes down to preference. My advise give both system a try, simulate the putting on and taking off of the filters and then make a informed decision.

Thanks for all your comments. I was also introduced the Z-Pro Cokin system since my lens are 77mm.

I can see that using the screw in type would be convenient but not sure how it would be when I had to fix in the brackets and slot in the filter and then shoot. Does it hold nicely when you hand held the camera?

Thanks for all your comments. I was also introduced the Z-Pro Cokin system since my lens are 77mm.

I can see that using the screw in type would be convenient but not sure how it would be when I had to fix in the brackets and slot in the filter and then shoot. Does it hold nicely when you hand held the camera?

The Z-Pro filters are more expensive than the P filters and they are not readily available in Singapore. You may have to order them from overseas.

The C. Polarizer for the Cokin is also a rotating one... not juz plain gelatin / glass. There are gaps by the side to allow rotation of the filter while it's sitting in the filter holder.
I find that the drawback of the Cokin is that you cannot put on your lens hood, and sometimes have to shade with your hands or buy yourself a Cokin hood to prevent flaring. That's the major problem I'm facing with the Cokin P007 IR filter now.

hmmm.. didn't realised that.

Thanks.:)

Jon, you can come over and take my cokin CPL to try anytime. I would go for a 77mm B+W CPL.. Cokin too troublesome and scratch easily.

Thanks Calvin

Status
Not open for further replies.