Polarizer vs Lens Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

justdoit

Sep 29, 2003
Locations
Let's say if you are going to beach to take photo, and you can only use either polarizer or lens hood. Which one would you use?

I prefer polarizer, coz it really enhance the contrast and eliminate reflections.
If the sun is too bright, at most I use my hand to shelter the lens.
What do you photography experts think?

Think both have vastly differing uses.

both...:thumbsup:
CP to "bluen" the seas and sky plus lens hood to shade my lens:embrass:

Is it because u have problem rotating the polarizer when the hood is on? normally i would get the polarizer angle that i want, then put on the hood to minimize flare. it is quite a tedious though

justdoit said:
Let's say if you are going to beach to take photo, and you can only use either polarizer or lens hood. Which one would you use?

I prefer polarizer, coz it really enhance the contrast and eliminate reflections.
If the sun is too bright, at most I use my hand to shelter the lens.
What do you photography experts think?

I would use two as well... but why's there a restriction imposed on either or both?

blackandwhite said:
Is it because u have problem rotating the polarizer when the hood is on? normally i would get the polarizer angle that i want, then put on the hood to minimize flare. it is quite a tedious though

yes, that's right.

yyD70S said:
I would use two as well... but why's there a restriction imposed on either or both?

bcoz I just find that troublesome to rotate the polarizer when the hood is on, like what B+W said. Somemore, you might accidentally touch on the filter glass.

Both are using different methods to achieve the same objective which is to make the picture nicer, but somehow they are not that compatible. Don't know whether technology can help in this.

Huh? What talking you?

A CPL and len hood's usage are totally different! They compliment each other, they don't negate each other!

They are for two diffrerent purpose.

I think I will stick with using polarizer alone

jbma said:
They are for two diffrerent purpose.
he already said earlier that he finds it hard to turn the CP with the hood on and only wants either item on the lens and not both.

it's not really a question as to which function works on the beach but rather which would you prefer on your lens; A hood or a CP?

I personally will choose the CP also for a few reason.
- I would have a nicer sea with less glittery reflections
- a nice deep blue sky
- a better sync speed when using a flash as fill in.

Most cameras can only sync up to 1/250..(D70 being 1/500 from the use eletronic shutter) but let's just stay at 1/250. in a hot sunny afternoon on the beach, I find myself shooting 1/2000 even at f/8 or 11. Good to freeze motion and handshake but when a flash is mounted, the shutter drops to 1/250 (or 1/500) and over-exposure is inevitable.

As for the hood.. there's always many ways to improvise a hood.

Hoya has got these rubber hoods that can retract and extend and which can be screwed onto the Cir PL (provided it is the 'thick' ones which have a front thread). Now you can enjoy best of both worlds.:)

eel, how much is the rubber hood that you talked about. that is something interesting. any viginetting problem?

I have not tried this, but you can try sticking a thin long strip of plastic/paper onto the rim of the polarizer, giving you a "handle" to turn the polarizer even when the hood is on?

justdoit said:
I think I will stick with using polarizer alone

yanyewkay said:
it's not really a question as to which function works on the beach but rather which would you prefer on your lens; A hood or a CP?

I personally will choose the CP also for a few reason.
- I would have a nicer sea with less glittery reflections
- a nice deep blue sky
- a better sync speed when using a flash as fill in.

Most cameras can only sync up to 1/250..(D70 being 1/500 from the use eletronic shutter) but let's just stay at 1/250. in a hot sunny afternoon on the beach, I find myself shooting 1/2000 even at f/8 or 11. Good to freeze motion and handshake but when a flash is mounted, the shutter drops to 1/250 (or 1/500) and over-exposure is inevitable.

As for the hood.. there's always many ways to improvise a hood.

hmm... good idea and very observative

eel said:
Hoya has got these rubber hoods that can retract and extend and which can be screwed onto the Cir PL (provided it is the 'thick' ones which have a front thread). Now you can enjoy best of both worlds.:)

Right, it is useful and you can extend and retract the hood to suit different zoom range of the lens.
I used this product before, too bad before I cover the lens with cap, I have to take out the hood, but it is still good lar, can't be too picky on this already.

blackandwhite said:
eel, how much is the rubber hood that you talked about. that is something interesting. any viginetting problem?

Depends on the thread sized of the hood. I got one 58mm for $18 and 52mm for $15. I think vignetting depends on the lens. That's why the hood has 3 positions you can extend to: Tele, Mid and Wide. Still, its best to test out with lens you intend to use for.

eel said:
Depends on the thread sized of the hood. I got one 58mm for $18 and 52mm for $15. I think vignetting depends on the lens. That's why the hood has 3 positions you can extend to: Tele, Mid and Wide. Still, its best to test out with lens you intend to use for.

where to find this hood? I'd like to get one 55mm... thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.